Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non- Tesla door handle repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I have 2 door handles to fix again on my out of warranty S, one for the second time. Does anyone know of some non-Tesla tech who can do this repair? I'm in California -- LA -- but I move around the state a lot. If anyone has done their own repair and is up for fixing mine for a fee, let's talk!

Is it the little gear breaking? Mine broke, got new one from Tesla for $1.18. Took a couple hours to get the door mechanism out. Changed the gear, installed the mechanism.
Get extra door mechanism from eBay, i now have 2 extra. I can change fast now. Go get the gears. Watch you tube video. You need 2 metric sockets, T35 torque bit.
The videos made it easy.

Is it the little gear breaking? Mine broke, got new one from Tesla for $1.18. Took a couple hours to get the door mechanism out. Changed the gear, installed the mechanism.
Get extra door mechanism from eBay, i now have 2 extra. I can change fast now. Go get the gears. Watch you tube video. You need 2 metric sockets, T35 torque bit.
The videos made it easy.

I did see the video, and I am a DIYish kind of person. I'm not an automotive DIY guy much any more, and getting that panel off looked like a drag. Local SC quoted $700 a door ... $1400 clams. Dang, for $3.36 worth of parts, and probably for them) 1.5-2 hours of labor. I'd gladly pay $250 a door, if you want to go for it.

Wish Tesla would support the formation of independent Tesla repair shops...

As these cars enter the used market and go out of warranty, people who paid $40-50K for a car are going to be shocked in having to pay ~ $600 to fix a door handle, possibly multiple times...
On the bright side people will be happy to find that their auto body repairs only cost 1/10 vs authorized body shops!

Reactions: David99
I did see the video, and I am a DIYish kind of person. I'm not an automotive DIY guy much any more, and getting that panel off looked like a drag. Local SC quoted $700 a door ... $1400 clams. Dang, for $3.36 worth of parts, and probably for them) 1.5-2 hours of labor. I'd gladly pay $250 a door, if you want to go for it.
I’ve hade the door panel off before. It takes about ten minutes tops with a minimal amount of tools. I watched my service center swap a door handle in the entry bay to the service center in 20 minutes start to finish.

Reactions: David99
Wish Tesla would support the formation of independent Tesla repair shops...

As these cars enter the used market and go out of warranty, people who paid $40-50K for a car are going to be shocked in having to pay ~ $600 to fix a door handle, possibly multiple times...

I'm guessing anyone could open a door handle repair shop. Maybe a stereo or glass place should do it. Probably be frowned on if a authorized body shop took on the task.

Whatever happend to tesla was not going to make money off repairs?
I think they actually don't make any money. They have to deal with a lot of warranty repairs. Tesla is known to release cars that have issues to offload the time to fix the final issues to service centers rather than slowing the factory and production down.

Reactions: cwerdna
And, they told me when I called, that they don't repair the handles anymore. They only put new ones in. So you're actually getting an entirely new handle. I think the cost, if that's the case, is good.

Still, I spent the buck on the part and did the repair myself. Kind of wanted to more for the fun than anything!

And, they told me when I called, that they don't repair the handles anymore. They only put new ones in. So you're actually getting an entirely new handle. I think the cost, if that's the case, is good.

Still, I spent the buck on the part and did the repair myself. Kind of wanted to more for the fun than anything!

That's Tesla's concept in general. They don't repair, they swap out entire units. I don't see how this wasteful way of doing things makes the high price any better.

Whatever happend to tesla was not going to make money off repairs?

Tat statement really means nothing of consequence when door handling repairs are running in the $600-ish price range. Basically they can do the math any way they want for the service center and show they are not making money while still charging a lot for repairs.

This is why I would not dream of owning a Tesla out of warranty.

I’ve hade the door panel off before. It takes about ten minutes tops with a minimal amount of tools. I watched my service center swap a door handle in the entry bay to the service center in 20 minutes start to finish.
Which is why $600 per door is total and absolute BS for Tesla to charge in their "non-profit" service centers on a problem that is obviously a major design flaw

Reactions: Barry and P85Dave
The door handle assembly is not free.
it should be when it's a major design flaw that will break in a matter of time.. and that time frame isn't long. especially when Elon talks about having a non-profit service center strategy... Lastly, I think most of us out of warranty would be fine with just a new wiring harness not a full blown handle assembly. Based on numerous videos online the swap of the wiring harness can be done in less than 30mins and the harness is less than $5

it should be when it's a major design flaw that will break in a matter of time.. and that time frame isn't long. especially when Elon talks about having a non-profit service center strategy... Lastly, I think most of us out of warranty would be fine with just a new wiring harness not a full blown handle assembly. Based on numerous videos online the swap of the wiring harness can be done in less than 30mins and the harness is less than $5
That was my first point. Do it yourself and save hundreds.

Reactions: henderrj