Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla EV Purchasers...Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I waited in line like many of you on the 31st to reserve a Model 3. I am incredibly excited and can only seem to pass the time reading the forums and re-watching the unveil, but that's not the point of this thread. I have long been interested in EVs. When I was a kid I was big into RC and I remember the first time I drove a Li-Po powered Brushless RC car...it blew my nitro powered one out the the water and I ended up buying an E-Revo Brushless about a week later. The torque and acceleration ended up breaking more than a few parts, it was my first taste of ludicrous speed.

Ever since then I have been keen on EVs and have reviewed the specs of most that came out waiting for the moment that I saw the performance specs that I knew where possible, but nothing hit the mark. Even more, each EV that came out seemed to be such a spartan and bare-bones machine compared to the ICE offerings at the price, or even at a lower price, that it just seemed like a waste of money. Pile on crap for range, and I just couldn't understand how these where selling.

Then came along Tesla.

Everything they touch gold. The pinnacle of luxury and performance to beat almost anything on the track.

So, with that being said, I really want to know what the big pull for most non-Tesla EV buyers was. Looking forward to your responses.

Have you test driven a non Tesla EV? They are still a lot of fun to drive and the torque off the line blows most gas sipping ICE sedans out of the water. So they are fun cars that are also efficient. Most people can't afford a Tesla (at least until 2018), but the "regular" EV experience is so much better than an ICE car that people are won over.

When I test drove my Volt coming from a Lexus it impressed the heck out of me. I could reduce my fuel costs on my 80 mile round trip drive and still have a fun to drive car! So instead of buying a Prius and giving up driving fun for economy, I got to have my cake and eat it too.

Reactions: tvuolo and dhrivnak
Cheaper, lower insurance rates, readily and immediately available, vast dealer network to fix issues, brand loyalty, familiarity, assurance of future viability, better consumer reports rating, higher reliability rating, etc etc etc

There are lots of reasons. I love my Model S but let's be real, there are viable reasons to drive other cars too.

Reactions: gene and JenniferQ
All EV's share a common trait, the instant torque of the driveline, no matter what the price or HP.

My first EV experience was at an AutoX track when a pre-release CODA showed up and let us beat the crap out their FWD econobox EV. It was a blast, even though it was gutless compared to what I'm used to. EV is just a better method of propulsion.

I'm not pro-EV to save the whales, or restructure the middle east. I'm pro-EV because it's a superior powertrain, and it will eventually replace most spark and compression ignition engines in passenger cars.

So the last 2 new cars I've purchased have been Volts, which are technically for my kids, but I drive them now and then. We very seldom drive on gas since 90% of our driving is in congested urban areas.

So far, I've been "on the fence" about the Model S for a year now. But I want something smaller. That's why I got rid of the CTS-V. Not as tossable as I like. I actually like driving the Volts more than the CTS-V.

If Tesla still made the Roadster, I'd probably own one now. When they were first released, nobody knew how long they would be supported. Advertising a $12,000 seven year battery warranty(?) didn't give anyone warm fuzzies at the time, when nobody knew if Tesla would be around in 7 years. With an ICE, you can always find NOS or junkyard stuff for a discontinued brand. Not so much with EVs though. Too new, too few.

I really want an EV sports car for myself, not a sedan. But since I won't buy used, I will either wait or settle. If Tesla offers a sports package for the Model 3, I'll buy one. If the Model 3 is over 4000 lb and large, no dice.

Very true. Kind of like the only reason to buy a non-Ferrari sports car is the price. But that only reason turns out to be a pretty big reason for most people. Model 3 can't get here fast enough.

Ferrari's are temperamental beasts that have been know to set themselves afire on an afternoon drive and routinely break down out of spite. A Model S can be a reliable DD while still ripping your face off when you punch the gas--err...accelerator.

All EV's share a common trait, the instant torque of the driveline, no matter what the price or HP.

Ok, The reason I am getting a model 3 is because of the power delivery, I have not made any qualms about that; however, I think some comparisons are in order.

I DD a Ford ST, and I love it. It peaks at around 300 ft/lbs of torque at just shy of 2500 RPM. A leaf, has a total of 187 ft/lbs of torque starting a 0 RMP - exactly why I love electric car, but the problem here is that the ST has 187 ft/lbs of torque at just 1200 RPM which is just higher than what my clutch release point it, so anytime the wheels are actually moving - I have the same (or way more) Tq at my disposal. I get it, the best I can do on the highway is 31 MPG, but I have similar cargo capacity, a subjectively better interior, a starting price of about $4k less, and more fun with my right foot than I know what do do with.

I lease a Chevy Spark EV. It really came down to an economic decision for me. After tax credit reduction, state rebate, and incentive from my company (I work for the power company here), it was a no brainer. I basically have a 3 year lease for free. The extra bonus is that the Spark EV is surprisingly fun to drive, torquey as hell, I got a free charging station, and it's fits anywhere.

I would love to have a Model S, but it won't fit in my garage and it's not free. I can't wait for the M3, but I have a peppy commuter car in the meantime. The timing of the Model 3 will fit perfectly with the end of my lease. Now it's time to save!