Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non pano roof rear headroom - owners feedback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for input from non pano roof owners on rear headroom compared to pano roof rear headroom. Is headroom same as pano behind the glass / just above rear headrests? hoping to avoid pano roof ( reliability,limited use in Norway).

And a related question; does the non pano come with roof rack fixing points?

Thanks,

Looking for input from non pano roof owners on rear headroom compared to pano roof rear headroom. Is headroom same as pano behind the glass / just above rear headrests? hoping to avoid pano roof ( reliability,limited use in Norway).

Thanks,
Can't say how much less headroom there is for sure. But the rep at the Scottsdale stores implied it would be about 2-3 inches. And there is definitely no roof rack mount points without the pano roof. That is an odd choice to me, but it is the current setup.

If you want adults to be able to sit in the back, you have to have the pano roof.

No. The solid roof was an afterthought. what I would like to see is the pano glass and mounting points but none of the mechanicals. That really should be easy an inexpensive to do.

2-3 inches is a lot of missing headroom! Wonder what occupies the space????

I think it depends on where you measure it. where the heads are likely to be it's more like 50 mm. My guess is that that it was done like that either for ease of construction or for looks. I think it would have been better to allow the headliner to follow the contours. That would keep the headroom available rather than reduce it (and I wouldn't have to purchase the pano roof--and the ONLY reason I'm getting pano is so that adults can sit in the back).

Think about the windows in your house (assuming you have typical windows). The glass is 1"-2" horizontally offset from the wall. Same thing in the Model S. Presumably the empty space has insulation.

I have been in (non-sunroof) cars where the rear headliner goes up and forms a kind of pocket above the rear passengers to provide more rear seat headroom. I can't remember for sure, but it might have been a friend's Lincoln. With the space available, you'd thing Tesla could do something similar.

I have been in (non-sunroof) cars where the rear headliner goes up and forms a kind of pocket above the rear passengers to provide more rear seat headroom. I can't remember for sure, but it might have been a friend's Lincoln. With the space available, you'd thing Tesla could do something similar.

Perhaps they did it to sell more pano roofs.

It's a couple of inches difference between the two. I can sit in the back of the pano roof car comfortably but I can't sit in the back of a non-pano roof car. I have to sit with my head tilted to one side. If you want an adult to be comfortable in the back seat, get the pano roof.

Thanks,

I've sat in cars with and without the pano roof. I'm 6-4. Headroom in front is fine with or without the pano. If you plan to use the rear seat for adults, you'll want the pano roof. And yes, there are roof rack attachment points at the outer edge of the roof.