Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-SpaceX Launch Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Rocket Lab succeeded in snagging the booster in mid air! Impressive. Though the video from the helicopter didn’t appear to show the catch, but one could briefly see the booster below the copter.

Now let’s see if they can refurbish and reply the stage.

E8608266-E64A-4BF5-B1F7-D72C3069DA6B.jpeg

Last edited:
From that article:

About 15 minutes after launch, the descending booster came into view of Rocket Lab’s Sikorsky S-92 helicopter. Video from the helicopter appeared to show the hook grappling the parachute to cheers from mission control. Moments later, though, there were groans and the webcast cut away, suggesting that perhaps the helicopter lost the booster.

More than a half-hour later, Rocket Lab confirmed that the helicopter had grappled, but then released, the booster. “After the catch, the helicopter pilot noticed different load characteristics than what we’ve experienced in testing,” company spokesperson Murielle Baker said on the webcast. “At his discretion, the pilot offloaded the stage for a successful splashdown” for recovery by a boat, like on the three previous recovery attempts.
So it did not entirely go to plan.

Reactions: Grendal
What no video of catch and release? Thats the big difference between SpaceX and the rest.
My guess is that the Rocket Lab helicopter did not have a belly camera looking straight down as the only view we saw was slightly off to the side. It appeared to be mounted at the top of an open side door on the copter. I was also surprised that there was no good view of the booster for more than a second or two.

It is possible that the copter pilot did have a camera view of the stage that was better than what the company made public.

SpaceX certainly took a different approach, publicly live-streaming their early booster landing attempts, which made for great entertainment. :D

Not bad. They did catch it. It looked pretty windy and the chute didn't collapse immediately like it did in the test runs. I expect the winds and the non-collapse of the chute was creating some unforeseen forces which the pilot, rightfully so, decided was too dangerous to struggle against. Lessons were learned and there will be more attempts that will certainly be successful in the future. I applaud Rocketlab for being the second company to go for reuse. I'm sure they will get there and then we'll see how much and how quickly they can reuse an orbital class booster.

EA did a good "play by play" on the launch and the catch attempt.

Reactions: bxr140 and HVM
Well, surely Peter Beck could “explain” specifically why the copter pilot decided to release the booster after snagging it but he choses not to at this time.

If the issue was weather related (e.g. winds as @Grendal commented on) of course SpaceX has to also consider the weather at the ASDS location before deciding whether or not to go for launch.