Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Refurbished CPO - Terrible Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the new norm for CPO ..nothing a detail can’t take care of ..I would be more concerned on mechanical items if anything ...congrats and enjoy the car ! ...the forums are echo boards for things you can find wrong with Tesla..I have had 3 Tesla’s and nothing but good experiences ..both with the company (via service ,delivery) and the cars mechanically :eek:

I picked up my CPO S 70D from Kansas City on Saturday. The original photos included showed the interior dirty, leaves and debris all over the trunk and interior. When I picked up the car the interior was immaculate. I think its service center dependent. The CPO process was easy, clear and all expectations were covered up front. Unlike a lot of the experiences on this forum, I had a fantastic sales rep that covered everything thoroughly.

That would be ideal, but since I live near St Louis and the nearest Tesla CPO site is 300 miles north of where I live in Chicago, that's not practical. I was told I could place a deposit and have a car shipped to St Louis where I could view it, but if I reject it I'm still out the initial $1000. I wonder how many cars they would ship so I could inspect them?

So we have to "trust" Tesla and so far they have lost my trust.

The KC service center is great, you will deal with Jacob for delivery. Their team went out of their way to make sure everything was up to snuff.

OP's post delivery pics look almost identical to my loaner MS earlier this year. I got the exact same round little tab thing sitting in the center floor. Not sure what that is so I just left it alone. Except my loaner got a piece of gum stuck in that same area. I left that one alone too.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Not trying to hijack but how do people live with their cars in such condition? My vehicles NEVER get that bad even after thousand mile plus long road trips! Disgusting. I presume there was a unique unpleasant odor to go along with the visual assault?

My guess is that this car had the crap beaten out of it as a service loaner.

Just look at those photos... The car is all filthy and trashed.

TESLA S70D CPO

UPDATE: Tesla contacted me to make things right and will also be getting a set of all weather mats for the trouble. I still think that the car is the best one that I have ever owned/driven.

Would I pull the trigger again? Yes absolutely! there is no going back to ICE vehicles for me that's for sure.

Glad they did the right thing for you. We all agree that Tesla makes the best cars available to buy just that their CPO Program needs to live up to the rest of their reputation. They should not sell CPO cars where you have no idea if you are going to get a car in immaculate condition or a vehicle that was trashed and had the life beaten out of it.

I don't understand how Tesla is allowing this. Seems an e-mail from HQ and or EM himself instructing their CPO sites to "at least clean" the cars before shipping is in order.

I have prepped my self financially to be able to buy a CPO going into retirement, but after following many CPO horror stories I'm now no so certain I want to gamble with my purchase with a "pig in a poke" experience. Sad,

If you don't have a SC near where you can look at the car, try to buy it somewhere else. You can even get 3rd party warranty, if you want.

Or buy it from another owner, they will probably be nice enough to vacuum the car and throw out the used condoms and Kleenex.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I get that they are not really "refurbished" anymore... but is it too hard to freaking wash a car and have it vacuumed? Seriously.

Some of the photos I have seen, you can't even figure out the condition the car is in because the car is completely filthy.

I bet these are service loaners that have been completely trashed and abused and not typical used cars. If you are buying a CPO car, be very careful to check the car out thoroughly as some are pretty much in the condition you would expect if they had been rentals. The lucky people are those who end up getting a car before it is abused as a service loaner.

I've heard rumors that they are discontinuing the practice of service loaners by contracting that out to Enterprise. If this happens, that will increase the quality of CPO cars as fewer CPO cars will get abused as service loaners.

The loaner program might be the reason so many of the CPO cars are in such bad shape. I can't imagine a large percentage of people who own or lease a Tesla keeping their cars in such bad shape as some of the CPO cars we have seen.

The loaner program might be the reason so many of the CPO cars are in such bad shape. I can't imagine a large percentage of people who own or lease a Tesla keeping their cars in such bad shape as some of the CPO cars we have seen.

Most loaners sell off as inventory cars as they are dealer registered and still eligible for tax credit ..the bad CPOs are mostly lease returns ...as a lease not much in penalty for keeping in bad shape ...you just need to return with the keys and tires in decent shape ..so not real surprised at some of these non refurb ones how they look :(

Just took delivery of my 2015 black/black P85D today in Los Angeles today. Car had 44k miles on it and was in pristine condition. All wheels perfect (only 19's) with no scratches and brand new tires. Not a single dent or scratch on the car other than a few typical rock chips on the front bumper/hood. Leather and interior was also in perfect condition and not at all worn with no stains or blemishes anywhere. Additionally, it was clear the car had been freshly waxed as I could see a bit of residual wax on a few of the tesla symbols. Far exceeded expectations based on all I had heard and that I also got the cheapest priced p85d that was listed by almost $10k. Was worried for the price it would be trashed but it was perfect. Very happy with how it all turned out

Just took delivery of my 2015 black/black P85D today in Los Angeles today. Car had 44k miles on it and was in pristine condition. All wheels perfect (only 19's) with no scratches and brand new tires. Not a single dent or scratch on the car other than a few typical rock chips on the front bumper/hood. Leather and interior was also in perfect condition and not at all worn with no stains or blemishes anywhere. Additionally, it was clear the car had been freshly waxed as I could see a bit of residual wax on a few of the tesla symbols. Far exceeded expectations based on all I had heard and that I also got the cheapest priced p85d that was listed by almost $10k. Was worried for the price it would be trashed but it was perfect. Very happy with how it all turned out

I'm so glad that they treated you well and sold you an undamaged car.

Would you not agree that everyone else should be treated just as well as you have been treated?

The issue is that while you were lucky enough to get a car in great shape, many others on this forum have been presented with badly beat up cars with some in dismally filthy condition. Delivering cars in such poor condition is in line with their new policy so you could have been delivered a car in such poor condition.

How would you have reacted to if you were delivered a car in such poor shape that the front driver's seat is just about torn with seat filler coming out of the seat? Or the side-view mirror housing has a gash in it or multiple body panels needing repainting?Or the front hood deeply pitted and scratched up?

While I am so happy for you, getting a car in decent shape like you did, should not be up to luck and it should not be a crap shoot when Tesla CPO cars are priced higher than other Tesla vehicles for sale.

Everyone who buys a Tesla CPO deserves to be happy as you are and they all deserve to get a car in decent shape like you did. This is currently not the case and I hope we can agree that they should change their CPO policy to treat all their customers the way they treated you.