Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non tech package running lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
Would anyone who does not have the tech package be willing to share a picture of what the car looks like powered up without the daytime LED running lights? I have not been able to find a good picture of this anyplace. Does anyone know if there is any way to get LED running lights without buying the entire tech package?

They used to be standard, but it looks like they now only come with tech. I don't know how possible/easy this is to retrofit. If you did convince tesla to retrofit this, it would probably cost as much as the tech package ;)

Yea, thats my assumption as well (nothing special order is cheap from Tesla). I wonder just how bad the car looks without the DRL's, I am trying to justify the expense of the tech package, but am having a hard time doing so (its a lot of nice to have items, but not worth the price they charge for it, in my opinion)

Yea, thats my assumption as well (nothing special order is cheap from Tesla). I wonder just how bad the car looks without the DRL's, I am trying to justify the expense of the tech package, but am having a hard time doing so (its a lot of nice to have items, but not worth the price they charge for it, in my opinion)

yeah. This is crazy. IMO all cars need to have DRLs standard... It makes the car safer - easier to see.

I'm happy xenon is now standard. It should be

I've seen some on the roads here in the Bay Area. Although they were missing the signature cat-eye look that the DRLs provide, the cars were instantly recognizable (even when going in the opposite direction at highway speeds) and looked just as stunning.

Rifleman, I don't think the lack of DRLs should be a concern at all. This has been discussed a lot in the past, but, I'd be more concerned with the loss of the navigation system (beyond Google Maps) with no tech package. Firmware 6.0 is apparently coming with some cool stuff around navi - factoring in terrain, weather and traffic. Not sure if these would work in a car with no tech pkg. I know smartphone apps can do a great job here but, all that 17" real estate will not be used fully.

Rifleman, I don't think the lack of DRLs should be a concern at all. This has been discussed a lot in the past, but, I'd be more concerned with the loss of the navigation system (beyond Google Maps) with no tech package. Firmware 6.0 is apparently coming with some cool stuff around navi - factoring in terrain, weather and traffic. Not sure if these would work in a car with no tech pkg. I know smartphone apps can do a great job here but, all that 17" real estate will not be used fully.

Nav and DRL are the only features I really want in the tech package (well, I would pay the extra $500 for parking sensors if I get the tech, but its not worth getting the tech just to have the option to buy them)

I wish they would break the tech package up into a tech and convince package. Put stuff light lighted door handles and power lift gate in one category, and LED DRL and nav in another. Give us more flexibility with options.

I wish they would break up the package too. All I really wanted was navigation, but couldn't bring myself to spend all that money on it. Just installed xenon myself for $60 and 2 hours of my time. Still don't regret not getting it, but hoping for future 3rd party nav options on the 17" screen.

It's perfectly legal to run the headlights during the daytime (in the US, at least) and just as effective, if not more so, than DRLs. That's what my late, lamented Saab did back in the early 90s.

Up until the Model S, I always ran with the headlights on (since about 1971). However, the DRLs on the Tesla are way more effective than the HID lights during the day, so now I just run auto and let the car handle the headlights.

I agree with gg. Think tech package might be someone you'd regret. (Maybe not though) down the road once the software improved. It probably is overpriced though.