Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla’s using Tesla’s Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Is this legit?
That depends on what you mean by that.

1. Is it a real thing? Yes, of course. It is a product that exists. There are several brands that make and sell those.

2. Is it an allowable use of the Tesla-branded "Destination Charging" devices? That all depends on the business that is hosting it, since they decide the permission or conditions of its use. Most are at hotels, and if you're a guest, those are for charging guests' cars, and the hotel probably doesn't care in the least what brand of car you have.

And there have been some lively debates on that for years on this forum about how acceptable that is, since some people say that Tesla footed the cost for giving the connectors, while others point out that they were just given, and the host gets to decide how to use them.

I have 2 of them.

I think Tesla EVSE are the best, and recommend to everyone who asks what type of wall charger to get to go with HPWC and this adapter.

Since infrastructure for non-tesla's sucks, its smart for folks with off-brand cars to carry this as backup if their fast charging network is down as it expands the level 2 network they can fall back on.

I guess I miss understood the concept of the Tesla Destination Charger program. I specifically seek out businesses with Tesla Destination Chargers and give them my business expecting to be able to use them as a Tesla owner. Imagine my surprise if I pull into my hotel on a road trip needing to charge and the spot is taken by a non Tesla. I would mind it if another Tesla got there before me, I get first come first served. But to be denied access by a non Tesla is problematic for Tesla owners.

Thanks for explaining how the Destination Charger program works.

I guess I miss understood the concept of the Tesla Destination Charger program. I specifically seek out businesses with Tesla Destination Chargers and give them my business expecting to be able to use them as a Tesla owner. Imagine my surprise if I pull into my hotel on a road trip needing to charge and the spot is taken by a non Tesla. I would mind it if another Tesla got there before me, I get first come first served. But to be denied access by a non Tesla is problematic for Tesla owners.

Might want to tone down that entitlement attitude. You are not special or entitled, and if you ooze that to people they will think all Tesla owners are aholes.

If it makes you feel better, you still have "exclusive" access to the world's best L3 charging network...

TBH, the Destination Charging network has become less and less relevant as more SuperChargers are built. A few years ago, the SC network only covered major highways. Really limiting how many "middle of nowhere" places people could visit (unless those places also had destination charging or an RV camp). While there are still a few of those places remaining, it's become far less of a concern.

Reactions: Tedkidd and Ron_M3
I have the Lectron adapter and use it at home to charge a Chevy Bolt from the UMC. It works as advertised.
Given that Tesla includes a J1772 adapter with their cars enabling us to use any L2 charger, I don't see how
anyone can object to non-Teslas having the same capability.

If it makes you feel better, you still have "exclusive" access to the world's best L3 charging network...

TBH, the Destination Charging network has become less and less relevant as more SuperChargers are built. A few years ago, the SC network only covered major highways. Really limiting how many "middle of nowhere" places people could visit (unless those places also had destination charging or an RV camp). While there are still a few of those places remaining, it's become far less of a concern.

This is all true, but I definitely prefer to charge overnight at a hotel and eliminate two Supercharger stops the next morning.