Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla Dealer Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on the work you need. Tire related things you can generally go anywhere. Same with brakes. Alignments need specs on their machines, so not everyone can do it.

Anyone mechanically inclined can change your air filters... you can do them yourself easy enough.

Whether or not those other places want to touch your Tesla is another story. Many won't.

You can find both competent and incompetent people at any business.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Tesla repair shops I been too seem to fix or do things sort of half assed. Not sure if I'm alone on this.

While not for everyone, changing the cabin air filters on my 2020 Model 3 was fairly easy overall, with some odd positioning needed, IIRC. I was a sport and bought the filters from Tesla instead of using after-market ones. Check the videos for help. If you want a shop to do it, I'd recommend Tesla, unless you know a local place that has done it before-they willbe looking at the same videos you'd look at to learn it!

I know Air filters and brake pin lube (in cold climates) mobile can do it. If you do filters, suggest using 2 cans of Klima cleaner (amazon has it. Kool-it smells nice but Klima seems to do better job. I do full process by can instructions and using full can each cleaning. No odors yet. I do it twice a year. Brakes once a year.

Reactions: Adam3
I know Air filters and brake pin lube (in cold climates) mobile can do it. If you do filters, suggest using 2 cans of Klima cleaner (amazon has it. Kool-it smells nice but Klima seems to do better job. I do full process by can instructions and using full can each cleaning. No odors yet. I do it twice a year. Brakes once a year.
Thanks for the tip, nextzett makes great products and I need to clean my coils so I will try nextzett Klima instead of Kool-It.

If you were here on the east coast, I’d have the perfect solution. Our owners’ club (Delaware Valley — NJ/DE/PA) has been doing DIY workshops on things like air filter replacements, wiper blades, brake burnishing and now adding in 12V battery swaps.

Doing our very best to live the “if you teach a man to fish, he’ll eat for a lifetime” mantra.

Your profile says you’re in CA, so maybe check and see if your local owners’ club does something similar?

• Love
Reactions: Adam3
Really interested in actually learning how to do it myself.
This also saves you time along with money. I rotate my own tires also as it only takes me about 1hr to do it. I changed my own cabin air filters on my 2021 along with disinfecting it and it only took about 30 mins. I don't mount my own tires or do wheel alignments, though I wish I had the equipment to do that. My local trusted tire shop couldn't do a wheel alignment on my Tesla due to their equipment setup not allowing them to reach some of the adjustment points so I had to take it to the Tesla service center. $300 and they adjusted the toe that came from the factory out of spec.