Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

non-oem tire/rim sizes at national chains (costco, belle tire, etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i tried searching the forums but didn't find any similar threads.

for those with the MYP with aftermarket rims, do you have any issues with getting service at the tire stores (national chains, like Tire barn, belle tire, costco) or maybe even tesla mobile service?

i see on costco's website that they only install tires that meet OEM guidelines, but they only list the michelin sport all seasons.

i don't want to get a 19" rim/tires for my MYP and then find out that no one around me will service them

thanks!

It’s a bit different, but I had no problems getting Costco to mount Bridgestone DriveGuards on my Model 3 that didn’t match the XL weight rating. They didn’t say anything about it.

Might be worth calling and asking how much the local shop cares about the spec on the door sticker.

Discount tire wouldn’t replace a t sportline wheel because of the load rating being different from oem on the rear. I ended up taking it to auto tuning store I’d used in the past and they gave me no issues.

It’s worth noting that the load rating on the oem rear is much higher than what is on the door sticker. Per that sticker the 98 load rating exceeds requirements.

Reactions: TomB985
Costco has a sale on Michelins starting today. Wanting replace the worn OEM P-Zeros on my MYP, I went to my local Costco to see of they had the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires in 265/40/21s for the front and 295/40/21s for the back. They had them in stock. The guy helping me asked me if these were OEM sizes for the MYP and I told him, no, they were larger, and his system confirmed that. He said Costco Tires has a policy of on not installing tires that are 3% larger than the OEM for any car or truck, so he said he wouldn't install them on my MYP. I've heard that some MYP owners have bought these tires from Costco and had them installed there. I guess you need to find a Costco that will look the other way if you want to get 3% larger tires than your OEM tires. America's Tire has these Michelins and said they'll install larger than OEM, and it's on the owner if they don't fit.

Costco has a sale on Michelins starting today. Wanting replace the worn OEM P-Zeros on my MYP, I went to my local Costco to see of they had the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires in 265/40/21s for the front and 295/40/21s for the back. They had them in stock. The guy helping me asked me if these were OEM sizes for the MYP and I told him, no, they were larger, and his system confirmed that. He said Costco Tires has a policy of on not installing tires that are 3% larger than the OEM for any car or truck, so he said he wouldn't install them on my MYP. I've heard that some MYP owners have bought these tires from Costco and had them installed there. I guess you need to find a Costco that will look the other way if you want to get 3% larger tires than your OEM tires. America's Tire has these Michelins and said they'll install larger than OEM, and it's on the owner if they don't fit.
If you order them online, they don't ask when you arrive for install.

Like for ex. have a wrx that came with 205/55/16 that they installed 225/45/18s on obviously non-oem wheels. Not one word was mentioned during install. So don't remind them of it lol.

Reactions: orion48 and TomB985
Had a square set of Tsportline rims and CC2 tires. Went to Town Fair Tire in CT to have them swap the staggered TESLA 21” set on my MYP with the 19” Tsportline set - they refused. Found a guy who has a mobile rig to do the job who will be my go to guy for all my autos in the future.

Point here is call around and explain what you want done, and then explain again, as even then they may still say no way at your appointment.

If you order them online, they don't ask when you arrive for install.

Like for ex. have a wrx that came with 205/55/16 that they installed 225/45/18s on obviously non-oem wheels. Not one word was mentioned during install. So don't remind them of it lol.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, the rears were not in stock online, so that's why I went to Costco. Maybe I just should have called and placed an order?!

Unfortunately, we're limited in options because of the 9.5" wide factory wheels. There are a lot of great 235-width options out there that are less expensive, but they can't be mounted on such a wide wheel. My snow tires are skinny 225/60R18s and perform great in the snow because of the narrow contact patch.

Just wanted to follow up on my previous post. I went to America's Tire for the Michelins and they fit, ride, and look great! They even matched Costco's sales price for the same tires. And, the guys at America's Tire were super helpful and friendly.

Reactions: TomB985