Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-serviceable Parrot Module Failure in MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I have a 2015 85D. My car has been offline for a couple months, WiFi and Bluetooth is stuck on "Initializing", can't use microphone (even though LTE works OK), maps are slow if they even work, etc. I also have some screen bubbles in the MCU. To me it sounded like eMMC issues, but the service center says that the "Parrot Module" on the MCU has failed and is non-serviceable. They want me to upgrade to MCU2 for $1500.

Part of me thinks this is the eMMC failure and they are just trying to upsell me? Has anyone experienced a Parrot module failure before?

Also, a general question about trading in the car to Tesla. If I was to trade this in, would I be on the hook for replacing the MCU regardless? Or is it on them?

Thanks!

Hello.

I have a 2015 85D. My car has been offline for a couple months, WiFi and Bluetooth is stuck on "Initializing", can't use microphone (even though LTE works OK), maps are slow if they even work, etc. I also have some screen bubbles in the MCU. To me it sounded like eMMC issues, but the service center says that the "Parrot Module" on the MCU has failed and is non-serviceable. They want me to upgrade to MCU2 for $1500.

Part of me thinks this is the eMMC failure and they are just trying to upsell me? Has anyone experienced a Parrot module failure before?

Also, a general question about trading in the car to Tesla. If I was to trade this in, would I be on the hook for replacing the MCU regardless? Or is it on them?

Thanks!
Parrot is the name of the company that makes the LTE board that's in the MCU. That means removing, opening the MCU, replacing the board and putting it back. Cost will likely be the same as upgrading an older car from 3G to LTE. Same effort and part expense. Now, having said that, yes, it sounds some what like the beginning of eMMC failures.

But even if you were not having eMMC/MCU1/LTE issues, I would try to upsell you to MCU2 and be done with it.

Parrot is the name of the company that makes the LTE board that's in the MCU. That means removing, opening the MCU, replacing the board and putting it back. Cost will likely be the same as upgrading an older car from 3G to LTE. Same effort and part expense. Now, having said that, yes, it sounds some what like the beginning of eMMC failures.

But even if you were not having eMMC/MCU1/LTE issues, I would try to upsell you to MCU2 and be done with it.

No, the Parrot is the WiFi module/board. Completely unrelated to cellular connectivity, which they said still worked fine. And as far as I know Tesla doesn't have that module as a replaceable part. So it requires a MCU replacement. Just like they didn't used to have the eMMC daughterboard as a replaceable part and had to replace the entire MCU. After enough of them failed they decided to carry the daughterboard as a separate module. Given the rareness of the Parrot module failing, and the fact that MCU1s are on their way out, I doubt Tesla will add it as a separate module that can be replaced.

Mike, yes you are correct, I quickly concede about WiFi, but isn't cell and WiFi on the same board, but LTE side has the SIM on it?

Not as far as I know.

Edit: It is separate from the LTE board and is in the lower corner of the main MCU board:
1616528380743.png

I can't tell if it uses a connector or if it is soldered on. (And really is not independently replaceable.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
I can't tell if it uses a connector or if it is soldered on. (And really is not independently replaceable.)
The Parrot module controls the Wifi and Bluetooth of the MCU. The module is soldered on and a bitch to remove/replace. Not really an option unless you can do advanced pcb rework.
Sometimes these Parrot issues can be resolved by re-flashing the Parrot module from root shell (script is called new-pflasher). For most people this will be no option since they closed ssh in recent firmwares. But Tesla can do this from remote as well, I don't know the exact procedure name, probably something like "reflash parrot module". So that might be your best shot besides replacing the entire MCU.

Hello.

Thanks!
Most likely eMMC failure. Seems like your wifi/bluetooth driver file is corrupted, hence the loss of both functions, both are the same driver file.