Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-owner config invites have begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t get my VIN until 13 days after I configured. Others much much longer than that for their VINs. You may get it fairly quickly but don’t be surprised if you’re waiting a little bit.

I second this, the wait only seems to be harder after configuring and waiting for a VIN. It took exactly 4 weeks from order to VIN. Delivery however is supposed to be next week ;)

Reactions: Twincam23
( Still some of us California line-waiters with no invite yet... There were lots and lots of people behind me in line too... I waited about 2 hours to put down the deposit. I am starting to wonder if someone put my order on hold at this point. )

Geez...no invite yet or ready to configure.

Non owner reserved in King of Prussia, PA on 3/31/16 at roughly 12/1 PM. Surprised that there are so many who are ahead of me that I would not be included in the “batch” that included someone from the same location who reserved just a couple of hours before me. These batches must be huge (or possible production runs, small).

The best news is thanks to an owner here, last Saturday I was able to see, in person, the exact configuration I plan to order. Thanks again to that classy guy. Unfortunately, after seeing the car and sitting in it, I cannot wait to have it.

I finally just got my invite around 8PM last night (woohoo!) and I was roughly number 25 in line at King of Prussia, PA. When I was leaving around 10:30am, the line was all the way to the mall entrance, easily a few hundred people. If you were not there until 12/1 PM, you're likely to have a little while longer to wait seeing that I only just got mine.

( Still some of us California line-waiters with no invite yet... There were lots and lots of people behind me in line too... I waited about 2 hours to put down the deposit. I am starting to wonder if someone put my order on hold at this point. )

From reading posts, I'm not convinced they are organized enough to single out one car for a Hold. :D

Best I can figure is what others suggested. That they are building cars to some sort of work order plan, then finding an order that matches manually.

It's certainly not FIFO like they said. (First In, First Out).

Geez...no invite yet or ready to configure.

Non owner reserved in King of Prussia, PA on 3/31/16 at roughly 12/1 PM. Surprised that there are so many who are ahead of me that I would not be included in the “batch” that included someone from the same location who reserved just a couple of hours before me. These batches must be huge (or possible production runs, small).
I finally just got my invite around 8PM last night (woohoo!) and I was roughly number 25 in line at King of Prussia, PA. When I was leaving around 10:30am, the line was all the way to the mall entrance, easily a few hundred people. If you were not there until 12/1 PM, you're likely to have a little while longer to wait seeing that I only just got mine.

The reservation was locked in around 12/1 PM. The line waiting started much earlier. That said, I agree with your point, if you reserved somewhere between 9 AM and 10 AM, my reservation came just a few hours after you yet I am not in the same "batch." The good news is my time must be coming.

Best I can figure is what others suggested. That they are building cars to some sort of work order plan, then finding an order that matches manually.

Well, I haven't been invited to configure, so they don't yet know what color and options I will be requesting... I think your theory only applies to people that configured and are waiting for a VIN.

I don't have any good theories on why I haven't been invited to configure yet... From what I can tell, it should have happened by now.

Reactions: geometro
New member, first post, but I've been lurking for a while. I reserved online on 3/31/16, I'm a non-owner, and I'm in Southern California. I received the email to configure yesterday about noon, but I had to wait until about 3:30pm for the site to let me configure (website update issues per Tesla). I went with Silver, 19" wheels, and autopilot... said 3-6 weeks for delivery. Strangely enough, I just got called by a Tesla representative to let me know my Model 3 is ready to pickup! She scheduled me for next Thursday! VIN is in the 12XXX range.

New member, first post, but I've been lurking for a while. I reserved online on 3/31/16, I'm a non-owner, and I'm in Southern California. I received the email to configure yesterday about noon, but I had to wait until about 3:30pm for the site to let me configure (website update issues per Tesla). I went with Silver, 19" wheels, and autopilot... said 3-6 weeks for delivery. Strangely enough, I just got called by a Tesla representative to let me know my Model 3 is ready to pickup! She scheduled me for next Thursday! VIN is in the 12XXX range.
Not strange at all, this was what I theorized a few days ago...that this week would be a large batch of invites and that we could expect to see extremely short times between config and delivery. My theory is that Tesla has been stockpiling cars over the past 4 weeks due to the recent erratic levels of weekly production they had been experiencing. Since it's only wheels and paint, they don't really need to think about the configuration before making the cars.

Not strange at all, this was what I theorized a few days ago...that this week would be a large batch of invites and that we could expect to see extremely short times between config and delivery. My theory is that Tesla has been stockpiling cars over the past 4 weeks due to the recent erratic levels of weekly production they had been experiencing. Since it's only wheels and paint, they don't really need to think about the configuration before making the cars.

Or they have more cars of a specific configuration sitting at a delivery center than the existing orders for them, they may have opened up a lot of invites in the hopes they'll be able to quickly get those cars delivered if one of those invites configures it to exact configuration. While the rest will be queued for future production. This could mean the current batch of orders will take a long time if the ramp isn't going very well. I hope that's not the case, but only time will tell.

Or, what I'm thinking more likely, the car was perhaps assigned to someone else who couldn't take a delivery before the 31st so they invoked the seven day clause and gave it away.

Or they have more cars of a specific configuration sitting at a delivery center than the existing orders for them, they may have opened up a lot of invites in the hopes they'll be able to quickly get those cars delivered if one of those invites configures it to exact configuration. While the rest will be queued for future production. This could mean the current batch of orders will take a long time if the ramp isn't going very well. I hope that's not the case, but only time will tell.

Or, what I'm thinking more likely, the car was perhaps assigned to someone else who couldn't take a delivery before the 31st so they invoked the seven day clause and gave it away.
I think the ramp is going well, the increase in VIN registrations seems to suggest it is.

Also a new member from So Cal watching comments for several weeks. I reserved online on the morning of 4/1. I received the invite yesterday and configured this morning for a midnight silver 19 in wheels with autopilot. I received my receipt for the $2500 but did not complete the registration process yet.
Congrats! Online reservation on 4/1, this will probably annoy a lot of people. Way to go for a 1st post :D