Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-PUP X Owners: Would You Upgrade to Self-Presenting Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have self presenting door feature on my X, and I have turned it off... it is actually dangerous and a gimmick in my opinion. Just google some videos of a door opening as an owner walks up then gets taken off by some vehicle not expecting the driver door to fly open.

Except you can't as both features are bundled in a single "Automatic Door" toggle.

Yeah... I wish they would fix that. The self-presenting thing is a giant PIA, but I did like being able to double click to open driver, then passenger door. Almost seems as if it should be the other way around: if the doors are self-presenting, why do you even need the double click feature? Where you need it is when self-presenting is off.

Yeah... I wish they would fix that. The self-presenting thing is a giant PIA, but I did like being able to double click to open driver, then passenger door. Almost seems as if it should be the other way around: if the doors are self-presenting, why do you even need the double click feature? Where you need it is when self-presenting is off.
Yea I agree. However the fob opening also lets you open passenger side on the subsequent double click.

Sometimes it just makes you wonder why they implement a feature certain way that’s not user friendly / configurable. It’s very counter intuitive. It can’t be that difficult to unbundle them right? I mean heck, fob opening was even available to non-pup cars for a short while before they patched it.

I would want the ability to open the front door with the key fob and would pay $1000. Any official response yet?

They didn't email me as promised, but I called the national center again today.

I was told that they were working on it to find answers. However, the representative put me on hold to talk to my local service center. She came back saying that both self-presenting doors and the bio weapon mode require hardware changes. The bio weapon situation is obvious (as the cold weather package) but I insisted to make sure if the self-presenting door really need hardware change. I also mentioned it opens partially and fully with the "holiday show." The answer was, yes, still the door hinge must be replaced. Second, they said that it is not possible to have only the key fob to open and close without the self-presenting feature (as many have mentioned above). I challenged that notion because non-PUP X's used to have their keys open and close the front doors before they stopped working with a software upgrade in the past. She promised to put this in the features request. The catch is security features get priority over convenience. Third, my SC are busy with other services and they are not offering those modifications, at this time. However, I have made it clear that we are not asking those changes for free and doing so doesn't take away a market from PUP upgrade anymore.

Since the answers I got from the national call center was based on advice from my local SC, I decided to give them a call myself and find out first hand. I confirmed that the hinge has to change for the doors. I told them I want both the door and HEPA filter with bio defense mode enabled by software upgrade. To my surprise, they gave me an appointment for early August o_O!

I was told that they will get the price for the parts and give me a quote. But there is still a catch. I should call back early next week after they talk to the parts department to get the parts needed and find out about the cost. My guess is, by then they will say they can't do it at this time. But we will see :)

They didn't email me as promised, but I called the national center again today.

I was told that they were working on it to find answers. However, the representative put me on hold to talk to my local service center. She came back saying that both self-presenting doors and the bio weapon mode require hardware changes. The bio weapon situation is obvious (as the cold weather package) but I insisted to make sure if the self-presenting door really need hardware change. I also mentioned it opens partially and fully with the "holiday show." The answer was, yes, still the door hinge must be replaced. Second, they said that it is not possible to have only the key fob to open and close without the self-presenting feature (as many have mentioned above). I challenged that notion because non-PUP X's used to have their keys open and close the front doors before they stopped working with a software upgrade in the past. She promised to put this in the features request. The catch is security features get priority over convenience. Third, my SC are busy with other services and they are not offering those modifications, at this time. However, I have made it clear that we are not asking those changes for free and doing so doesn't take away a market from PUP upgrade anymore.

Since the answers I got from the national call center was based on advice from my local SC, I decided to give them a call myself and find out first hand. I confirmed that the hinge has to change for the doors. I told them I want both the door and HEPA filter with bio defense mode enabled by software upgrade. To my surprise, they gave me an appointment for early August o_O!

I was told that they will get the price for the parts and give me a quote. But there is still a catch. I should call back early next week after they talk to the parts department to get the parts needed and find out about the cost. My guess is, by then they will say they can't do it at this time. But we will see :)
Thank you for taking the lead on those upgrades. Please let us know how this will go as you will greatly help when contacting our SC. I am sure they can take few programming hours from the next Christmas show to give customers few real value added upgrades.

Bad news. It’s a no go. They couldn’t even find the part number for the door. With the bio defense, the answer is that it’s discontinued and they are not offering it right now.

They all agree that it makes absolute sense economically, given that those options are not upgrades anymore, but they just are not doing it, right now. Probably we are not loud enough?

• Helpful
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I challenged that notion because non-PUP X's used to have their keys open and close the front doors before they stopped working with a software upgrade in the past. She promised to put this in the features request. The catch is security features get priority over convenience.

Seems like a simple problem, we just need to get creative and re-pitch it as a security feature request.

I'll start the brainstorm: Situation, I'm being chased by a mugger. My quickest and safest escape is to run to my car. But what do I do? I can't stop and push the button, wait for it to pop open then jump in. No, I NEED this security feature. I run past my car, then as I quickly dart aroudn the rear of the car; I double tap my door button on the fob. The front door pops open, I take a leaping stride towards it, feet first. As I land, my foot hits the brake and the door goes BAM and slams shut. Safe from the mugger!

Seems like a simple problem, we just need to get creative and re-pitch it as a security feature request.

I'll start the brainstorm: Situation, I'm being chased by a mugger. My quickest and safest escape is to run to my car. But what do I do? I can't stop and push the button, wait for it to pop open then jump in. No, I NEED this security feature. I run past my car, then as I quickly dart aroudn the rear of the car; I double tap my door button on the fob. The front door pops open, I take a leaping stride towards it, feet first. As I land, my foot hits the brake and the door goes BAM and slams shut. Safe from the mugger!

That’s a good line of argument. Does anyone remember which software version allowed non-PUPs to use the key fob to open front doors and which version stopped it? It might be helpful especially if someone who had that ability and lost it to give them a call. It will also give us a concrete data to request “our feature” back.

One way could be to start a poll to know how many would like what upgrade. This would give us and Tesla a good idea of the importance of offering upgrades. This is the one of the strengths of a forum like TMC. Then we can post this result on Elon’s twitter.

If anyone wants to put this up and conduct a poll, feel free to use!

Premium Upgrades Package Lowered Price Poll
SURVEY

1. Will you pay $2500 (new lowered cost) for the Tesla Model X & S 'Premium Upgrades Package' that includes self-presenting doors, weather package, better sound system & HEPA filtered cabin?

Yes

No

Maybe

2. Do you think Elon Musk/Tesla should consider extending the new PUP cost to people who have ordered, and are waiting for their Model X or S?

Yes

No

Maybe

If anyone wants to put this up and conduct a poll, feel free to use!

Premium Upgrades Package Lowered Price Poll
SURVEY

1. Will you pay $2500 (new lowered cost) for the Tesla Model X & S 'Premium Upgrades Package' that includes self-presenting doors, weather package, better sound system & HEPA filtered cabin?

Yes

No

Maybe

2. Do you think Elon Musk/Tesla should consider extending the new PUP cost to people who have ordered, and are waiting for their Model X or S?

Yes

No

Maybe

I think it needs to be split up. Some of us have upgraded sound, bio, or subzero individually already. Heck if you upgraded along the way, interior lifting and self presenting doors might be the only thing someone doesn’t have.

I think it needs to be split up. Some of us have upgraded sound, bio, or subzero individually already. Heck if you upgraded along the way, interior lifting and self presenting doors might be the only thing someone doesn’t have.

Sure, and I guess they used to allow adding individual features, but not anymore - it's been all or nothing even before PUP became standard, but not sure since when they started doing it.

Sure, and I guess they used to allow adding individual features, but not anymore - it's been all or nothing even before PUP became standard, but not sure since when they started doing it.

Yup. These cars used to have a lot more options instead of a set package. Everything was a la carte, which was neat. These are based off of memory, so they’re approximates at best.

Subzero was available until July 2017.
Bio was available until April 2017- but was actually out of stock the majority of the time.
Upgraded audio was available until Sept 2016 (might have only been on the S?)

July 2017, they made a bunch of stuff standard equipment, and the rest rolled into the premium package. Now they’ve built it in all together.

The reality is what you’re trying has been done. Tesla has come out and said they don’t have an interest in retrofits. It slows down their SCs, which is probably why Bio mode was short lived. There’s also often a parts backlog. They’ll entertain anything that’s software only, but highly reluctant when it comes to things that require parts.

They’d much rather sell you a new car altogether. It’s faster and more profitable for them. It takes 3 days to build you a new car from scratch, but 1 day at least to retrofit your car.

Here’s a tip though. Ask your SC nicely. If they say no, hopefully another slower SC will entertain it. Discontinued options such as the Matte Obeche Wood trim has been ordered and retrofitted by SCs. Bio mode has been installed and activated (after the option disappeared) It’s all possible but more of a stroke of luck than an official stance from corporate.

The PUP is definety a security and safety upgrade. The PUP option i wish most for us not the self opening but the self closing doors. Having a infant and holding tons of stuff, we have repeatedly had others remind us to close the doors or come back to open door car in the parking lot. With the PUP the doors would automatically close when it notices the keyfob is out of range. The worse fear is someone hiding in the car trunk space. Or having the car vandalized or theft. I really hope Elon can help atleast with this option.

The PUP is definety a security and safety upgrade. The PUP option i wish most for us not the self opening but the self closing doors. Having a infant and holding tons of stuff, we have repeatedly had others remind us to close the doors or come back to open door car in the parking lot. With the PUP the doors would automatically close when it notices the keyfob is out of range. The worse fear is someone hiding in the car trunk space. Or having the car vandalized or theft. I really hope Elon can help atleast with this option.

They should at least enable you to close ALL doors on the X using the app!!