TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Non-Tech to Tech upgrades? (navi, HIDs, HD rear view camera, etc)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Cashoverass, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Cashoverass

Cashoverass Member

​I was going to start multiple different threads, 1 for each upgrade, and hopefully one day we get to a point where there is so much information about each of these mods that it'll require multiple threads, but in the mean time, let's try to condense here....

I didn't get the tech package because I didn't care to have all of those options. I think it's crazy they lump these all together (for almost $4k!) but I'm sure some of us are interested in adding some of these options (either the factory version or a similar aftermarket version). Obviously, with the right know-how, time (and possibly more $$ than it's worth) this is very possible so let's discuss.

Has anyone found a way to upgrade

[TR="bgcolor: transparent"][/TR]

• GPS navigation system with onboard maps
      and free map updates for seven years
    • Automatic keyless entry
    • High definition back-up camera

• Xenon headlights
    • LED cornering lights
    • Ground lighting under door handles
    • Electrochromatic side mirrors

• Power rear liftgate
    • GPS-enabled Homelink system
    • Memory seats

While we are at it, has anyone without the air-ride upgraded to a factory or an aftermarket air-suspension?

2. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

Ok. I'll bite. Here are a few:

1. There are already multiple threads on this forum and over at Teslamotors.com Model S forum about upgrading to Xenon HIDs. I've done this one myself with good results using a Kensun HID conversion kit from Amazon for under $70.

2. My poorman's GPS navigation system involves using my iphone's built-in maps navigation while blue-toothed to the car. Siri provides turn-by-turn directions. I can also follow my progress using the car's map as I drive.

3. I received memory seats as part of the leather seat option. Telsa has since moved this feature to the tech-package. No joy for the non-early adopters.

4. My "SD" backup camera seems more than adequate. I have yet to see anyone do a direct comparison to suggest otherwise. Even a Tesla tech told me that he couldn't tell the difference.

5. I already have ground lighting under door handles on my non-tech MS 60. Not sure what else to say about that.

6. No Homelink, but I have a mini Genie garage door opener ($34 at Home Depot) clipped inside the cubby under the center console, well out of sight. When I pull into my driveway, I reach down (without looking) and press the button. Easy-peasy. Not sure how Homelink is that much better than this.

3. Cashoverass

Cashoverass Member

I have a question about the poormans GPS. I've used this method too and while I agree it works fine, but I got a loaner car last week with the gps and it was really great to have the maps in the dashboard.

There is no way to be listening to FM/Slacker radio or thumb drive while using this method, right? It only works when you have the media source set to bluetooth?

4. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

#4 Chas F, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Would the experience be that much better in your daily driver? For me, I don't have that many opportunities to use maps as I'm rarely somewhere I don't know my way around. For the few exceptions, I have a windshield mount for my iphone that also works well. I think it is a great alternative for the $4K package, but I'm just guessing. What do you think?

That's correct. It still works OK if you don't have too many turns to make on your trip. For instance, today I used it for a destination that was 45 min away. Looking at the map overview I could see I could get there on my own until the last 3 or 5 miles, so I started the route with Siri and immediately switched over to Slacker. I only switched back to my phone as my media source for the last 5 min of the trip and Siri took me right there.