Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non tesla chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched the forums before posting this question and couldn't find a recent answer so:
Can I charge my model 3 in a non tesla charger? It seems they are about 30 minutes from where I want to go but not having any experience with a Tesla (mine has not arrived yet) I am a bit nervous getting "stuck" somewhere. I know, I know, it will advise me to charge here etc... so I don't get stuck but I'd like to know as I am reading about these "adapters (for $450.00!!!). Thanks from a total newbie.
Bill

Your car should come with a J1772 adapter which looks like this.

Use the Plugshare app to see local charging stations. Anything listed as J1772 will work with this adapter
s-l225.jpg

Reactions: house9
I searched the forums before posting this question and couldn't find a recent answer so:
Can I charge my model 3 in a non tesla charger?
You can charge from the following types of public chargers:

- Tesla superchargers (fast) and destination chargers (relatively slow)

- Level 2 AC chargers using the J1772 adapter that comes with the car. These are typically from companies such as Chargepoint, and you'll often need an account to charge. They are rather slow (usually adding around 20 miles of range per hour).

- DC fast chargers with Chademo plug. Slower than superchargers, and you need the $450 adapter.
It seems they are about 30 minutes from where I want to go but not having any experience with a Tesla (mine has not arrived yet) I am a bit nervous getting "stuck" somewhere.
You'll lose that "nervousness" soon. Unless you drive to rather remote areas, it's just not an issue, especially not in most of CA with its high density of superchargers.

If you have the NEMA 14-50 optional adapter you can also charge at those locations. We use a NEMA 14-50 in our garage to charge, faster rate than a J-1772. Check on Plugshare by filtering different kinds of connectors what’s available in your area or where you will be traveling. You will find these outlets at RV parks and some other scattered locations. I was surprised to find on Plugshare recently it used in a public shopping center parking garage as an option. Believe the adapter is reasonably priced if you think your travels will take you in that direction or if you opt for the 240v NEMA 14-50 in your garage instead of an EVSE.

If you end up with solar and a PW backup to get you through PG&E’s wildfire safety shutdowns, charging with an electrical outlet will come in handy. Been reading most people do not put their Wall Charger on backup and will use an outlet instead.

BTW Plugshare offers a wealth of charging info besides location and types of charging connectors. When you tap the icon it will tell you things like number of each connector, directions within the location the chargers are (like near what store or level of the parking garage, sometimes chargers are behind stores so not obvious). Sometimes charging locations in garages require a parking fee and that will be noted. EV owners have also uploaded photos of the location and commented on any issues they had charging and when. I have found important info within comments like a garage’s hours (so if you park late at night you don’t get locked out after dining late etc). A good App to have on your phone.

If you have the NEMA 14-50 optional adapter you can also charge at those locations. We use a NEMA 14-50 in our garage to charge, faster rate than a J-1772. Check on Plugshare by filtering different kinds of connectors what’s available in your area or where you will be traveling. You will find these outlets at RV parks and some other scattered locations. I was surprised to find on Plugshare recently it used in a public shopping center parking garage as an option. Believe the adapter is reasonably priced if you think your travels will take you in that direction or if you opt for the 240v NEMA 14-50 in your garage instead of an EVSE.
Just to clarify, NEMA 14-50 is a type of 220v receptacle, and in order to use one, you need your own charging connector like the one that comes with the car. Although NEMA 14-50 is capable of up to 50 amps, the current generation mobile charge connector which comes with cars only supports 32 amps.

J1772 on the other hand is a standard EV plug type. You don't need your own charging cable when using one; you just need the little handheld adapter which comes with the car. Although most public chargers using J1772 are 30 amps, the standard supports up to 80 amps, and some of the newer chargers out there support 40 or 50 amps.

In practice, I use my mobile connector at home on a 14-50 outlet and almost never take it with me since there are plenty of free Tesla or J1772 destination chargers in my area. Even if there was a free-for-use 220v outlet in my area, I'd have to be pretty motivated to lug along the mobile connector.

I charge at home with a NEMA 14-50 plug. Works great. Get 29 mile per hour charge at 32 amps.

Yesterday, I visited my son and used PlugShare to find a local J-1772 which was at the local Senior Center. My adapter worked great and I plugged in. After a short time, the charge rate was 36 miles per hour. Amperage must have been pretty high. Charged to 80% in a few hours. And, NO CHARGE. It was a municipal facility. What a treat!

I am looking to get a CHAdeMO adapter as we plan to visit the Maritimes this summer. Although ridiculously expensive, the extra flexibility will pay for itself during the life of the car. Just so you know, I actually have zero range anxiety in my M-3.

OP, don't know which version of Model 3 you have on order. If you are at all interested in looking into a NEMA 14-50 for your home charging, here's Tesla's Charging Installation for the 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet along with the charging speeds you will get with the Gen 2 Mobile Kit and adapter (for Model 3, MS, MX). https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/installation-guides/nema-14-50-installation-guide.pdf

We have a NEMA 14-50 20-ft Corded Mobile Connector kind of permanently plugged into our NEMA 14-50 receptacle in our garage. I keep my mobile kit that came with my car with me in the car at all times sitting in the lower trunk area. We have a Model S and an AWD Model 3. The Model S, Model X and the AWD Model 3s (incl performance) have an onboard Charger that can take a maximum of 11.5kW (48A) so my Model 3 using the corded connector can take full advantage of the faster charging (believe that is a maximum of 40A). The Model 3 Standard Plus is limited to 7.6 kW max (32A) and the Gen 2 Mobile Charging Kit limits charging to that 7.6 kW for any vehicle charging with it. The max. charging for the Model Y isn't listed on Tesla's site yet but being AWD I suspect it will take the higher charge rate of the Corded Mobile Connector.

BTW the NEMA 14-50 can be used for plugging in a number of power tools so can have uses beyond RVs. Came in handy for the workmen when we were having some remodeling work done.

The Corded Mobile Connector is currently out of stock but it comes in and out of stock all the time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
a chademo plug costs $450? lol guess I'm never charging there

although some stations (maybe EVGo??) are updating their CHAdeMO connectors to work with Teslas connectors—no special equipment driver needs. Articles recently came out on this. Just started, guessing to capitalize on all the Teslas that could take advantage of a faster charge (maybe 50A max so not SuperCharger or higher rated CCS).

For Teslas traveling to certain areas where Tesla hasn’t had the coverage, the $450 adapter was still a big convenience, especially for those travelling on business and needed a faster charge when SCs weren’t available.

Tesla vehicles can soon be charged at EVgo charging stations in the US

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're particularly interested in fast charging while traveling. There are two non-Tesla charger types in the US, CHAdeMO and CCS1.

There is no adapter for CCS.
Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is $450. That gets you 50Kw, which CHAdeMO adapter owners have been reporting gets you about 120 miles in 30 minutes.
EVGO is starting to install Tesla cables on some of their fast chargers, claiming that you'll get about 90 miles per 30 minutes.

All rates assume you're charging between 20-80%. If you go beyond 80% the rate slows.

J1772 charging is "everywhere" if you can't find a Supercharger, but it's level 2, about 30MPH.

This is a pretty good summation of the most common types of charging you may encounter:
Tesla Model 3 (2019) Charging Guide | Pod Point

• Informative
Reactions: JasonR67