Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-PUP X Owners: Would You Upgrade to Self-Presenting Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla has included all PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) features to the base model X, I don't see a problem offering us an option to upgrade to self-presenting doors to non-PUP X owners for a reasonable price.

Before the PUP was included in the base price, I understand that offering this option, a la carte, will take a market away from the $5000-$6000 package upgrade option. That is no longer the case. As long as this can be done without hardware upgrade, this is money sitting there for Tesla to grab just by clicking a few buttons.

I called Tesla today and the representative I talked to agreed that it makes sense (and it seems doable by software upgrade). He told me to further investigate the issue and get back to me by email. I will update when I hear back.

What are your thoughts? If you are a non-PUP X owner, would you be willing to pay a "reasonable" price to upgrade to self-presenting doors?

I'd rather they give an option to upgrade to Bio-Defence Mode.

I remember that they were giving that offer a while back (for $750?) and then they stopped. Now, the same logic of self-presenting door upgrade applies to this one too, except that you need to visit the SC for the installation. Doing so doesn't take a market away from anything. Win-win situation for both parties.

Count me in. When I purchased my X last December, the sales person did not even know that the front doors would not open with the fob. She said that the PUP was for the self presenting doors that I did not really care about. I just wanted to open the doors with the fob even if I have to purchase the upgrade.

Reactions: Kacey Green
They might decide in the coming weeks to offer some of the PUP features as a la carte now PUP is standard. Why not realize some extra $$ from customers willing to pay?

I asked my SC about the HEPA filter today. They said they offered it as standalone a while back but are not allowed to anymore. I think that might change soon. Nothing to lose for Tesla now as PUP isn’t an option.

I'd rather they give an option to upgrade to Bio-Defence Mode.

Agreed, although I think there are threads showing a DIY option for biohazard.

Don’t see myself ever paying for presenting doors. Tested it out and not sure if I want doors always opening when I am walking by the car. Even if free likely would use for a little while and then turn the feature off. Would rather have an option to selectively open front doors with key fob. Another interesting poll would be to ask those with PUP how often they keep the feature on, that would help us without the feature gauge how useful it is in day to day life.

Reactions: Tom Kilroy
I would prob be willing to pay max like $500, and even then I probably wouldn’t. But it’s a good idea to just capture some more money if it’s just software switches. They should bring back BWD mode since it’s a quick SC task, even mobile guys could easily do, and people are buying hepa filter or 3rd party filter anyhow.

I have a 60d, I'm still waiting on them to drop the price on the battery upgrade to unlock the rest of my battery to 75d...

Finally while I’m asking for pure software upgrades, I hope one day they offer just TACC for $1000 or AP1 equivalent for original $2500 for my model 3 as I could not justify $5k for EAP since we have it already in the model X.

I remember that they were giving that offer a while back (for $750?) and then they stopped. Now, the same logic of self-presenting door upgrade applies to this one too, except that you need to visit the SC for the installation. Doing so doesn't take a market away from anything. Win-win situation for both parties.
For $200 you can get them to install the bioweapon hepa filter but they now refuse to activate the button. That said you do outside Air Max power and it’s the same :)

Maybe now they WILL activate it eh?!

Not sure it will happen... I spoke with my SC this week about buying the HEPA filter or getting the BIo upgrade and he told me which i disagreed with him

“There is no way to upgrade the car as you didn’t order pup”

I told him to just google it and he’ll see how wrong he was.

I guess time will tell
Don’t ask for bioweapon. Call SC. Give part number of the HEPA filter and schedule an installation. Do NOT mention word “bioweapon”. That’s it. Easy

Don’t ask for bioweapon. Call SC. Give part number of the HEPA filter and schedule an installation. Do NOT mention word “bioweapon”. That’s it. Easy
They won’t sell the HEPA filter anymore - I asked for the part, didn’t mention BWD and this is the response I got:

“That is a great question. A few months ago, Tesla had an option for retrofitting the HEPA air filtration system onto the Model X's that did not have the Premium Upgrades Package. This was only for a short amount of time. Since then, we have discontinued adding this feature to cars without Premium Upgrade Package. I am sorry for this news, but I am here to help in any way I can.”

• Informative
They won’t sell the HEPA filter anymore - I asked for the part, didn’t mention BWD and this is the response I got:

“That is a great question. A few months ago, Tesla had an option for retrofitting the HEPA air filtration system onto the Model X's that did not have the Premium Upgrades Package. This was only for a short amount of time. Since then, we have discontinued adding this feature to cars without Premium Upgrade Package. I am sorry for this news, but I am here to help in any way I can.”
With all the comments about the way Tesla is responding to loyal X and S customers, I hope they really care about us and will continue to consider us accordingly. A company that really care about customers will always find reasonable ways to keep them happy. The first step would be to give more latitude to the SC for proposing and handling upgradable items like HEPA filters, Self-Presenting Doors and why not having the ability of upgrading the audio system. This would allow our SC to maintain high levels of customer satisfaction and would provide them with good after sales income. As they start giving more freedom to SC, they should also consider allowing independent certified garages to handle many of the repairs/maintenance but this is a subject by itself.

It seems unlikely Tesla would do anything to increase the activity at Service Centers, by offering additional post-delivery upgrade options. They're focused right now on building capacity to support the increasing number of Model 3's - and having owners come in to install hardware upgrades would work against them right now.

However, there are a number of software-limited features (battery packs, high amp chargers, self presenting doors, …). Even if post-delivery software upgrades are available, those owners have decided not to do those upgrades.

If Tesla offered a one-time discount for activating these features, they might encourage some of those owners to purchase the upgrades - and quickly generate additional revenue, with little or no cost to activate those features.

Our S 100D came with only the 48A charging enabled. Activating the 72A charging was $1500 at purchase or $1900 after delivery. About a month after deliver, Tesla included 72A charging in all 100D's - at no additional charge. According to Tesla, our 100D has the 72A hardware already, and would only need a software activation. While spending $1900 for an additional 24A - that we likely would rarely, if ever, use, is too much, if Tesla gave us a one-time offer to activate at $500-$1000 - it might be tempting to do it.

I suspect X owners without PUP might consider paying to activate the self-presenting doors, if the price was reasonable.

If Tesla is asking their suppliers to provide cash back to Tesla to help them achieve profitability - why not give the owners the ability to activate the software limited features - and also generate a short term boost of revenue?