Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-staggered for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks but it's I'm hoping that somebody with the exact setup of the 20-in slipstream 9.5-in wheel with a 40 mm offset on the front can confirm that it's only the rubber touching a suspension part when making a hard right or left hand turn. And nothing else such as the tire rubbing against the body or the black body molding or something like that. Would like to know the full experience before I purchase a 275 versus a 265. Today's the last day of a 20% off sale. Thanks!

Ok, so I've tried moving the rear wheels (9.5"w x 20" with 40mm offset) from the rear to the front of the car and at first they appeared to fit and even the mechanic thought it'd work, but in actuality, they WON'T quite fit. The wheels mounted fine and actually spun enough that we thought it'd work, but upon further inspection, there's a very slight bit of metal to metal contact between the top of one suspension part and the inside "tub" of the wheel. See red arrow in the picture. The mechanic's flashlight unfortunately washed out the contrast of the spot where the metal scraped so it's hard to see the actual part that rubbed, but it's where the arrow is pointing at, and it was a very small amount. The rub was approx 1mm wide, and interestingly, not continuous (not the whole washed out part of the picture).

Now, having said that, I currently believe that with a small grinding mod to the part rubbing the wheel, the rear wheel MIGHT be made to fit on the front. The rub was ever so slight but the shop didn't want me to drive off with it like that. So they put the front wheels (9.0"w x 20") back on the front. I did not test for any tire rubbing when turning to the extreme left/right since it was still on the rack. My new tires are 265x45 20R Pirelli AS Plus 2s.

When it comes time to rotate my tires, I'm probably going to take off the front wheel and see just how much metal there is on that suspension part area and whether there's enough metal on there to safely grind down the point of contact. I'd never compromise the part's integrity or our safety so why would I consider this? Only because the amount of scrape was SO small and minor that it might require just a bit of smoothing down that suspension piece or maybe even just rounding it out to a wheel shape (I forgot the name of that part, anyone recall?). If it seems to require more than what I'm comfortable grinding, I'll punt. I can always buy 2 new front wheels for the rear, but that's obviously a more costly/involved process. Just so that nobody freaks out about this idea, I'll only consider it if the part was not to get compromised from a slight <1mm grind. This is so that this MX can have its tires rotated in the future. Hmmm, maybe I should do this after it's decided whether Tesla is going to replace our MX/MS front suspension part here in the US. :D

Maybe during daylight tomorrow, I should take some new pictures of the front 9.0"w wheels from the same angle, to see how much diff there is. And while at it, I could look for the scrape marks on the rear wheel before they crud over the scrapes, just so that I can document this for my records if/when I investigate or try this mod.

Thought others might like to know the result of today's wheel swapping experiment.

BTW: Having 265s all the way around with these Pirellis = no issue/alarm from the autopilot, drives well on the freeway (only put 15 miles on them so far though), and the noise seems a bit quieter than the stock Continentals, but that's very subjective.

20201120_101313.jpg

i hate to bump an old thread, but I want to square out my tire setup. it looks like I can run 265/45/20 on my OEM 9/9.5 wheels. all that is required up front is a small spacer to change the offset. sounds cheaper than buying two new fronts.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
i hate to bump an old thread, but I want to square out my tire setup. it looks like I can run 265/45/20 on my OEM 9/9.5 wheels. all that is required up front is a small spacer to change the offset. sounds cheaper than buying two new fronts.
Did the tire ppl have this around, or did you have to buy it separately. That does sound like a simplification, but I'd still be concerned that those fat back wheels might rub something if you were to put them up front. So square tires, anyway, if not a completely square setup.

Did the tire ppl have this around, or did you have to buy it separately. That does sound like a simplification, but I'd still be concerned that those fat back wheels might rub something if you were to put them up front. So square tires, anyway, if not a completely square setup.
if by "this" you mean wheel spacers, no, you will likely need to supply your own. I'm think thinking out loud right now, haven't tested anything

Okok, your post mentioned the 9/9.5 combo in it

Yeah there's definitely no issue up front with a spacer, I bet it'd only take about 5mm

I wonder if more-stretched 265 on a 20 uses less energy than a 265/50 on a 19 on the typical 8.5 19" setup - the 3/Y wheels/tire setups suggest to me they've found some efficiency in supporting the tire

Last edited:
Reactions: ngng
Okok, your post mentioned the 9/9.5 combo in it

Yeah there's definitely no issue up front with a spacer, I bet it'd only take about 5mm

I wonder if more-stretched 265 on a 20 uses less energy than a 265/50 on a 19 on the typical 8.5 19" setup - the 3/Y wheels/tire setups suggest to me they've found some efficiency in supporting the tire

yeah, it looks pretty close. i don't have any 5x120 spacers handy, but will check around the shop.

there's probably more efficiency to be gained from me not mashing on the throttle. sure, you can gain efficiency, but do you want to split hairs? it's like people putting Ti lug nuts on in the name of weight savings...on their 6k lb cars lol

Anyone have suggestions (ideally a link) to spacers that have been tried on the front of a MX? So that the rear stock wheels can be put on the front to prevent rubbing the suspension parts. When I was under the car at the tire shop, they showed me the parts that rub and it looked like it'd only take 2-3 millimeters spacer to prevent it. So as someone else here said, I'm guessing 5mm should work...not sure if they make 3mm ones. But a brand or link would be helpful as I'm likely to give it a try this spring.

Anyone have suggestions (ideally a link) to spacers that have been tried on the front of a MX? So that the rear stock wheels can be put on the front to prevent rubbing the suspension parts. When I was under the car at the tire shop, they showed me the parts that rub and it looked like it'd only take 2-3 millimeters spacer to prevent it. So as someone else here said, I'm guessing 5mm should work...not sure if they make 3mm ones. But a brand or link would be helpful as I'm likely to give it a try this spring.

I swore I replied to you. Oops. Check these guys out:

If you decided to move forward, let me know what you end up ordering. I have a set of adapters on order from them but would love to run the 9.5s all around. Worse case, I'll have a spacer for the rear made and run 9s.