Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled in to my favorite watering hole, Sierra Nevada Brewery for a quick beer and electrons to find Toyota Rav parked in one of the destimation charger spots ( they have two Tesla, 2 j1772 and a 50 kw ccs). Two leafs had the j1772s which left me the last remaining Tesla charger.
As I pulled in, the owner was just plugging in and I told my wife, "This guy must be confused". I was surprized to find he was in fact using a Tesla charger with some typw of adapter. The owner was acting a little sheepish until he saw that I seemed ok with it. He proceeded to get out of his car and we had a good chat. I learned a lot about the toyota. I dont really see the harm with using the Tesla chargers, I've used the j1772 plenty of times and it seems like it's only fair that it's a two way street. I'm wondering what other folks think about it? Seems whatever accelerates the use of Evs is a good thing, Tesla seems to have a good program for suppliyng chargers to willing commercial establishments that pay the electric bill so I'm ok with it.

IMO it’s a two way street. Quick EV charging adoption helps everyone. We use J1772 stations, they should get to use Tesla destination chargers when they can.

Would I have been annoyed if I needed a charge and a non-tesla was occupying the charger? Yes.

But only marginally more than if the charger was blocked by another Tesla. Do I wish Tesla vehicles were given priority? Yes.

Should Teslas be given priority? I’m not so sure. I think sharing is the best policy.

Reactions: Blup85
Bottom line is the new generation of HPWCs that are provided for free in the destination charging program will only work with Teslas.

Good to know, but these chargers are less than a couple months old.. not sure when the cutoff date is, or if the property owner has the option to allow such a use during installation. I'm guessing they are the same hpwc gen 2 that I have at home.
If it is possible to allow open usage by owner discretion, I could see that happening at this location.

IMO it’s a two way street. Quick EV charging adoption helps everyone. We use J1772 stations, they should get to use Tesla destination chargers when they can.

Would I have been annoyed if I needed a charge and a non-tesla was occupying the charger? Yes.

But only marginally more than if the charger was blocked by another Tesla. Do I wish Tesla vehicles were given priority? Yes.

Should Teslas be given priority? I’m not so sure. I think sharing is the best policy.

Except that the Tesla chargers are subsidized by Tesla owners, and J1772 chargers are purchased at cost from third parties. A two way street would be a collaboration between vehicle suppliers where all contributed to the network.

It's theft, pure and simple. Tesla pays for the equipment to allow their vehicles to charge at more locations. The business owners pay for the electricity. I have seen several YouTube videos of guys using these adaptors to charge their vehicles and they have started selling them. I would be more than annoyed if I couldn't charge my Telsa because someone was doing this.

Reactions: X Fan and scaesare
I guess I have a different feeling about it, I have a supercharger within 20 miles of me, but only used it once (just because I wanted to) so the need for charging locations for me are nill, 99.5% of my charging is done at home, so scarecity model I don't have.
Tesla is reaping advertisement for those donated chargers as well, I would guess destination chargers are cheap advertisement dollars spent.
As long as the person is courteous, I really don't see the harm. If I'm paying a little more to put chargers out there that expand EV adoption ( even another brand), that seems like a worthy cause. We can fight about who gets to charge where and on whos chargers once mass adoption happens.

I guess I have a different feeling about it, I have a supercharger within 20 miles of me, but only used it once (just because I wanted to) so the need for charging locations for me are nill, 99.5% of my charging is done at home, so scarecity model I don't have.
Tesla is reaping advertisement for those donated chargers as well, I would guess destination chargers are cheap advertisement dollars spent.
As long as the person is courteous, I really don't see the harm. If I'm paying a little more to put chargers out there that expand EV adoption ( even another brand), that seems like a worthy cause. We can fight about who gets to charge where and on whos chargers once mass adoption happens.
It will be too late by then.

Besides which, the issue is really whom should be able to stipulate to which persons a service is offered. I say it's the providers of said service.

THIS FORUM IS NOT ABOUT THE J1772 -> TESLA ADAPTER. Yesterday like usual on my app and see a photo of a Zero S motorcycle and another photo of a Spark EV. Surprisingly, both were charging on a Tesla HPWC. If I can find the photos I will post them. Is this the new thing? Does this apply to only HPWCs or might Superchargers be involved? Any info on this will be muchly appreciated!

I think Tesla has been known to supply or support J1772 EVSEs at destination charger locations at property owner request. I don't think Tesla cares if other vehicles use Tesla Destination Chargers, although they might be upset to hear that a Tesla was unable to charge because it was tied up by a different manufacturer's EV.

I suspect ICEing of DC's is probably a much bigger problem, and there isn't much of a push by Tesla to fix that.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP