Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-staggered for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI.
I have been considering replacing the tyres on my Model X 75D. There are a few options:
1. slap on the 21s from my Model S. I would like to get all 4s on 265/40 R21 tyres (i.e. non-staggered). Anyone did that?
2. replace the tyres on the current rims (which I think are staggered rims. Car came with 255 on the front, 275 on the rear, was thinking maybe making them all 255 or 265, and then maybe rotating the rims. Has anyone put the wider rims from the back to the front, in this config? Any issues?
3. Get a new set of rims (20s), 9 inch wide, and using 265 on all 4s. Has anyone did this?

For those wondering "but why", my reasons are as follows:
1. I would like to be able to fully rotate the tyres
2. If I can get 265/45R20 tyres at a cheaper price, I would like to go with that rather than have them staggered.
3. I do not believe having an extra 10 or 20mm width on the back of a 75D is going to make a huge difference. I have the P85D Model S, and the 245s on the back aren't a problem.

Any thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks guys.

Reactions: Cowby
Hi, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. My X75D (Dec 2016) is at 24k miles and the tires will soon need to be replaced. I have 265 up front and 275 in the back. The rear tires have been heavily worn down on the inside due to the combination of too much negative camber and driving on low suspension setting all this time. I've just become aware of this issue and will have the SC perform an alignment.

I don't know enough about wheels and tires, but because the rear rims are wider (10 inches) than the front (9 inches) I don't know if you can simply put 265s on the rear rims. The best would likely be to get two additional 9 inch wide rims for the back so they all are the same size.

I suspect the main reason for the staggered tire/rim sizes is to be able to accept the additional 500 lbs of tongue weight for towing.....
I agree that having 265s in the back should otherwise not affect driving.

I'll post updates as I find out more.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Ok here goes

1. Model S rims are not weight rated for the X.

2. The wider rear rims, used to be 10 inch now 9.5 will not fit in the front. Well they do "fit" but the actual rim will rub on suspension parts. You will notice when reversing and turning. I know this cause tire shop accidentally put my rear rim with 265 tire in the front.

3. Yes you can get a 20 inch rim 9 inch wide for all 4. It will work.
I personally would not do that cause 265 tire is very limited. Not a lot of manufacturers do a 265 45 20.

I don't think a 265 would be safe in the rear 9.5 or 10 inch rim. Depends what you have. I have Tsportline 10 inch rear rim and I find the 275 should be wider, thinking 285. So a 255 or 265 I definitely would not put. I would actually go 19's all around, More tire choices. Better tires available too.

My 2cents

All good comments below. I spent some time thinking about these same issues, wanting to go non-staggered. I wanted to add a #4:

4. The 265 tires I looked at (and ended up buying for the front), Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s, have a lower load rating than the 275 version of the same tire (the 275 is "XL", the 265 is not). I believe this matters mainly when you consider the towing and cargo capabilities of the car contributing to additional weight in the rear.

Ok here goes

1. Model S rims are not weight rated for the X.

2. The wider rear rims, used to be 10 inch now 9.5 will not fit in the front. Well they do "fit" but the actual rim will rub on suspension parts. You will notice when reversing and turning. I know this cause tire shop accidentally put my rear rim with 265 tire in the front.

3. Yes you can get a 20 inch rim 9 inch wide for all 4. It will work.
I personally would not do that cause 265 tire is very limited. Not a lot of manufacturers do a 265 45 20.

I don't think a 265 would be safe in the rear 9.5 or 10 inch rim. Depends what you have. I have Tsportline 10 inch rear rim and I find the 275 should be wider, thinking 285. So a 255 or 265 I definitely would not put. I would actually go 19's all around, More tire choices. Better tires available too.

My 2cents

Thank you for all your thoughts. Together with other comments I read, I am thinking that the only safe and officially Tesla supported option is to go for the 19" wheels that come as part of the Model X 19" winter tire package. That way we could run four 265/50R19 tires which would allow for appropriate front to back rotation and therefore could claim tread wear warranties which mandate regular tire rotation.

I wonder if Tesla would sell the four 19" rims without the tires......

Reactions: Kacey Green
Thank you for all your thoughts. Together with other comments I read, I am thinking that the only safe and officially Tesla supported option is to go for the 19" wheels that come as part of the Model X 19" winter tire package. That way we could run four 265/50R19 tires which would allow for appropriate front to back rotation and therefore could claim tread wear warranties which mandate regular tire rotation.

I wonder if Tesla would sell the four 19" rims without the tires......

Anyone found the answer to that?
I sent customer support an email asking if I could purchase the 19" rims only but got no answer

According to my calculations this is the best non staggered setup for model x

Replace the rear 9.5 inch wide silver slipstreams with 9 inch wide slipstreams identical to the front and put on on the rear.

Put 275 / 45R 20 on all 4 wheels.

The 275 / 45R 20 will not fit on the front if mounted on a 9.5 inch wheel but it will fit mounted on the stock 9 inch slipstreams. Also with the 275s on all wheels the load requirements are met and the tires are able to be rotated.

Anyone found the answer to that?
I sent customer support an email asking if I could purchase the 19" rims only but got no answer

Did you find a solution to a non staggered setup?

According to my calculations this is the best non staggered setup for model x

Replace the rear 9.5 inch wide silver slipstreams with 9 inch wide slipstreams identical to the front and put on on the rear.

Put 275 / 45R 20 on all 4 wheels.

The 275 / 45R 20 will not fit on the front if mounted on a 9.5 inch wheel but it will fit mounted on the stock 9 inch slipstreams. Also with the 275s on all wheels the load requirements are met and the tires are able to be rotated.

I run a Non Staggered stet up 265/45r20 on 9" slipstreams for my winter tires. This configuration works well. Having a Larger 275/45r20 in the back is really for more Towing than anything else.

If your looking for wheels consider these folks- Tesla Model X Wheels Rims Wheel Rim Stock OEM Replacement

You'd still need TPMS sensors- Tire rack-
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/resul...toYear=2017&autoModClar=265/45-20F+275/45-20R

Center caps can be swapped or pick up a set form the Tesla SC.

An alternate 265/275 tire for the car- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NJ4I?tag=tmc064-20
The Nexen tires have gotten good reviews for road noise, wear and cost.

I am new to this, but also shocked by the uneven wear. If I want to rotate my tires, I need to buy 2 front (9.0) wheels, then install 265/45r20s on all 4.
right ?

Uneven tire wear is caused mainly by poor wheel alignment. I never rotate my tires, even when all four wheels are the same. My tire wear is completely even. Even my SC advised against rotating my tires. After 22,000 miles on my old S, they said the tires were perfect, and did not need to be moved.

Alignment on new cars out of the factory, is not always correct.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I run a Non Staggered stet up 265/45r20 on 9" slipstreams for my winter tires. This configuration works well. Having a Larger 275/45r20 in the back is really for more Towing than anything else.

If your looking for wheels consider these folks- Tesla Model X Wheels Rims Wheel Rim Stock OEM Replacement

You'd still need TPMS sensors- Tire rack-
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/results.jsp?autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+X+75D&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=265/45-20F+275/45-20R

Center caps can be swapped or pick up a set form the Tesla SC.

An alternate 265/275 tire for the car- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NJ4I?tag=tmc064-20
The Nexen tires have gotten good reviews for road noise, wear and cost.

i changed over to all 265/45 all around (MX 90D) based on encouragement and info provided in this post and DCGOO...i bought the rims (9" OEM) and tpms from the sources recommended here...very happy with both transactions.

as added info, my reason to go 265 all around was to get run-flats as i haul a 2.5-yr old baby a lot and don't want to wait 1++ hours on the road waiting for the road service. i could not find run-flats in 275/45 anywhere so went with 265 for the back too. the time was ripe as the car needed new tires anyway ....the oem contis lasted only 18K miles (disappointing)

re run-flats-- i thing they get unfair negative press; so far i have about 2 month and 2K miles on the them, have not noticed any noise or handling issue. the range (in the non- controlled tests) seems to be about 3 - 5% less...not an issue/priority for me...as they say YMMV.