Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla EV Purchasers...Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dipped my foot in EV with a 2013 Volt lease, LOVED every electric mile of it. With my commute and other usage, the EV miles were 96+% of the total miles. Still, I HATED it when the ICE came on, so when that lease was over, I leased a Spark EV, with 95 miles of EV range, that's way more than I need to commute to work. And like another poster said, my lease is only $84/month, with the state and county rebates, the car is pretty much "free" to drive for 3 years. While I can afford a MS, the nagging issues with QC, long wait for service, not to mention that I'm at least an hour away from a service center, and the high cost of repair (out of warranty) steered me away from Tesla. To me, at the price Tesla charges, the various QC problems are just not acceptable. Sure service is amazing by all accounts, I don't want to have to take time off work to get the car there, and wait for weeks (?) to get it back, and I've seen several owners on this forum who have to go back for the same problem. I'm eagerly waiting to see how the M3 shakes out, if QC & reliability improves, I may go for one after the initial wave subsided. I've had zero issues with either the Volt or Spark EV, not one. My wife even picked up a 2017 Volt last week, MUCH improved over my Gen I Volt. At this time, I intend to get the Bolt late this year or early next year. Also, EVs to me are nice to commute and take family trips, but they're not FUN cars. ICE still is the way to go. That's why I'm not against ICE like so many of TMC members are, and still have a Z06 for the track and canyon runs.

Last edited:
I hope all of these Tesla competitors come to market in the near future; GM is well on its way with the recent EPA announcement of the Bolt. If they do, Tesla will have serious and, frankly, needed competition. But I was talking about right now. If you want to drive a BEV today, you can drive a Leaf, an i3, or a Model S (or maybe a smattering of others if you live in a CARB state). Given those choices, I drive a Model S. In five years, I would absolutely consider another make's EV if it is competitive with Tesla's offering at the time.

Ok, I didn't realize you were just talking about buying now.
In that respect I do agree with you, Tesla certainly is the best you can get now. But as you said, price is key. So if I can't afford an 80K Euro plus car, I am left with other choices. And of those, my favorite is the e-Golf, hands down. Imho it is the best BEV on the market that is not a Tesla.