Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla EV Purchasers...Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, The reason I am getting a model 3 is because of the power delivery, I have not made any qualms about that; however, I think some comparisons are in order.

I DD a Ford ST, and I love it. It peaks at around 300 ft/lbs of torque at just shy of 2500 RPM. A leaf, has a total of 187 ft/lbs of torque starting a 0 RMP - exactly why I love electric car, but the problem here is that the ST has 187 ft/lbs of torque at just 1200 RPM which is just higher than what my clutch release point it, so anytime the wheels are actually moving - I have the same (or way more) Tq at my disposal. I get it, the best I can do on the highway is 31 MPG, but I have similar cargo capacity, a subjectively better interior, a starting price of about $4k less, and more fun with my right foot than I know what do do with.

A Leaf would beat your ST across the intersection, maybe. After about 10-15 mph it would be embarrassed. The Model 3 (if the S is any indication) will be in an altogether different league.

Because they are electric. I cannot imagine buying any vehicle that is not electric. The Evs available for purchase today would be uninspiring if they were in fact not electric. I want all vehicles on the roads to be electric and cannot stand the hated aimed toward them, not just from the 'coal rollers' but from other electric vehicle fans. We need more electric vehicles and less oil fuel based vehicles for not just our health but for the planet's. Over time hopefully more choices become available so one doesn't have to chose from a one size fits all mentality that will eventually go away. I’ve test driven a Nissan Leaf and sat in a Tesla Model S enough to realize that some cars do not fit me or fit in my garage. In time one will.

Reactions: cdub
Really? Bought a Model S last month. My multi-car insurance with USAA went up a total of $60 for the year.
I suppose it depends on what you're coming from. I have USAA as well. And, yes, the Tesla is cheap relative to the Mercedes GL63 I came from, but only just. It is very expensive compared to other EVs, like a Leaf, or Prius. And it has to be, it's a much more expensive car to repair. Are you saying the Tesla is only $60 more than another EV you switched from?

I suppose it depends on what you're coming from. I have USAA as well. And, yes, the Tesla is cheap relative to the Mercedes GL63 I came from, but only just. It is very expensive compared to other EVs, like a Leaf, or Prius. And it has to be, it's a much more expensive car to repair. Are you saying the Tesla is only $60 more than another EV you switched from?

Came out of a Mercedes E class which had a similar price to my MS. Had a Prius before that and looked at the rate from then and the Tesla is $360 per year higher.

Because they are electric. I cannot imagine buying any vehicle that is not electric. The Evs available for purchase today would be uninspiring if they were in fact not electric. I want all vehicles on the roads to be electric and cannot stand the hated aimed toward them, not just from the 'coal rollers' but from other electric vehicle fans. We need more electric vehicles and less oil fuel based vehicles for not just our health but for the planet's. Over time hopefully more choices become available so one doesn't have to chose from a one size fits all mentality that will eventually go away. I’ve test driven a Nissan Leaf and sat in a Tesla Model S enough to realize that some cars do not fit me or fit in my garage. In time one will.

What did you end up buying?

The other car was totaled and had to be replaced. I had hoped to keep the other car running until the M3, didn't work out that way. Denise didn't want a big car, so there wasn't much choice--got a Leaf because we're not in California.

Kemper had the best rates for our cars. We have about $$$k worth of cars, and a six figure supercar. I highly recommend their service as well.
Haha! My S was "six figures," but my Ferrari was a whole different "six figures!" Barrett Jackson has by far the best rates for supercars, I found. I will check out Kemper. It's so hard to move because USAA has such good customer service ratings and the others not so much when I look at online reviews.

Really? Bought a Model S last month. My multi-car insurance with USAA went up a total of $60 for the year.
My half-year insurance dropped to $587 for my 2016 85D in spite of a claim last August on our first S85 of $5900 for a 'no-fault' repair claim (picked up a large bungee cord on the Thruway and beat up the side of the car pretty badly). That's the lowest rate I've paid in the last 10+ yrs. for 250/500 w/$250 deductible.

The only reason to buy a non-Tesla EV is the price.

Err, no, actually.
Price is currently a very large issue for many, but there are plenty of other reasons.
High service costs, repairs only at Tesla's own service centers, a company where the future prospects are more or less in the hands of one man, well-known reliability problems, communications issues, necessity to always calculate a special "Tesla time",...

Even though I have a Model 3 reservation and am hoping to really get the car sometime in 2018 (seems realistic), I am by no means sure it will actually happen. I do hope so, but who knows.

And if the current announcements from the competition are anything to go by, we will have quite a bit of EV choice by then. So if there is a tempting BEV 3-series BMW at a comparable price, or a nice e-Golf version 2.0, I am not sure what I will do. Plus, all the possible other competitors.

Just saying, Tesla sure is cool, has great tech and a "must-have" factor, but so does Apple, and yet most of my family, friends and colleagues prefer non-Apple products. Same with cars. So while I do agree that currently, Tesla can be considered the top choice for many reasons, only the SC network is a real exclusive that no competitor will be able to match anytime soon.

High service costs, repairs only at Tesla's own service centers, a company where the future prospects are more or less in the hands of one man, well-known reliability problems, communications issues, necessity to always calculate a special "Tesla time",...

While some of these are absolutely legitimate concerns, IMO they are not sufficient to justify buying an inferior product. E.g., yes it would be much more convenient to take my car to the local Nissan dealer for service, but to benefit from that convenience, which is relevant maybe 2% of the time I will own the car, I would have to sacrifice by driving a much worse car every single day. Not worth it. And if you don't take price into consideration, which was my point, the biggest of these concerns -- service costs, reliability problems -- become much less important.

And if the current announcements from the competition are anything to go by, we will have quite a bit of EV choice by then. So if there is a tempting BEV 3-series BMW at a comparable price, or a nice e-Golf version 2.0, I am not sure what I will do. Plus, all the possible other competitors.

I hope all of these Tesla competitors come to market in the near future; GM is well on its way with the recent EPA announcement of the Bolt. If they do, Tesla will have serious and, frankly, needed competition. But I was talking about right now. If you want to drive a BEV today, you can drive a Leaf, an i3, or a Model S (or maybe a smattering of others if you live in a CARB state). Given those choices, I drive a Model S. In five years, I would absolutely consider another make's EV if it is competitive with Tesla's offering at the time.