TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Non SC charging

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by nursebee, Dec 30, 2013.

1. nursebee

nursebee Member

I see Chevrolet and Nissan dealerships on plugshare/recargo. Can Tesla S recharge there? Do they charge a fee?

Public charging stations: Free or fee? How do they work?

What is your experience? What should I be aware of as I look to charge when not around SC locations and on the road? I know most will be slower...

Thanks

2. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I've rarely needed to charge anywhere but home. I have looked at public charging here in FL and found some free, and some Chargepoint ones that charge a small fee. I'm fairly certain the ones at the dealerships are free, if they allow you to charge (they should be J1772, so you can charge with that adapter). Plugshare or Recargo listings should tell you what type of charging it is so you'll know if you have the right adapter.

Typically the only time I'd need to charge away from home is on a trip, and then I'd rather find a 50 amp at an RV park since most public chargers here are 30 amp. That's assuming i don't want to leave it charging overnight someplace, and that a super charger isn't in the cards.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

The answer seems to be "it depends".

I've charged at a Nissan dealership once, and they were cool and allowed it for free. I had called ahead and asked.

I've seen some folks report here that they were denied.... so it may be a local management decision.

I'd also bet that as the number of Model Esses on the road continue to climb at a rapid pace, the sheer number of requests they eventually get may start to change their stance somewhat... at least on an individual basis if not on a corporate one.

4. Zextraterrestrial

I have seen/heard mixed experiences with dealerships. My friend was charging at a chevy dealer before the shop opened and when they were opening the service manager just walked over and unplugged him without a word. Jealousy? I dunno.pretty lame though. Many seem to think the chargers are just for them, which is ok I guess, just mention it on plugshare if you are letting it be advertized.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I know of someone who charged her Leaf at a Chevy dealership close to my office and they were happy to help out. Won't be necessary for much longer as there are now public chargers at the mall nearby and I have 2-CS-100's waiting to go in at my office.

6. GlennAlanBerry

You should get some of the free smart phone apps like Recargo, Plugshare, and RV Parky to find public chargers in your area (and when you are travelling). Depending on where you live, you may have Walgreens and/or Cracker Barrel with L2 J1772 chargers that are sometimes free and sometimes not free.

Most Tesla owners seem to do most of their charging at home. For most commutes and daily errand running, there is usually not much need to charge at a public charger. Anything you find outside of a Tesla SuperCharger is going to be much, much slower to charge. A typical L2 public charger is going to be painfully slow to charge a Tesla (but it is better than a 120V 20 amp plug).

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

So far dealers have been great. Both Chevy and Nissan have been great especially Nissan. II have been to a dozen dealers and they have been great. But I do humbly ask. Most Charge point and Blink charge a fee but it is modest.

8. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I'm not sure that his unplugging him was any more egregious than charging at a private location without permission, assuming that's what your friend did.

9. Zextraterrestrial

It was at a Chevy Dealership @ ~6am with a clearly marked 'EV charging" parking spot. The service man could have at least told him it wasn't ok to charge here or at least asked him to remove his plug. My friend offered to pay for the power he had used and the guy was a total D. It just sounded like a bad situation where the guy was not friendly. He saw my buddy was charging when he came to work and didn't say anything for ~15 minutes. Then when he officially opened the store he just walked up and unplugged him without a word and threw the cord on the ground.

I really hope it isn't like this anywhere else but I'd expect it at a couple of places.

Similar to RV parks that don't want to let open sites be used for charging, sucks but it happens.

10. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I have found most RV Parks to be somewhere between cooperative and welcoming. There are exceptions; I had one woman at an RV Park hang up on me when I called about charging an electric car... :frown:

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've made a few day trips where the round-trip distance was either "too close for comfort" or beyond the range of the car. In those cases, a charge stop was needed. In once case, I stopped at a CS-90 while I had lunch on the way, and on another occasion I found a charge station a short walk from my destination and plugged in there while I was at my meeting. It's rare I have to do that, but then I don't need a full charge either. Just some extra miles to make the round-trip work.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

You'll want to get RFID cards for ChargePoint and other networks in your area. Given where I travel, I also have RFID cards for Blink, SEMAConnect, and Le Circuit électrique. I keep these cards in the little "kangaroo pouch" on the front edge of the driver's seat. Around here, nearly all sites are free but require a ChargePoint RFID to activate them.

PlugShare is a must-have. Not only does it show public chargers, but private chargers. EV owners are a great bunch; also, there are few other places "in the wild" that have charging rates >30A.

13. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Charging is still pretty chaotic. Some dealers are good about it, some aren't. But, frankly, why charge at a dealer unless it's highspeed? And, since the chademo adapter isn't out yet, you will only have an L2 charger - J1772, probably 30A. Lots of those around, both free and paid. There is a certain element of the public that doesn't understand or even fears EVs.

Model S owners generally don't need to charge at low amp chargers since we have great range and can charge at home for something 95% of the time. A 30 A charger will put 17-20 miles on your car per hour so unless you drained your battery, there is really no need. And, I don't consider hanging around a dealership at the top of my list! Also, a lot of the Blink network chargers have been cut back to less than 20 Amps because of faulty connectors - just shy of useless.

The case where it makes sense is at a destination: hotel, resort, commuter parking - places where your car will be for many hours. Maybe a mall or theater but even then, there isn't enough gain to make it worth my while. I have to admit, I've used a couple of L2 chargers to get a favorable parking spot. (there were empty spots so I didn't keep someone who really needed it from charging)

Now, in some places high amp L2 are being deployed. In Canada, the Sun Country Highway has a coast to coast network of 70 and 80 amp chargers. A similar thing is happening in Washington State.