Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-EV’s parked in EV charging parking spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Arthur1116

2021 Model 3 Performance
Jul 8, 2021
Houston, TX
I have been an EV owner for 1 week today. It’s my 1st (Model 3 Performance) and I’m loving it. Well, as a new owner, I constantly look for charging stations when out and about, particularly at malls or shopping centers.

Today, while out with the wife, we went to a shopping center that has 6 total charging stations. Great right? Wrong. 5 non-ev’s were parked in those spots and that really ticked me off. Even before becoming an EV owner, I NEVER thought to park in those spots. It just really bothered me that others do not care about things like that, but I’m honestly not surprised. We were there for 45 minutes and I really could have used the charge. Lol

Anyway, just wanted to vent. Not the biggest thing in the world, but can be a bit frustrating. Loving my new M3P.

Be sure to read the signage in front of those charging spots. Some places declare them to be for public parking (non-EV) and EV charging. Yes, it's irritating to find non-EVs parked in spaces meant for charging (the practice is termed ICEing, for Internal Combustion Engine) but they may have the right to do so.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pac_
Be sure to read the signage in front of those charging spots. Some places declare them to be for public (non-EV) and EV charging. Yes, it's irritating to find non-EVs parked in spaces meant for charging (the practice is termed ICEing, for Internal Combustion Engine) but they may have the right to do so.
That’s good to know. I’m going to check that out the next time I’m around that area. I may not care for it, but if it’s their right to do so, it would make it a bit easier to accept.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have been an EV owner for 1 week today. It’s my 1st (Model 3 Performance) and I’m loving it. Well, as a new owner, I constantly look for charging stations when out and about, particularly at malls or shopping centers.

Today, while out with the wife, we went to a shopping center that has 6 total charging stations. Great right? Wrong. 5 non-ev’s were parked in those spots and that really ticked me off. Even before becoming an EV owner, I NEVER thought to park in those spots. It just really bothered me that others do not care about things like that, but I’m honestly not surprised. We were there for 45 minutes and I really could have used the charge. Lol

Anyway, just wanted to vent. Not the biggest thing in the world, but can be a bit frustrating. Loving my new M3P.
Our local supermarket has an EV only parking space where the charging is free at a rate of about 20 miles of range per hour. It's a nice little perk which we take advantage of whenever possible. Another great feature of this space is that is the closest one to the supermarket's doors. and there is enough room around it that it would be impossible for anyone to open their car door and ding our Tesla. Sometimes another EV beats us to the space - so it goes. But last winter there was a big Dodge Ram Pickup parked there. I parked elsewhere and thought about leaving a note on the truck's windshield but couldn't find a pen. So, instead, I bought a nice big Idaho potato. The truck was still parked there when I left, so I took the potato and crammed it into the truck's tail pipe.

Head over to Facebook. My local Tesla group loves to “shame” vehicles “icing” chargers. “Oh no you put my license plate and a picture of my car so the interwebs is going to come after me”.

A couple weeks ago one guy actually filmed and posted the guy getting into his pickup truck and made a snide remark. He’s lucky he didn’t get that phone shoved where the sun don't shine.

Tim

Reactions: Arthur1116
First of all, I’ve learned something new with the word “ICEing”. Will be using that going forward. 😆

Secondly, I would love to shame and put these “ICE” drivers on blast, but that’s not my thing. Some of these reactions to it are funny though. Trust me, I wanted to park right behind one of them and follow my wife around Sephora without a care in the world.

Many states have laws about parking in charging spots, with either fines or the ability to have the car towed. Unfortunately it looks like Texas isn't one of them.

I parked elsewhere and thought about leaving a note on the truck's windshield but couldn't find a pen. So, instead, I bought a nice big Idaho potato. The truck was still parked there when I left, so I took the potato and crammed it into the truck's tail pipe.
I carry a stack of these in my car, although so far, I've not seen an egregious enough example to leave one:

poor_parking_card.jpg

Reactions: DblOSmith
When I owned my first EV (Honda all-electric Clarity) I noticed that many of the fast chargers– ChargePoint, EVGo, etc.– were installed near the front doors of supermarkets along with disabled parking spaces. I think this offered too great a temptation for ethically-challenged ICE drivers. I really like the fact that most Tesla superchargers are about as far away from the front doors as possible. I think this helps keep them clear of ICE vehicles.

The issue becomes a little more mentally crystallized when you envision rolling into the local Chevron in your M3P, pulling up to pump #3, getting out, locking up, and heading off to shop for the afternoon.

How long before your car gets towed? What would it look like when you get it back? Why is there a double standard, especially when there’s a gas station on every corner?

I’m not looking for trouble, either. But those ICEing drivers, f*** ‘em and hope karma eventually pays out.

Here in Honolulu EV only parking (usually 2-4 hours max) enforced by Statute and even though the signs say while charging, not too unusual to see parked and not plugged in. Cops not ticket prone for such And you have to call 911 to get a cop to show and think about ticketing.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Here in Honolulu EV only parking (usually 2-4 hours max) enforced by Statute and even though the signs say while charging, not too unusual to see parked and not plugged in. Cops not ticket prone for such And you have to call 911 to get a cop to show and think about ticketing.
I’ll politely suggest that 911 should only be used for true emergencies.

I think this might be recent, but here in Toronto, the fine is for Bill 123, dubbed the “Reserved Parking for Electric Vehicle Charging Act,” was passed at Queen's Park Thursday and will make it illegal for a non-electric car to park in a charging spot. Drivers of electric vehicles who are parked in a charging spot but not using the equipment can also face the $125 fine