Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Performance AWD test drive this Sat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Naples, Fl store just got an AWD and I scheduled a test drive Sat morning. I will post back my impressions. I may even try and get an approximate 0-60. I had already signed up for a test drive on Tesla.com but apparently calling the location is a better bet.
That's interesting. I've read in a few different places that the folks in the stores are claiming to have performance cars, but end up really only having the standard LR3 available. Might be worth confirming before you drive down there. Unless, of course, you don't mind driving a standard 3, or the drive isn't too far. Please do report back if you get to hop in the AWD 3!

So how was the drive?
I had posted my impressions on another thread, sorry.
Car is great. A little smaller than I thought but I'm fine with that. RWD has a slight flat spot in acceleration from 0-10 or 20mph. Feels nerfed. Handling is fantastic. and I am a former S2000, as well as Toyota MR2 Turbo and BMW 3 series owner.
I ordered AWD 2 days later mainly for acceleration improvement.

Reactions: Arpe and Ormond
If you really were an ap1, sw20 and an e36 owner, then I finally have an opinion I can trust.:)
I had to look up those designations, but yes on all three :)
MR2 Turbo was 1990 model, WHite with blue interior. S2000 delivered Sept 2000, Silver with Red interior.
The BMW was a 1994 with manual transmission. Man that car handled nice for a sedan, but it broke all the time so traded it in before the warranty expired.

Reactions: kablammyman
I just took a test drive at the Boca Raton, FL store with a RWD model. Just some thoughts and questions:

1. Love the sound system on this car. It is probably the best I have ever heard

2. The acceleration is really good on this car. Definitely more power than my BMW 328. I can't see a need to upgrade to AWD / Performance for the additional power

3. This was my first time using Autopilot from the driver seat and it definitely was a cool feeling to be able to just let go of the steering wheel and let the car go on its own

4. My one complaint with AP was that it felt a little jerky at times. Is that normal? I did enable it on the highway when it was raining and about bumper to bumper, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

5. With no display in front of the driver seat, i felt like I could move the steering wheel to a lower position than I normally would with my car

6. I really wish there was a HUD on this car. I have it on my BMW and I really like it.

7. Everyone seems to love using regen braking, but I couldn't stand it. It felt like the car was slamming on the breaks when I took my foot off the accelerator. Is there something I was doing wrong? I switched regen to low after the second stop

8. I couldn't quite get the GPS to work the way I wanted it to. I always set my car GPS to mode: up is direction of travel. I tried playing with it a little bit and could never keep the GPS to have the car show up in the position I expect it to. Is there a way to set the GPS to act like a standard car GPS / Garmin while driving without a destination entered?

9. The drivers position was very open and roomy

10. When adjusting the driver side mirror I noticed that it doesn't adjust as high as I would want it to go if I move the mirror all the way to the left. I think I would need more time in the car to get the mirror adjustments correct

11. I am 6'3'' and there is no way I could sit behind myself in the rear seat, although that is the case for most cars. I guess I am used to my 328 GT that has extra rear leg room

12. The guy from Tesla kept on changing the wipers to different manual modes on the center display. Do you guys usually do that, or just let the Auto mode work its magic?

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
7. Everyone seems to love using regen braking, but I couldn't stand it. It felt like the car was slamming on the breaks when I took my foot off the accelerator. Is there something I was doing wrong?

Don't think "accelerator", think "speed control". Taking your foot clear off is the issue. If you don't want to slow down a lot you only partially lift your foot. Do you have experience with driving a standard? Treat it sort of like you're in a standard transmission vehicle that is always downshifted.

It's definitely a skill to build but tends to come fairly quickly, probably within a couple of days you'll be pretty good at moderating de-acceleration to the velocity you want to be at (it'll also not be as surprising when it happens).....and then watch out when you switch back to a vehicle without it. Scared the crap out of myself a couple times "oh yeah, brakes are a thing". ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic and Arpe