Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-CPO, Tesla app, and Service Center service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy folks,

I bought a non-CPO 2014 S P85 in Indiana from a dealer (auctioned after lease, clean CarFax) with 43,000 miles on it last week. Drove from Indiana to Texas just fine.

Today, there was a brief "Low Coolant - Contact Tesla Service" warning message on my dashboard that disappeared when I restarted the car. The message hasn't returned, but talking to the Customer Service people, they've told me I can't get into a Service Center until I have a permanent registration with my name and address on it that matches my driver's license. According to the Indiana DMV, it can take up to 60 days to get a new title in my name, which means I don't think I'll have paperwork that's "valid" enough for Tesla to acknowledge I own this vehicle until next year.

Is there any other method to get acceptance by Tesla that I'm the owner of this car, short of having a Texas title? I really don't want to leave the car in my garage until January without getting the warning checked out, but I've run out of ideas.

Do you have a temporary registration with your name on it?

Email [email protected] with a copy of that and your bill of sale, and that should be enough for them to put the car onto your 'my tesla' account page. Then you can get service and app access.

Let them tell you it's not sufficient.

Unfortunately the temporary registration is the paper temp tag. It doesn't have anyone's name on it. I have a bill of sale made out to me, I have an Allstate Texas insurance card, and a Texas vehicle inspection report. Only the insurance card has my name and address on it, and they told me that's not sufficient.