Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non- Tesla door handle repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever happend to tesla was not going to make money off repairs?

I think the key is if you pay Tesla they replace the whole assembly (door handle, motor, wires, lights, etc) instead of just replacing the one wire that is damaged.

So they don't "make money" and on top of that they waste a lot of money and material in the process.

Best thing you can do, if it is out of warranty, is to do the cheaper repair and keep the rest of that assembly from going to a landfill.

Reactions: jelloslug
I think the key is if you pay Tesla they replace the whole assembly (door handle, motor, wires, lights, etc) instead of just replacing the one wire that is damaged.

So they don't "make money" and on top of that they waste a lot of money and material in the process.

Best thing you can do, if it is out of warranty, is to do the cheaper repair and keep the rest of that assembly from going to a landfill.

I took my ford in for an out of warranty repair for ignition issues. They replaced the first part, that didn’t fix it. They replaced the second part, that didn’t fix it. They replaced the third part, that didn’t fix it. After they replaced the 6th part they said it was fixed and I had to pay for all six parts. And then it stalled again leaving their driveway. Part 8 Actually fixed it.

I’ll take a well monitored, fix the one broken part any day.

Some wonderful news. Just spoke with a senior tech at the local SC. He said if the problem is simply a broken gear (which is generally the case when the motor whirs and the handle does not present), the repair is around $220 per door, instead a full on assembly replacement at $750 per door. The key is to ask BEFOREHAND, otherwise they could simple replace the whole assembly. In my case, they need to order the ($2) parts ahead of time, so be sure to give them a heads up that you suspect a bad gear well before your appointment. I can't say every SC has this policy, but at least you can negotiate toward this goal. Not sure if the same thing applies to the micro switch replacement (the other most common fault cause), but I'll ask the tech when I go in.

For those who have watched the DIY replacement video, doing the gear fix on your own is hardly a casual affair, unless you're experienced in that sort of thing. At $220, it's a no brainer for me.

Another useful piece of info: if god forbid they decide they need to replace the assembly, they will give you the old assembly if you ask. You can always eBay that core for $100 or so. Every little bit helps.

Some wonderful news. Just spoke with a senior tech at the local SC. He said if the problem is simply a broken gear (which is generally the case when the motor whirs and the handle does not present), the repair is around $220 per door, instead a full on assembly replacement at $750 per door. The key is to ask BEFOREHAND

For those who have watched the DIY replacement video, doing the gear fix on your own is hardly a casual affair, unless you're experienced in that sort of thing. At $220, it's a no brainer for me.

interesting, I wonder if it has to do with the year of the car. Maybe you're right it's just whichever service center. I am fairly mechanically inclined but found it to be a pretty easy repair after watching the videos.

Wish Tesla would support the formation of independent Tesla repair shops...

As these cars enter the used market and go out of warranty, people who paid $40-50K for a car are going to be shocked in having to pay ~ $600 to fix a door handle, possibly multiple times...

True and that's my biggest issue. Makes me wonder if the gen 3 door handles have been fixed. If not then I might wait for a 3 later on. Wished Tesla could implement a button door handle like the X or manual handles on the 3. Sure it isn't premium but well worth the fact they won't fail every month.

That was my first point. Do it yourself and save hundreds.
Right but early adopters, goodwill... and flawed design... I think Tesla should be taking care of this for free for the life of the car.. better motivation to permanently resolve it that way too. along with door handles, the folks having bubbles and liquid leak from the center screen. Both of these items should be resolved even out of warranty because anything else is just BS.. Tesla relies on the community of owners as marketing... you're going to have owners working against you if you don't treat the "first generation" of them well as they stay patient through these design flaws

Right but early adopters, goodwill... and flawed design... I think Tesla should be taking care of this for free for the life of the car.. better motivation to permanently resolve it that way too. along with door handles, the folks having bubbles and liquid leak from the center screen. Both of these items should be resolved even out of warranty because anything else is just BS.. Tesla relies on the community of owners as marketing... you're going to have owners working against you if you don't treat the "first generation" of them well as they stay patient through these design flaws
That's not question that was asked. The question was: is there a cheaper way to fix the handles?

Reactions: P-town_P85
Doesn't the OEM replacement/repair come with any sort of warranty. Seems to me if Tesla replaces a faulty door handle it should come with some sort of warranty.

Yes, it comes with a 50000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty or 4 years, whichever comes first. From the time of purchase. Do you know anything that extends the warranty when you do a repair on it? If your fridge dies one day before the end of its warranty and they repair it do you get a brand new warranty on it? I think we have to be realistic here. You can't extended warranties forever, it just wouldn't work for business.

Not minor at all. there are SO many reports of door handles failing in the 2-3 year period. It's a poor design that the company needs to either fix, or keep replacing if they can't get it right.

THIS!

We're all brand ambassadors here and this massive failure rate is unsat and embarrassing.

Door handles can't really be abused--these are constantly failing at what appears to be far too high a rate.

Solution: ONE-DECADE, UNLIMITED-MILEAGE WARRANTY ON ALL UNIQUE TESLA FEATURES, such as MS door handles, MX FWD, all MCU's, Drive Units, HV Battery, etc., if not the whole friggin' car.

Elon, please do this.

Thx!

Reactions: Barry
Yes, it comes with a 50000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty or 4 years, whichever comes first. From the time of purchase. Do you know anything that extends the warranty when you do a repair on it? If your fridge dies one day before the end of its warranty and they repair it do you get a brand new warranty on it? I think we have to be realistic here. You can't extended warranties forever, it just wouldn't work for business.

How do you explain the massive amount of door handles going bad though? You can't defend that. Tesla should be fixing all of these for free. No question.

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
Solution: ONE-DECADE, UNLIMITED-MILEAGE WARRANTY ON ALL UNIQUE TESLA FEATURES, such as MS door handles, MX FWD, all MCU's, Drive Units, HV Battery, etc., if not the whole friggin' car.

Thx!

Yes, and while you’re at it, can you please make all the drinking fountains in Fremont dispense chocolate milk and unicorn tears?

Thanks Elon!