Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-owners, did you get invite to configure?

Non-owner, received invite to configure?

• Yes

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 225 90.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think that current owners are already familiar with much of the operations of a Tesla from the aspects of the car itself to the software so to me it seems like a logical approach. Less questions to the call center on things, especially from those totally new to EVs. Right now they have their hands full on all fronts going forward and trying to do their best in the shortest amount of time. When you consider the expansion of the factory, car/semi product line, stores, delivery centers, service centers, superchargers, destination charger program, gigafactories, energy products, it's really quite ambitious and I think they've accomplished quite a lot in the short amount of time they've had so far.

Waiting to get our Model 3 so haven't experienced this yet ourselves but from what I've read the deliveries to the customers at the pick up location are very short with not much time taken up on what you need to know.

Last edited:
We have to keep in mind the business aspect of this move. Owners get cars first because tesla makes more money this way and stays in business, and keeps shareholders happy about cash operations. Duck move for everyone in line on day one but a necessary move to make sure they stay afloat without raising capital again.

You guys make it sound like we'll waste Tesla's time asking questions like whether it requires regular or premium fuel and what kind of motor oil it takes. Tesla has sold 100,000 cars to first time customers. I don't think current owners present a single logistical advantage. It's just a nice gesture to the people who helped Tesla get here.

Reactions: McRat
In a capitalist society it would have nice to have those willing to pay more move up in the queue. Basically, you must order a fully loaded model or wait until that demand is satisfied first.
More cash for Tesla.
Instead, you have folk trying to flip their Model 3's at a markup that could have gone to Tesla instead to improve their cash position. Folk who ordered to flip the cars could still do it, but Tesla income increases also.

1) Tesla Owners, line waiters, ordering the fully optioned version.
2) Tesla Owners, online order, full option.
3) Conquest buyers, line waiters, full option.
4) Conquest buyers, online order, full option.

Then once that has been filled, start again but with base Model 3LR (plus customer requested options).

That would have made the most business sense.

Reactions: Pescakl1
In a capitalist society it would have nice to have those willing to pay more move up in the queue. Basically, you must order a fully loaded model or wait until that demand is satisfied first.
More cash for Tesla.
Instead, you have folk trying to flip their Model 3's at a markup that could have gone to Tesla instead to improve their cash position. Folk who ordered to flip the cars could still do it, but Tesla income increases also.

I had this thread going discussing "flippers":
Marked up resale model 3s showing up on eBay

Not everyone found the quick sales to be annoying... Some claimed that people got their cars and changed their minds. Some claimed it is perfectly fine to price arbitrage like that if you get the opportunity.

One of the bigger points of contention ended up being about the tax credits when someone buys then sells right away. Also, attempts to transfer reservations (for a fee) through some mechanism that skirts Tesla's "no transfer" policy.

Last edited:
Yes, and it seems that they have opened it up for secondary reservations now too. And to other areas further from the factory.

People had the ability to reserve 2. They gave owners priority for each Tesla they owned. So if they had 1 Tesla, one reservation got priority and the other didn't.
But apparently, reservers with only 1 Tesla are now being invited to order their 2nd Model 3 even before non-owners who reserved before them.

Some 1 Tesla owners had reported seeing different delivery estimates on their 2 reservations, but it sounds like some of those secondary Model 3 reservations are being allow to configure earlier than what Tesla originally had shown them as an estimate.

In other words, it sounds like Tesla has shifted to favoring having already owned a Tesla before as a bigger factor in when you get invited to configure.

So having waited in line before the reveal, and living near the factory seems to be not as important as I first thought in terms of when configuration is offered.

Another thought: Maybe Tesla is thinking that previous owners are more inclined to afford the LR + PUP, and they figure that new owners (who couldn't afford an S or X) are more interested in SR without PUP, so they are delaying offering configuration until SR without PUP is available?

I am wondering what they will do when they start to offer those... Will the "line" switch to just making SR cars for a while, or will they start making a mix based on what people want?

Part of me wants to assume that they will continue to offer LR & PUP alongside SR & non-PUP because there could be more profit for them.
Also, some non-owners (like me) will stretch to get LR+PUP because they have compelling benefits worth the extra $.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Yes, and it seems that they have opened it up for secondary reservations now too. And to other areas further from the factory.

People had the ability to reserve 2. They gave owners priority for each Tesla they owned. So if they had 1 Tesla, one reservation got priority and the other didn't.
But apparently, reservers with only 1 Tesla are now being invited to order their 2nd Model 3 even before non-owners who reserved before them.

Some 1 Tesla owners had reported seeing different delivery estimates on their 2 reservations, but it sounds like some of those secondary Model 3 reservations are being allow to configure earlier than what Tesla originally had shown them as an estimate.

In other words, it sounds like Tesla has shifted to favoring having already owned a Tesla before as a bigger factor in when you get invited to configure.

So having waited in line before the reveal, and living near the factory seems to be not as important as I first thought in terms of when configuration is offered.

If this is true it is dissapointing. I get the thank you gesture, but the people who waited in line, some in the cold, to drop $1k on a car they had never seen should get their cars before anyone, unless that person is an owner. It is a slap in the face to give priority to people who came in the next day and ordered from thier couch at lunch, just because they could afford a Model X. Some of those line waiters are counting on the credit. All of them are Tesla fans. All of them have been talking up the brand. It is time to thank them, and not with a picture of a car on a note.

I believe it's true. That's why I am disappointed. Even though I prefer non PUP, but I was going to get long range from the start. Stretching to get PUP is to get the cars earlier. I think they will find that more Non Owner will get the cars now compare to current owners with multiple reservations. Current owners can wait longer, non owners are planning to replace their current cars at least for me...

People talk about waiting being good because the car will only get better (as they work out any ‘bugs’) but this headliner downgrade thing makes me think that the car is being downgraded over time and so it is better to get one while they still have the higher quality materials.

Also I think the panels and paint don’t always come out perfect from the robot production line so some hand rework (like buffing the paint finish) has to be done and if they are increasing the production rate each panel may not get as much time/attention on the ‘touch up’ process.

It is possible that the earlier cars were better in some ways.

Yes, but I can see it already. Priority goes first to Roadster, Model S/X, then Model 3 owners. Which I will fully understand when it happens.

I don't. Can you imagine if you waited in line for hours to get the new iphone, then when you got to the front of the line they said "Gee, we really appreciate your support! No, REALLY! Here is a card with a picture of an iphone on it to prove it. THIS phone I am holding in my hand is going to people who purchased apple products in the past. Yours will arrive in 4-5 months. Again, thank you so much for waiting in the cold for hours. Enjoy your picture of a phone."

Reactions: FE9000