TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Non premium interior lighting - footwell lacking wiring harness

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by thisisnew, Dec 20, 2016.

1. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

First, thanks for all the member contributions. These contributions made the purchasing decision easy for me.

Background
    -Non premium interior MX 60D. Took delivery this past weekend
    -No major issues at delivery, except needing a few FWD alignment corrections
    -LED lighting in the front driver and passenger area, trunk and frunk

Question
    -Realized there was no LED underneath the driver and passenger seats. Is this common for non premium interior owners? I thought the wiring harness came with all trims?

Tesla service is no help, they either punted the question or don't know what I was talking about. Even a visit to the service center was no help.

• Informative x 1
  2. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

3. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

If you find them under the front seats let us all know!

I think it might have been there for some of the earlier builds and was something Tesla phased out. Kind of like how they delivered some cars with the active spoiler and then without notice changed them to the fixed ones.

4. SUMD

SUMD Member

+1.

Really wish Tesla made things like extra LEDs available à la carte.

5. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

I can only speak for a MS, but the wires are standard on those seats regardless of options. They are not easy to find, but look closely and you may find a wire with a plug in connector for the light bulb taped to the wiring harness under the seat. Tesla seems to simplify production by including the same wiring harness for interior lighting on all cars.

6. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Following,

I took delivery as well and I'm really into lighting modifications.

MX getting tinted and wrapped so will be on the lookout as well once I get it back!

7. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

Taking the car for FWD repairs next week, will talk to the service center about the wiring harness. There is wiring inside the opening (tape down), but not sure if it's the connector the LED lights. Will continue to update as soon as I find out more.

Related note, the white + red LED upgrades do make a difference at night. Not only for looks, but functionally better.

• Like x 2
  8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

That's what we all like to hear. Functional, looks nice and inexpensive as far as mods go!

9. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

IMG_9645.JPG Confirmed! Wire harness is there under the driver and passenger seats. I have a non-PUP.

Attached Files:

10. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Sweet! What VIN are you roughly? Also, if it's not too much trouble can you try to describe where it was of what it was attached to?

11. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

Vin #17xxx.
    I was kind of easy to find for me since I used a mini pipe camera. I'm sure you could find it by either reaching through the fabric opening on the sides, but the opening is pretty small. The other possiblity is inserting your fingers in the middle area (there's an opening with a thin plastic strip).

The wire is just like the wire in the frunk. I tested this out by removing my frunk light while waiting for my AO bulbs to arrive.

12. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Ah, it is pretty difficult for me to see in there and it's beneath the cloth so I was hoping it was at a nice and easy location haha. I'll dig around some more, just trying to not cut/rip the cloth and potentially make things difficult for me if something happens.

13. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Found them! Pretty easy once I did one side.

I found it easiest to tug on the cloth in the middle of the seat right at where it merges with the black cylinder. Tugged hard enough and it popped out a small black plastic piece that keeps it tucked away. The connection for the light was right there and is held down with a zip tie.

Now I just need to make it stay and look good, unless it looks fine at night!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

Confirmed as well, for the non pup version of the Model X. Many thanks to @LuckyX

Instructions:
    -Get a wire cutter, the zip tie is to the right of the plastic housing directly in the center of each seat
    -Carefully cut it, apply some pressure, not too much
    -Route the wiring harness through the opening of the housing
    -Install LED, it's installed at an angle, it should fit perfectly, secure the cloth around the opening

Hard to take pictures, but the wiring harness is there

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1