Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-staggered for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uneven tire wear is caused mainly by poor wheel alignment
True, but X has the special issue of not staying aligned at all suspension heights. Lowering links and aftermarket bushings can help reduce inner wear at Low suspension. Not driving in Low brings out the hard acceleration Shudder phenomenon over time.
I have summer and winter square setups now for convenience and to alllow rotation. I will be trying the bushings soon.

I switched to a non staggered setup with no problems. I have a 2018 model x. I bought two used original slipstream front wheels 9.5 inch to replace the rear 10 inch slipstreams. I put 275/45 20 on all four 9.5 inch wheels. Now the tires can be rotated with a warranty to help with the uneven wear. I know the Tesla setup is for “performance” but I can’t tell the difference after making it a square setup. It doesn’t seem very smart to build a “green” car that can’t be aligned properly with tires that you can’t rotate.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I switched to a non staggered setup with no problems. I have a 2018 model x. I bought two used original slipstream front wheels 9.5 inch to replace the rear 10 inch slipstreams. I put 275/45 20 on all four 9.5 inch wheels. Now the tires can be rotated with a warranty to help with the uneven wear. I know the Tesla setup is for “performance” but I can’t tell the difference after making it a square setup. It doesn’t seem very smart to build a “green” car that can’t be aligned properly with tires that you can’t rotate.
I’m interested in doing what you did but I just want to confirm what you wrote. My understanding is that the slipstream wheels came in a 20x9.0" +35 for front and a 20x9.5" +35 width for rear. Tesla did have a short run of using a 20x10.0" +35 rear wheel but replaced it with the 20x9.5" +35 rear. Does that sound correct? So did you run non staggered on 20x9.0" +35?

I just ordered a 2019 MX and want to get winter wheels and tires. I'd prefer to do a square/non-staggered configuration. TireRack says 19" wheels are better for winter driving (not sure why).
The advantage might be the greater sidewall ratio. That will help with the pot holes as the freeze thaw cycle can create some quick road deterioration. I ended up doing a square winter setup using 265/45/20 all the way around on 20 x 9.0 rims. I had them test it prior to having the tires mounted to the wheels. I got them from discount tire. I would have gone with 19” rims but the selection was poor and there where more 20” choices.

This is what I did for the rims
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/drag-dr-77

Tires:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-latitude-x-ice-xi2/p/24287

The advantage might be the greater sidewall ratio. That will help with the pot holes as the freeze thaw cycle can create some quick road deterioration. I ended up doing a square winter setup using 265/45/20 all the way around on 20 x 9.0 rims. I had them test it prior to having the tires mounted to the wheels. I got them from discount tire. I would have gone with 19” rims but the selection was poor and there where more 20” choices.

This is what I did for the rims
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/drag-dr-77

Tires:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-latitude-x-ice-xi2/p/24287
Does discount tires provide tire/rim storage, or you store them yourself?

F54E9465-7AF6-4D47-9789-70808E248793.jpeg
F54E9465-7AF6-4D47-9789-70808E248793.jpeg
Does discount tires provide tire/rim storage, or you store them yourself?
I’m not sure I store them in my garage on a dolly which makes it easy to move around and out of the way.

@detdds do you happen to know if your 9.5" wheels on all 4 corners are with the 40mm offset or 35mm? I want to be able to go square with 275s and be able to move my rear 9.5" 40mm offset wheels to the front as needed without any fitment issues. I read one person say that my rear wheel will actually rub against the suspension but it sounds like yours don't, but maybe it depends on the offset. My wheels have the offset stamped on the inside of each wheel.

I also think the front slipstreams on a 2017 MX are 20x9 with an offset of 35mm. Not 9.5" and not 40mm. At least that's the way mine are.

It's confusing though, whether my rear wheels, which are 20x9.5 with an offset of 40mm, will actually fit on the front of the MX. Will the wheels themselves fit without hitting anything, since the rear's offset is different of 40mm vs 35mm.

Anyone know for sure as in tried it?

I’ll be trying it with mine because I’m a wheel whore and want to figure out exactly which TE37’s will fit lol I have a lot of different 5x120 wheels and spacers laying around to try out for fun. I’m sure it’s just an offset thing because there’s got to be space for chains up front on the narrower fronts and people have 10.5’s up front as above. Probably easily solvable with a reasonable spacer.

gotta plan for when one of the oem wheels gets damaged and it’s “cheaper” to upgrade heh

Last edited:
with 275/45/20 on the front most of the time it's fine, but if you turn hard over in one direction you can hear rubbing -- so that's not great.
Rubbing I can handle b/c I know it's only when I turn it in each direction all the way. Sounds like you're confirming that the 40mm offset with the 9.5" wheels do in fact fit on the front of the MX. Sorry don't mean to be too AR but want to make 100% sure b/c I have to order the tires and will incur charges if the rear wheels will hit a suspension part if moved to the front. And what exactly is the rubber rubbing against? Hopefully an internal suspension and not the body panel/etc.

Can you please confirm that yours is in fact 40mm and 9.5" wide? It's stamped on the inside of your wheel (may require a mirror or holding your phone inside of the wheel to see it).

I’ll be trying it with mine because I’m a wheel whore and want to figure out exactly which TE37’s will fit lol I have a lot of different 5x120 wheels and spacers laying around to try out for fun. I’m sure it’s just an offset thing because there’s got to be space for chains up front on the narrower fronts and people have 10.5’s up front as above. Probably easily solvable with a reasonable spacer.

gotta plan for when one of the oem wheels gets damaged and it’s “cheaper” to upgrade heh

"wheel whore!" LOL

Not sure what TE37 is but I'm familiar with the spacers concept. Do you have any links to what you're saying may be required to fit the 9.5" 40mm offset wheels onto the front? Good luck with your attempt. I'm trying to make a decision this week if possible otherwise I may have to put this off some. Thanks!

Rubbing I can handle b/c I know it's only when I turn it in each direction all the way. Sounds like you're confirming that the 40mm offset with the 9.5" wheels do in fact fit on the front of the MX. Sorry don't mean to be too AR but want to make 100% sure b/c I have to order the tires and will incur charges if the rear wheels will hit a suspension part if moved to the front. And what exactly is the rubber rubbing against? Hopefully an internal suspension and not the body panel/etc.

Can you please confirm that yours is in fact 40mm and 9.5" wide? It's stamped on the inside of your wheel (may require a mirror or holding your phone inside of the wheel to see it).
It's just the stock 20" rear wheels and 275 tires. When you put them on the front they rub, but only, as you note, when you're hard-over. But I don't know what they're rubbing on; I haven't investigated that thoroughly. I had the 275's on the front for most of one season, and it never felt unsafe and didn't cause any damage. But if I did it again, I'd probably go with 265's all around if on a square setup.

"wheel whore!" LOL

Not sure what TE37 is but I'm familiar with the spacers concept. Do you have any links to what you're saying may be required to fit the 9.5" 40mm offset wheels onto the front? Good luck with your attempt. I'm trying to make a decision this week if possible otherwise I may have to put this off some. Thanks!
Volk TE37 - only the most JDM-sweet wheel ever made. I see no reason an 18" wheel wouldn't work on Model X, the front and rear brake package isn't that big, 355mm rotors with multipiston calipers fit under a LOT of sweet aftermarket wheels and the X uses a nice relatively low offset that helps with caliper clearance. My 355x35 4-pot Stoptechs on my M3 fit easily under an 18" wheel, and can even fit under certain 17's. Unless they have stuck some part of the suspension inside the wheel barrel that I haven't noticed. I'm sure somebody on here knows definitively, but I always have to prove these things to myself. If there's room for snow chains there has to be room for a 275 on a 9.5 with the right offset, I mean, look above, there's a guy running 10.5's all around with the 285/35-22 OEM rear tire size.

Which all begs the question, which mud tire should I run on my 18" volks, lol

For these cars might need to use a spacer made for the Civic Type R, maybe, not sure what's out there that will work with the 64.1mm hub and a 5x120 bolt pattern. Or there might be a tesla S/X spacer available I'm not aware of yet because i'm just idly thinking about this stuff and have done zero research or actual shopping because if wheels arrived at the house before the car I would be murdered and sold for parts

edit: H&R makes a wheel spacer for S/X. There, soup

Last edited:
It's just the stock 20" rear wheels and 275 tires. When you put them on the front they rub, but only, as you note, when you're hard-over. But I don't know what they're rubbing on; I haven't investigated that thoroughly. I had the 275's on the front for most of one season, and it never felt unsafe and didn't cause any damage. But if I did it again, I'd probably go with 265's all around if on a square setup.

That's GREAT to hear that the stock rear 20" wheels fit on the front w/out any metal-to-metal rubbing! You're the very first to directly confirm that so I appreciate it. (I know others did but indirectly)

Are you saying you'd do 265s instead of 275s square because of the rubbing or something else? If so, why is that a significant issue for you? Maybe I'm underestimating something. About to order the tires later today once I decide on 265s vs 275s.

Last edited: