TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Non pano roof rear headroom - owners feedback?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Andvib, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Andvib

Andvib Member

Looking for input from non pano roof owners on rear headroom compared to pano roof rear headroom. Is headroom same as pano behind the glass / just above rear headrests? hoping to avoid pano roof ( reliability,limited use in Norway).

And a related question; does the non pano come with roof rack fixing points?

Thanks,

2. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Very good question. I hope someone can answer it.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Can't say how much less headroom there is for sure. But the rep at the Scottsdale stores implied it would be about 2-3 inches. And there is definitely no roof rack mount points without the pano roof. That is an odd choice to me, but it is the current setup.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you want adults to be able to sit in the back, you have to have the pano roof.

No. The solid roof was an afterthought. what I would like to see is the pano glass and mounting points but none of the mechanicals. That really should be easy an inexpensive to do.

5. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

2-3 inches is a lot of missing headroom! Wonder what occupies the space????

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

7. jerry33

I think it depends on where you measure it. where the heads are likely to be it's more like 50 mm. My guess is that that it was done like that either for ease of construction or for looks. I think it would have been better to allow the headliner to follow the contours. That would keep the headroom available rather than reduce it (and I wouldn't have to purchase the pano roof--and the ONLY reason I'm getting pano is so that adults can sit in the back).

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Headliners are typically not just glued to the existing roof panels - think 'dropped tile ceiling'. There's some air space in there.

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Think about the windows in your house (assuming you have typical windows). The glass is 1"-2" horizontally offset from the wall. Same thing in the Model S. Presumably the empty space has insulation.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have been in (non-sunroof) cars where the rear headliner goes up and forms a kind of pocket above the rear passengers to provide more rear seat headroom. I can't remember for sure, but it might have been a friend's Lincoln. With the space available, you'd thing Tesla could do something similar.

11. jerry33

Perhaps they did it to sell more pano roofs.

12. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

It's a couple of inches difference between the two. I can sit in the back of the pano roof car comfortably but I can't sit in the back of a non-pano roof car. I have to sit with my head tilted to one side. If you want an adult to be comfortable in the back seat, get the pano roof.

13. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I've sat in cars with and without the pano roof. I'm 6-4. Headroom in front is fine with or without the pano. If you plan to use the rear seat for adults, you'll want the pano roof. And yes, there are roof rack attachment points at the outer edge of the roof.

14. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Great news! So, when you say there are roof rack attachments on the non pano roof????????

15. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Sorry. Not positive on that. I do recall seeing them on the pano model. It would seem odd not to include them on both versions.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Perhaps odd, but that's been the official answer AFAIK since at least last (2011) October: only the pano roof gets the roof rack attach points.

17. jerry33

No, the mount points are only on the pano roof. (unless that's changed within the past couple of weeks.

18. Andvib

Andvib Member

thanks, then its pano for me due to more headroom and rack fixing points. Strange decisions though, I suspect this is two issues that will be improved rather quickly. Oh well.

19. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

As of my visit to the Scottsdale showroom a week ago, the non-pano will not include roof mount points.

20. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I will be in Phoenix in February. Scottsdale has a MS with non-pano roof ????