Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"non refurbished" CPOs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve bought many used cars in my time, but I wouldn’t even consider a purchase commitment without a careful, extensive in-person inspection and a test drive. I’m always amazed that purchasers will commit to a used car sight unseen - CPO or not. I’ve walked a Tesla service center storage lot of trades that eventually will be CPO’ed. Saw them as they were traded. Maybe one in 10 was in really nice condition and 3 or 4 in 10 were rough or very rough.

Much of the “reconditioning” done to these cars can look good on a quick inspection but will not hold up well over time. Spot spray and blend paint on panels, quick respray of bumpers, spray dye worn seats, etc. These cars will look tired again in a few months, regardless of how careful the next owner is.

I looked at about a dozen Model S over a couple months before finding mine. Some private party, some from independent dealer.
I try to find dealer trades before “reconditioning” to really see how they were previously treated. I’m looking for the car that was truly babied by the previous owner - they are out there but relatively rare.

My S85 was traded to a dealer the day before I saw it. Nothing had been done to it, not even washed. But it was very near flawless and needed absolutely nothing. It had 18 months of original warrenty remaining, 19K miles, and was $45K less than new. Bought it on the spot and have been totally pleased with it for two years.

I understand that some buyers don’t have the time and inclination to shop like I do. And maybe they are not as picky about condition. But if you take your time and are willing to put some effort into it, you can find really pristine used cars.

Last edited:
You would not have been able to tell the difference between the car I sold and a new one, it was that pristine.

Yep. They can be found. But sometimes it takes a while.

Here’s my MS 85 currently. Four and a half years old with 48,000 miles. All original. No paint or body work. No “reconditioning”. Still looking pretty presentable.

Attachments

• 5B6F5B78-F191-4446-8F47-FA8488A8FD67.jpeg
    5B6F5B78-F191-4446-8F47-FA8488A8FD67.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1B2DB285-83A0-402C-A7EB-297638782995.jpeg
    1B2DB285-83A0-402C-A7EB-297638782995.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Yep. They can be found. But sometimes it takes a while.

Here’s my MS 85 currently. Four and a half years old with 48,000 miles. All original. No paint or body work. No “reconditioning”. Still looking pretty presentable.

What a beautiful car! This is how we maintain our cars as well. We have a vehicle 8 years old and it is pretty much in pristine condition :) Whoever buys it from us will be very lucky.

The problem with the Tesla CPO cars is that they loan them out to random people so if a car ends up being used by a bunch of people who beat the crap out of their cars, the car can have serious wear and tear and damage. What I find concerning about the current policy of not offering refurbished cars is you could be lucky or you could get screwed with a car that has been abused.

F795806D-0FF7-468B-9B69-0D79A1A62581.jpeg
2928C82F-6A65-4554-87C3-259E631B4C2B.jpeg
603CD3BE-6345-40E0-8BF1-95C6EAC35389.jpeg
D9C55BBD-EF30-4CF6-8380-79E68D8F7C83.jpeg
41B1F4A1-4C6C-4A6A-BBD4-FBA66814DD81.jpeg
24744D13-E90A-459E-A13B-0196C19D56AE.jpeg
D9C55BBD-EF30-4CF6-8380-79E68D8F7C83.jpeg
603CD3BE-6345-40E0-8BF1-95C6EAC35389.jpeg
2928C82F-6A65-4554-87C3-259E631B4C2B.jpeg
Ordered a 2015 S70D with 38k miles, AP1, pano roof, subzero and 4-year warranty on 4/26 for 50.7k. It was an impulse buy. Thought it had already been bought by someone else but my order went through. Got some pictures today which looked good. Hopefully this is a good deal.

Reactions: ModelX
Pictures are nice but only give you a general idea of a cars condition. Take a look at this car.

Used 2014 Tesla Model S 85 for Sale in Brooksville FL 34613 Halo Autosports

Looks pretty nice, right? But I actually saw it and could quickly see a number of issues that the pics don’t reveal. It’s nowhere near as nice as my car, but the pictures don’t really tell you that.
Pictures are nice but only give you a general idea of a cars condition. Take a look at this car.

Used 2014 Tesla Model S 85 for Sale in Brooksville FL 34613 Halo Autosports

Looks pretty nice, right? But I actually saw it and could quickly see a number of issues that the pics don’t reveal. It’s nowhere near as nice as my car, but the pictures don’t really tell you that.
very true. I guess that I have the option to walk away if the car turns out to be filled with issues.

I’ve had several Tesla loaners - none were very well cared for. I would no more consider buying an ex-loaner Tesla than I would consider a used Hertz rental Camry. These cars have always had a tough life.

I understand that vehicles they have had in their loaner fleet for months and months while being offered for sale as CPO cars likely have quite a bit of additional wear and tear after being driven by dozens of people who probably cared little for the car.

Do they place trade-ins and lease returns they are receiving now that are in immaculate condition into the loaner fleet as well? Wish they would separate the vehicles they receive in good condition and offer them for sale as proper CPO cars rather than have those vehicles be abused as loaners as well.

View attachment 297970 View attachment 297971 View attachment 297972 View attachment 297973 View attachment 297974 View attachment 297975 View attachment 297973 View attachment 297972 View attachment 297970 View attachment 297970 View attachment 297971 Ordered a 2015 S70D with 38k miles, AP1, pano roof, subzero and 4-year warranty on 4/26 for 50.7k. It was an impulse buy. Thought it had already been bought by someone else but my order went through. Got some pictures today which looked good. Hopefully this is a good deal.

Damn, I wanted that one. :)

Not to take this thread slightly off topic, but...

It looks like MS60s CPO don't have an unlimited mileage battery/drivetrain warranty? Is that something I missed?

Using Safari, there is a new (to me) button which brings up the attached pop-up.

For 60s specifically, it looks like the battery/DU warranty is 10 yrs from the in-service date (I thought it was 8?) but no longer unlimited mileage-wise? The main listing page for a 60 makes no reference to that specific language and simply states the usual "remaining battery and drive warranty"

Inventory Search | Tesla

For 85s and above, the pop up "math" shows ~10yrs from the in-service date as well and still unlimited mileage. The main listing page has the same language as the 60s.

Model S 85 5YJSA1H19FF090459 | Tesla

:confused:

Attachments

• MS60-CPO.png
    MS60-CPO.png
    364 KB · Views: 74
Sorry for the late response. I took receipt 4/21 under the new CPO program.
As mentioned in a previous post, my SA said I could reject the car and my payment would be put toward another CPO.
I was able to inspect my Model S surrounded by 50 or so Model 3's before signing the paperwork. There were minor cosmetic issues that my SA 'could refer me to where I could get it worked on.' Some small paint dings on the front, no doubt from a small rock or two but not too deep. Interior was fine for a used car save an annoying stain on the headliner. This wasn't enough for me to reject the car. All accessories were present, nothing was broken or missing from the interior and the leather on the seats was in very good (but not great) condition.
My previous was a Mercedes CPO and I think the quality of the detailing was comperable.
I know some Tesla owners/potential owners would probably be far pickier than me. My SA was very knowledgable about the car but didn't seem to know much about the new program since he was expecting the car to have been refurbished at the factory (he said the computer would be reset, it might take some time to recalibrate AP1) but AP1 worked fine and they even forgot to wipe the former owner's phone from the bluetooth menu. Again, things I wouldn't be shocked by with another automaker's CPO.
If you're expecting a like-new Tesla you may not get it but you can if you pay more. I think Tesla had a lot of folks like me in mind when they made the change to the program. I wanted to get a Model S without a long wait (I took delivery 8 days after choosing the car). The most important thing to me was having the warranty. The detail work on the car I'm happy to take care of (and do a better job of) myself.
I love the car and I think I got a pretty great deal (KBB value is $5-7k more than I paid.)

Reactions: DrMike
Ordered a 2015 S70D with 38k miles, AP1, pano roof, subzero and 4-year warranty on 4/26 for 50.7k. It was an impulse buy. Thought it had already been bought by someone else but my order went through. Got some pictures today which looked good. Hopefully this is a good deal.

Your car is very similar to the one I just put a deposit down friday. Mine is a 2015 70D with 42k miles for $47,500. I HOPE mine turns out to be as good as yours.. after reading all the horror stories. =/

Sorry to hear that. But unfortunately not too surprised. Did they refund your deposit readily? This is an example why I posted the caution in post #82 above.

This car near you might possibly be an extra nice private owner one. More money for sure but newer, more equipment, lower miles, and still about 19 months of factory warrenty remaining. You’d like the Next Gen Seats in this one a lot better than the old original seats in the CPO car.

Used 2015 Tesla Model S Signature for sale in Dover, MA 02030: Sedan Details - 484351790 - Autotrader