Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"non refurbished" CPOs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spotted the following disclaimer for at least one CPO car:

"Not Refurbished

This car has passed a 70-point mechanical inspection and will be cleaned before delivery. If you would like any additional work that is not covered under your warranty, we can help arrange service after delivery for an added cost. For more information, please request a call"

85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H11FF084414 | Tesla

Has anyone seen this before, ie are there 2 tiers of CPO cars now? Also, what's the understood meaning of "Refurbished" (a term I have not seen for CPOs in the first place...)

:confused:

I just spotted the following disclaimer for at least one CPO car:

"Not Refurbished

This car has passed a 70-point mechanical inspection and will be cleaned before delivery. If you would like any additional work that is not covered under your warranty, we can help arrange service after delivery for an added cost. For more information, please request a call"

85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H11FF084414 | Tesla

Has anyone seen this before, ie are there 2 tiers of CPO cars now? Also, what's the understood meaning of "Refurbished" (a term I have not seen for CPOs in the first place...)

:confused:

Wow. Just Wow.

If you thought CPO cars were delivered in a crappy condition then, you have not seen anything yet, I suppose :eek:

Looks like they managed to make their CPO Program the worst CPO Program in the entire automotive industry.

Even a CPO Kia is refurbished before being offered for sale.

sounds like they are cutting back costs with CPO cars and not upholding their mint condition standard.

this will be interesting as they dont let you see the car before you buy it haha

The reason they've had to incur extra refurbishing costs is because they use the CPO fleet as service loaners that then have the crap beaten out of them and now it seems they want CPO customers to pay for that damage o_O

Reactions: Electricious
By Comparison, these are all the "Appearance" items that Mercedes refurbishes to look like new for the CPO cars they sell.

32 Point Appearance Inspection
  • Engine wash
  • Trunk Mats
  • Paint
  • Spare Tire, Tools & Jack, Check Tirefit sealant expiration date
  • Moisture and Odor
  • Vacuum and Shampoo
  • Floor Mats
  • Carpet
  • Upholstery
  • headliner, Door Panels
  • Buttons Knobs and Vents, Instrument Panel
  • Glass and Mirrors
  • Wood and / or Chrome Trim
  • Vacuum and Shampoo
  • Screws
  • Ashtrays
  • De-grease Door Jambs, Hinges, Kickpanels and Visors
  • Moisture and Odor
  • Dings, Dents and Scratches
  • Examine Paint
  • Examine and Clean Chrome
  • Glass and Mirror Housing
  • Grill
  • Lamp Lenses
  • Badges
  • Trim and Moldings
  • Wipers
  • Bumpers
  • Door Edges, Frames
  • Wash and Wax
  • Scuffs and Scratches
  • Cuts and Gouges
  • Wash and Polish
And this is what you get with a Tesla CPO:
  • Until you decide to buy your CPO car, Tesla will rent it out to random people as a loaner -- some who will trash the car. When you do decide to buy the car, they will be happy to give you a bill for damage to the car as well as the cost of refurbishing it after all the abuse it has endured as a loaner so you have the pleasure of paying to fix all the damage and refurbish the car.

The reason they've had to incur extra refurbishing costs is because they use the CPO fleet as service loaners that then have the crap beaten out of them and now it seems they want CPO customers to pay for that damage o_O

i think they are moving away from using CPO cars as loaners because the last 3-5x i went in for warranty work, i never got an actual loaner from Tesla, they were always Enterprise owned Tesla's or gas car

From all of the CPO stories I've read I don't think it will be a whole lot difference than what they've been doing. I feel Tesla tries to get away with anything it can get it's customers to miss when they are looking at the car. How can you sell a car that may possibly have very major cosmetic issues and just leave it up to the customer to see when it finally comes and then hand a bill to fix it. This new policy is straight up dumb. I think a real car company needs to buy up Tesla and get it set up how we are all expecting it to be.

I just took delivery of a new bright red Model S. I have been so proud to own an EV and become a part of the Tesla community. But now I'm becoming slowly disillusioned. I see so many complaints and problems all over this site. Toothslayer's experience is completely inexcusable and his treatment is beyond understanding. I love my car but am hoping that the situations presented on this site are the exception not the new rule. This kind of lack of concern for their owners and cars could spell the demise of a once farsighted and innovative company.
My sympathies, Toothslayer,

Reactions: isjka and bro1999
Actually, every CPO listing seems to now include this disclaimer. This is a complete change to the CPO program.

You seem to be correct, I see it on all after clearing my cache.

So what they're basically saying is "don't worry, we will vacuum it for you and spray some of that stinky $2 gas station air freshener, thank you and good luck!" (somewhat sarcastic here, but barely...)