Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Owner - Just Placed my Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Change your address to be in San Diego? Find someone in SD that might be willing to sell their reservation? Otherwise, I feel for you, and think the way they sent out these last invites to be quite odd.

I also think that since I'm not configuring either of my reservations just yet, that I'll end up having to wait an inordinate amount of time when I finally decide to.

As a San Diego line waiter (~11AM reservation) who has yet to receive an invite, I would definitely not recommend changing your address to San Diego. All a San Diego address has done for me is add to the frustration of seeing not just a person in line behind me (someone mentioned reserving at 11:15 and receiving an invite) but also a San Diego online order (particularly irritating). In general, I think people want to feel that there is more systematicity to a process that seems entirely random to this point. Anyway, I can sadly attest that a San Diego address is certainly no ticket to a guaranteed invite.

-J

Replace "stupid band" with "Long range" and "Premium Upgrades"

"oh, oh, you can only get the model 3 with long range and premium upgrades....I don't care about the stupid upgrades!!"

sorry....one of the ways I have to deal with my frustrations on waiting.....

As a San Diego line waiter (~11AM reservation) who has yet to receive an invite, I would definitely not recommend changing your address to San Diego. All a San Diego address has done for me is add to the frustration of seeing not just a person in line behind me (someone mentioned reserving at 11:15 and receiving an invite) but also a San Diego online order (particularly irritating). In general, I think people want to feel that there is more systematicity to a process that seems entirely random to this point. Anyway, I can sadly attest that a San Diego address is certainly no ticket to a guaranteed invite.

-J

That just adds to the confusion as to how they are opening up the invitations!

Which store did you reserve at? I reserved right at noon at Fashion Valley, and a coworker (~9am) as well, and we both were able to configure (prior to the email invitation) on 2/22.

Edit: You've checked your Tesla account, and aren't just waiting for the email invitation, right?

That just adds to the confusion as to how they are opening up the invitations!

Which store did you reserve at? I reserved right at noon at Fashion Valley, and a coworker (~9am) as well, and we both were able to configure (prior to the email invitation) on 2/22.

Edit: You've checked your Tesla account, and aren't just waiting for the email invitation, right?

Ugh, I reserved at Fashion Valley at 11AM (I was hoping at least that maybe the people receiving invites after me were at UTC, as I wouldn't have felt too bad since the line there was supposedly much longer). Check my account every day, still Mar-May for EP, Late 2018 for AWD and Standard. It's annoying.

Ugh, I reserved at Fashion Valley at 11AM (I was hoping at least that maybe the people receiving invites after me were at UTC, as I wouldn't have felt too bad since the line there was supposedly much longer). Check my account every day, still Mar-May for EP, Late 2018 for AWD and Standard. It's annoying.
Bummer. You should try to reach out to someone at Tesla. Something must be wrong. I reserved at Fashion Valley shortly after 10:30 am, and received my notification to configure on 2/22. My VIN was assigned yesterday, but I'm still waiting on a delivery date.

Bummer. You should try to reach out to someone at Tesla. Something must be wrong. I reserved at Fashion Valley shortly after 10:30 am, and received my notification to configure on 2/22. My VIN was assigned yesterday, but I'm still waiting on a delivery date.
Yeah, not sure what I would say. Since my delivery window is Mar to May, we're still well within the window. I'd have to talk to someone in Tesla who is aware that they are prioritizing San Diego (if they are) or at least aware that people who were behind me in the exact same line I was in shouldn't jump me (assuming the system doesn't allow that). Hard to imagine I'd have much success with that.

-J

Yeah, not sure what I would say. Since my delivery window is Mar to May, we're still well within the window. I'd have to talk to someone in Tesla who is aware that they are prioritizing San Diego (if they are) or at least aware that people who were behind me in the exact same line I was in shouldn't jump me (assuming the system doesn't allow that). Hard to imagine I'd have much success with that.

-J
Well, if it were me, I'd call "(888) 51-TESLA" and politely explain that I waited in line on 3/31/16 to make my reservation, and that I've learned from some fellow non-owners, that were behind me in line, that they have already received their invitations to configure, and can you please take a look at my account and see if there's a problem?

Why wait until May passes, to find out they lost your reservation in the system? Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Well, if it were me, I'd call "(888) 51-TESLA" and politely explain that I waited in line on 3/31/16 to make my reservation, and that I've learned from some fellow non-owners, that were behind me in line, that they have already received their invitations to configure, and can you please take a look at my account and see if there's a problem?

Why wait until May passes, to find out they lost your reservation in the system? Just my $0.02. Good luck!

That went pretty much as I expected. Person didn't know why someone behind me would get an invite before me, but since I'm in Mar-May delivery timeline, I should expect an invite "soon". Soon being relative, of course...

Well, if it were me, I'd call "(888) 51-TESLA" and politely explain that I waited in line on 3/31/16 to make my reservation, and that I've learned from some fellow non-owners, that were behind me in line,

Of course, I don't think I ever read that Elon said it would be first-come, first-served.....and since Telsa has filled online orders prior to line-waiters, it is clear that it is not FIFO.

Seems like this thread went dead and production actually slowed down rather than speeding up. Its been over two weeks since initial invites went out to non Tesla owners.
  • The parking lot at the factory seems to be producing more Model S and X rather than Model 3's.
  • No new VIN's have been registered in the last couple weeks

Seems like this thread went dead and production actually slowed down rather than speeding up. Its been over two weeks since initial invites went out to non Tesla owners.
  • The parking lot at the factory seems to be producing more Model S and X rather than Model 3's.

I agree. Was hoping for more non-owner invites...line waiters or online...anything. A friend of mine reserved in the Dedham, MA, store at 10:30am ET...I would have expected him to get an invite by now.

I agree there was ~2-3 week gap of something, I'm guessing they actually halted the line for that time to fix something. Maybe waiting the factory-thingy from Germany, or supplier problem, or they found out part that was bad and waited replacement part until resume production. But they also expected to get the line up soon (or already) as they started sending more invites about week ago.

So my expectation is that (assuming the re-start of M3 line goes ok) we'll start getting lot of cars soon, hopefully they are hitting the 2500/week any day now.

If we see 10k VIN soon that's the first indication. Next good indication about the production rate would be if they start registering larger chunks of VINs. Not 1000 at a time, rather 2500-5000 at a time.

Reactions: C141medic