Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-repairable flat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coincidentally, this week I also had a non repairable flat, on my two week old Model Y! Nail through the sidewall. First flat I’ve had ever in decades of driving, and first car I’ve ever had without a spare. It definitely got me thinking about that spare. Fortunately, Tesla Roadside Assistance was very quick to respond. Unfortunately, the cost to replace one tire was $400. I also can’t say I was terribly impressed with the Tesla Service Center.

So… tell me about that Modern Spare. And what jack do you carry?

Fortunately, Tesla Roadside Assistance was very quick to respond. Unfortunately, the cost to replace one tire was $400. I also can’t say I was terribly impressed with the Tesla Service Center.
So what should a "quick to respond" roadside tire replacement service cost? $400 sounds cheaper than a tow + new tire installed in my area at least....

So what should a "quick to respond" roadside tire replacement service cost? $400 sounds cheaper than a tow + new tire installed in my area at least....
The tow was great, and included in the Tesla Roadside Assistance coverage that comes with the car. It’s really the least they could do given that Tesla does not include a spare with the car, and I do mean LEAST. But the Tesla Service Center was another story. It’s not the $400, which in my book is way too much for a single tire. It was the total lack of communication. Tesla insists that you handle all communication with the Service Center through their app, but they never responded to a single text message I sent them. If you call the center, you get a voicemail that says you need to contact them through the app, even though they don’t reply. 24 hours after my tow I finally texted them “call me” through their app (after a number of unanswered texts) and then at long last I got a call from them. They hadn’t even looked at my car yet. Any tire center would have replaced the tire within an hour or two of the drop off, but not so with Tesla. And then at 6:10 they texted me that my car was fixed and I could pick it up between 8am and 6pm. There is more but I won’t bore you. Bottom line is that it was the lowest quality laziness service I’ve ever experienced from a mechanic. The “don’t call us we’ll call you” attitude was really off putting, and all this 2 weeks after dropping $60K on a brand new car.

In my ICE age, I once had a flat in the so-called 'middle no where', >8K ft high Yosemite National Park (Of course, no cell phone coverage).
Ever since, a spare tire is not an option but a must-have.
I just came back from my 1st road trip with MYLR, 1300 mi... of course, with a spare.
A peace of mind.