Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reading here and in other EV related forums I am starting to get the impression that chargers other than the Tesla SC's are pretty unreliable. The console drawer in my car has the cards from EvGO, ChargePoint and Circuitelectrique and I've got the app for Greenlots but I've never used any public charger other than the SC's. I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experiences with these other charging systems not only as a Tesla owner but because I believe the future of EVs will depend on the availability of reliable public charging. Would Tesla be where it is today had it not built the SC network? Will Electrify America be the salvation of the rest of the industry?

We are in.BC. Other than the odd glitch at a start up of a new Chademo we have never arrived at a Chademo and not been able to charge. The Chademo/CCS build out by the Goverment is at least 10 times bigger than Tesla Supercharger network here.

We are in.BC. Other than the odd glitch at a start up of a new Chademo we have never arrived at a Chademo and not been able to charge. The Chademo/CCS build out by the Goverment is at least 10 times bigger than Tesla Supercharger network here.
It's also maintained by your tax dollars. This may be relevant to the reliability of it considering that the various pay to charge stations in the US are likely privately owned. My experience with free charging stations installed by local governments (to encourage adoption) or utilities (for marketing) has been good, but I haven't had any experience with privately owned pay charging stations.

I have charged a Chargepoint stations at stores and never had an issue. Also I charge at the free ones at the local mall on occasion with no problems. The only real issue is the low voltage (208) of these chargers means not a lot of KW per unit time.

Regarding Electrify America, they may help, but just like Superchargers it depends on the build out. We have a 4 350K chargers and 8 other fast chargers a few miles away at the EA. You hardly ever see cars using them. At the same time the 20 Supercharger right next to the EA chargers are full.

Not quite sure why? Maybe the EA rate is high, or non-Tesla EV buyers are used to charging at home.

At the same time the 20 Supercharger right next to the EA chargers are full. Not quite sure why? Maybe the EA rate is high, or non-Tesla EV buyers are used to charging at home.

There are a few simple reasons why:
1. Yes, the cost is high. They are pretty expensive compared to Superchargers, so Tesla drivers probably wouldn't use them.
2. Even if Tesla drivers might be interested, to get away from the crowded Supercharger, the EA locations are being built with only 1 CHAdeMO and about 8-12 CCS stations. Teslas can't use the CCS stalls, so they couldn't use that anyway. And their one CHAdeMO per location is only 50kW, so it's a little worse than a Supercharger in speed too.
3. Really fast charging, like 100+ kW, can only be useful on a large capacity battery. There are barely a tiny handful of large battery cars with CCS ports just starting to show up in the market, like Chevy Bolt, Jaguar iPace, and one or two others. So there are only a tiny number of cars that could be there to use them.

There are a few simple reasons why:
1. Yes, the cost is high. They are pretty expensive compared to Superchargers, so Tesla drivers probably wouldn't use them.
2. Even if Tesla drivers might be interested, to get away from the crowded Supercharger, the EA locations are being built with only 1 CHAdeMO and about 8-12 CCS stations. Teslas can't use the CCS stalls, so they couldn't use that anyway. And their one CHAdeMO per location is only 50kW, so it's a little worse than a Supercharger in speed too.
3. Really fast charging, like 100+ kW, can only be useful on a large capacity battery. There are barely a tiny handful of large battery cars with CCS ports just starting to show up in the market, like Chevy Bolt, Jaguar iPace, and one or two others. So there are only a tiny number of cars that could be there to use them.

Thanks.

I suppose the usage of the 350KW ports will change this year when the Porsche Taycans start showing up. A couple of people I know have ordered them. I suspect we will see a few here in Northern California, and many more in SoCal where Porsches are much more popular.