Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-PUP X Owners: Would You Upgrade to Self-Presenting Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely consider purchasing an option for the self presenting door for a reasonable price. But since it is now included in the base price shouldn't this be available as a no cost upgrade?

They increased the base price so it’s not just added to it, not “included” in the former base price you and I paid.

Wonder if anyone’s worked a hack to enable such features in the system?

Just took delivery of an MX 100D - would have got this feature at $3K cheaper since it's part of base now. Damn.

Yes I would have it added, if the price were reasonable. They should be able to grandfather in the non-hardware aspects of PUP. For some people the self-presenting door feature brings an accessibility benefit, and now that it's standard I wish existing MX owners could have it enabled.

I must admit I don't get why self presenting doors are such a big draw. Seems very gimicky.

My wife was parking her car (not a Model X) in the gym car park alongside her friend who has a Model X. She spotted her friend standing in the car park seemingly waiting to approach the car. My wife asked why she was standing there - she said if she got too close she was worried the door would self open into the path of my wife's car.

Incidentally - it was her gym friends that led us to a Model X purchase. They seem to be changing in droves from Range Rovers, Escalades etc to Model X's. My wife of course had to have one.....

Self present doors in the UK “my view” is a waste our parking spaces are tiny it’s gonna be a challenge to just get parked and out the door never mind self present. :)

I discovered the other day that my parking spaces at work are only jut over 2 meters wide... if I count the wing mirrors it’s gonna be a snug fit thank got for summon is all I can say

Self present doors in the UK “my view” is a waste our parking spaces are tiny it’s gonna be a challenge to just get parked and out the door never mind self present. :)

I discovered the other day that my parking spaces at work are only jut over 2 meters wide... if I count the wing mirrors it’s gonna be a snug fit thank got for summon is all I can say

Your doors are going to get a lot of dings. You can use summon, every other car cant

Zero interest in self presenting doors, I can see so many situations where it would be a problem. I would like it on the fob though. Wish they had rear seat heaters and premium sound ala cart when I ordered, would have paid for those two but the rest of PUP not needed so I passed.

I personally wouldn't upgrade to self presenting doors. I can see it getting annoying at times. Especially going into garage for some reason or another. Bio defence mode maybe

There may be one reason "non-interested" parties might still want the self-presenting door feature even if they won't use it: I believe your key fob can open the front doors, in addition to FWD, when you have the self-presenting door feature available. I think you can turn it off, yet still open your front doors w/ key fob. Can any PUP owners in here confirm?

My 2 cents after having both PUP/non-PUP:

- Self presenting door helps everyday when returning to car holding 2 Starbucks mocha's.
- Walk-by unintended openings in garage & driveway is disrupting (I hate that), but door does close itself soon after.
- Bio-defense is seldom needed, but about once a month, a stinking diesel in traffic is in front of me, and then it is the most welcome feature of the car. And I carry passenger smokers on occasions, and crank the Bio-system w/o announcing anything, it helps a lot.
- Never noticed the lighting difference.

Zero interest in self presenting doors, I can see so many situations where it would be a problem. I would like it on the fob though. Wish they had rear seat heaters and premium sound ala cart when I ordered, would have paid for those two but the rest of PUP not needed so I passed.

You make a good point: even those not interested in the self-presenting doors feature might still like the feature (w/ auto-present off) for the simple fact that key fob gets the ability to open front doors with this PUP feature enabled. I think that's the case, asking around for any PUP owners to confirm.

Reactions: Kacey Green
There may be one reason "non-interested" parties might still want the self-presenting door feature even if they won't use it: I believe your key fob can open the front doors, in addition to FWD, when you have the self-presenting door feature available. I think you can turn it off, yet still open your front doors w/ key fob. Can any PUP owners in here confirm?
Probably yes, I can't remember for sure on non-pup. Double fob click (on top) opens driver door, doing again opens passenger front door. Helpful because you're very likely to carry a passenger who can't open themselves.

Probably yes, I can't remember for sure on non-pup. Double fob click (on top) opens driver door, doing again opens passenger front door. Helpful because you're very likely to carry a passenger who can't open themselves.
To me, having the ability to open the front passenger door with the key fob was such a nice luxury when we had a loaner X. Too bad that creature comfort was part of the PUP. Oh well.

Reactions: Kacey Green
That’s a definite no. The auto present and fob-door-opening are bundled together in one “Automatic Door” setting, which is really annoying because I wanted fob opening but not self present and it’s not possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximus-MX
Just curious — why do you not want self-presenting doors?
Just different needs. My kid's school has angled parking spaces and there have been instances where my door has hit (or almost) the adjacent cars because the FWD is not sensing any obstacles but in reality my driver door is up against adjacent car's quarter panel.

I also have 3 young kids. If they walk in front of me in the garage, they'd get scared by the self-present door when it pops open. If they walk behind me, they'd definitely get hit by the door ;)