Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-responsive touch screen on wake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if it's time for a call to the service center again.

A few months ago, my S (2014, ~47,000 miles) started periodically not responding to touch on the center console immediately after getting in and turning the car on, but otherwise the screen displays normally. I've noticed this maybe once every week and a half or so. A center console reboot always fixes it.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of imminent hardware failure or just a recent bug.

My 2015 p85d with 16k instrument cluster went blank for the first time last week. Service center (Charlotte) said it could be caused by running the car in power saving mode. Anyways, came back by doing the cluster reboot. This is done by holding the two buttons above the scrolls for 30 seconds. Hope it doesn't happen again!
Anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if it's time for a call to the service center again.

A few months ago, my S (2014, ~47,000 miles) started periodically not responding to touch on the center console immediately after getting in and turning the car on, but otherwise the screen displays normally. I've noticed this maybe once every week and a half or so. A center console reboot always fixes it.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of imminent hardware failure or just a recent bug.

85d

My 2017 model S did this last night. We've only had the car a few weeks and I'm just getting used to it in general. I got into the car and the touch screen was completely blank. The car wouldn't allow me to start it. I followed the instructions on the console: first I had to wait for message to clear and then press the brake pedal but the messsage didn't clear...then I had instructions to reboot the car (you really have to hold those scroll buttons down for a long time!). It was quite embarrassing really as someone was supposed to be following me, not a great advert for Tesla!
Now I'm left feeling a little paranoid that this could happen while driving, does anyone know if this is possible? If the car wouldn't start, does that mean that the car might stop once started?

In addition about 2 weeks ago, after reversing I then pulled out forwards but the reversing camera remained on for some time.....This car is starting to behave like my iPhone- an unreliable phone is one thing but a car is quite another.

Can someone reassure me with some technical info?

Now I'm left feeling a little paranoid that this could happen while driving, does anyone know if this is possible? If the car wouldn't start, does that mean that the car might stop once started?

I do know that it’s safe to reboot both screens while you’re driving (and, in fact, I have done so). The car will keep driving normally, but some features, like autopilot and cruise control will not be availalbe while the screens restart. You will also lose climate control for a short time (maybe 20 seconds) while the center screen restarts.

Obviously the car is a car and is designed to be safe, so screens restarting or locking up will be inconvenient, but won’t suddenly cause the car to stop in the middle of a road. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post where someone had a car just stop driving in the middle of the road like that. I have seen some cases where certain failures will pop up a message that tells you there is a failure and you need to pull over as soon as possible, and in some cases people have been unable to restart their cars after having done so. But the car does still allow you to pull over in a safe area.

My 2017 model S did this last night. We've only had the car a few weeks and I'm just getting used to it in general. I got into the car and the touch screen was completely blank. The car wouldn't allow me to start it. I followed the instructions on the console: first I had to wait for message to clear and then press the brake pedal but the messsage didn't clear...then I had instructions to reboot the car (you really have to hold those scroll buttons down for a long time!). It was quite embarrassing really as someone was supposed to be following me, not a great advert for Tesla!

In addition about 2 weeks ago, after reversing I then pulled out forwards but the reversing camera remained on for some time.....This car is starting to behave like my iPhone- an unreliable phone is one thing but a car is quite another.

Can someone reassure me with some technical info?

Not so technical Info
===============
I would suggest that you call your service center as soon as you can so that they can log the event and asses your issues.

They may request that you bring the car in to examine the logs so make a note of the time/date and environment of when the touch screen would not complete its boot-up to facilitate the tech's search of the logs.

Even less technical Info
==================
A week ago on a maiden long distance trip >750mi, my touch screen froze while I was driving down Interstate 85 to the Auburn AL Supercharger.
I was running the Navigation App (to find the Supercharger Station) and the Media App playing Mpeg Files off a USB Stick, the speakers gave a burbling tone when I tried to skip a selection, shortly after the Touch Screen froze.
The car continued to run fine, so I pulled off at the next exit ( for Linette AL ) into a church's parking lot and put it into park, pulled the USB stick and did the 2 scroll button salute as we need the Nav working.
Car rebooted fine and we continued on to the Supercharger Station under Nav instructions. Car and Touch Screen ran fine for the remainder of the trip and for the return trip albeit without the USB Stick inserted, Radio Media used instead.
I logged the event on a scrap of paper and will mention it to the Service Center when I am next in.

For the record I am running Software 8.1 2017.38 f87c64d5

This event did not impress the wife nor the pets who were with us. Not a good advert as I now hear e-Golf instead of M3?

Last edited:
I logged the event on a scrap of paper and will mention it to the Service Center when I am next in.

I’m not sure when you’re going to be in the service center next, but I don’t believe that the car saves the logs indefinitely. I wouldn’t expect logs to be available for more than a few days or maybe a couple of weeks at best. I do believe that the folks at the 800 number have the ability to pull the logs remotely, so unless you are planning to visit the service center sometime soon you might be better off calling the call center to have them pull and retain the info from the log before it’s lost.

Thanks for the info BrettS ,
I was planning on visiting the Superchargers located at the Decatur GA SC for a quick Splash and Dash on my way to Savannah GA on a day trip, while I am Splashing I will check with the service advisor.

Both screens on my Dec 2016 S crashed twice this morning and then rebooted themselves. The Service Center remotely analyzed my logs and cleaned out what the tech described as almost full computer cache in layman’s terms. The tech said web browser usage or plugging certain peripherals into USB ports could be the cause. I almost died laughing and told him I haven’t wasted five minutes using that POS web browser. I added that we only use the USB ports to recharge smartphones.

This situation scares the heck out of me for the future as well as the present. What will happen when/if we have a real browser and additional upgrades and loads of various types are added to the then aging hardware? We don’t even have EAP now, so we certainly haven’t overtaxed any systems through our usage. I hope this isn’t going to be a repeat of the early days of the pc when the machines were overtaxed by inadequate processors and storage among other limitations. I plan to keep this car ten years+ but wonder how the hardware can possibly stand up to the constant upgrading and adding of features over that lengthy period of time, especially if it is already overtaxed.

I agree that the vaunted 17" Tablet is being used beyond its capacity these days. Tesla realizes this and could be why they announced that they were working with Intel on a new center touch screen MCU.

No mention of retrofitting the overworked and obsolete 17" Tablets that they have been shipping for the past 2 years and will into the future hopefully for not much longer.

To get a new center touch screen MCU we could be out of luck as we lit that candle when we bought our cars ( wow shipped over 100,000 overworked 17" Tablets !! ).
How do we make it fit in a 4 year warranty?
The folks on the bleeding edge of the 4yr warranty window could be SOL possibly along with the rest of us.