Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla extended warranty stories and experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

Simple question. Though this demographic may be in extreme minority, but has anyone purchased non Tesla warranty on their coverage?

If so, can you share your provider, costs (if you don't mind), and experiences of customer service, successful/unsuccessful claims?

So far, it seems also Xcel Auto does this... But curious to hear what else is out there?

Thank you in advance!

Extended warranties that aren't from the manufacturer are, 90% of the time, a rip-off. Often the company that sells you the warranty still takes payments knowing that the underwriter (the company that actually pays the money) is no longer. Often the terms of the warranty make it very difficult to actually get service.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Extended warranties that aren't from the manufacturer are, 90% of the time, a rip-off. Often the company that sells you the warranty still takes payments knowing that the underwriter (the company that actually pays the money) is no longer. Often the terms of the warranty make it very difficult to actually get service.

That's right Jerry, thus this thread asking for people's experiences. As far as I know... This is the only warranty that has been vetted and mentioned on this forum too:

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

The only time I had a third party extended warranty, it paid off. I had a Porsche go out of warranty that was in the known engine seal failure window, but this was before class the action suit settled so I didn't know that failures were going to be covered. I bought a third party warranty (sorry I don't remember the company) and while the engine never needed it I did have an electrical / computer system failure that would have cost more than the warranty so it did pay off. No issues with that company writing the check either, Porsche submitted the bill to them directly once I turned over the contact info and I never had to bother with any hassle.

The only time I had a third party extended warranty, it paid off. I had a Porsche go out of warranty that was in the known engine seal failure window, but this was before class the action suit settled so I didn't know that failures were going to be covered. I bought a third party warranty (sorry I don't remember the company) and while the engine never needed it I did have an electrical / computer system failure that would have cost more than the warranty so it did pay off. No issues with that company writing the check either, Porsche submitted the bill to them directly once I turned over the contact info and I never had to bother with any hassle.

Thank you for your response and experience sharing, bud. Yeah I am thinking warranty will be a great idea. Just trying to see if the warranty options that exist outside of Tesla have had any success.

Ive always read (including Consumer Reports), that financially, extended warranties arent worth the money. On average, if a person put the money they would have spent on an extended warranty, into a safe savings account? More often then not, out of pocket repair costs will be lower than the amount put into the account.

However, there are always the outliers that benefit. But generally speaking, if we think about it: the aftermarket warranty companies make money by NOT paying out. Hence the usual tons of exclusions, deductibles, etc.

Has anyone actually used X-Care EV Warranty? The claim is that they charge only $100 per event deductible instead of Tesla's $200. They also will go up to 6 years instead of 4. I have a 2016.5 Model S just out of the 4 year warranty. A Barron's article reported that the US Auto Safety department is investigating Tesla's 2012-2015 model years touchscreen failures. though there were only 11 complaints.

I purchased a third party extended warranty from Axiom for my Tesla - sold from a local used car dealer at the time I bought my car.

Had my first claim a week ago. It was a bit of pain, but only because Tesla would only deal with their own ESA or me (Tesla refused to call my warranty company). The pain was I ended up being that dreaded middle man between Tesla and the warranty company. I had to pay for all the work upfront and the warranty company committed to sending me a check for the difference after providing all the documentation of the repair and payment. I should say talking with the warranty company was easy all things considered.

I still haven't received a check back so I am still holding out on saying it was good or bad. I do expect to get it soon as everything was submitted and approved.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I purchased a third party extended warranty from Axiom for my Tesla - sold from a local used car dealer at the time I bought my car.

Had my first claim a week ago. It was a bit of pain, but only because Tesla would only deal with their own ESA or me (Tesla refused to call my warranty company). The pain was I ended up being that dreaded middle man between Tesla and the warranty company. I had to pay for all the work upfront and the warranty company committed to sending me a check for the difference after providing all the documentation of the repair and payment. I should say talking with the warranty company was easy all things considered.

I still haven't received a check back so I am still holding out on saying it was good or bad. I do expect to get it soon as everything was submitted and approved.

Thanks for sharing... If you don't mind... What was the cost of your warranty and the terms? Thanks.

I bought the Xcare warranty since Tesla doesn’t offer an extended warranty for the 3. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I have not had to make a claim, so I can’t comment on that.

I would think Model 3 and Y buyers would be the bigger buyers of these since we don’t have a Tesla option. But most cars are still under the bumper to bumper at this point.

Here is at least one experience: X-Care Experiences

As I approach 8 years and 100,000 miles on my S, this topic has become of significant interest to me as well. I'm sure it'd be expensive, but given the cost of a potential battery failure (already had 1) or a drive unit failure, I'd be happy to pay for an extended warranty even if it's not cheap.

As I approach 8 years and 100,000 miles on my S, this topic has become of significant interest to me as well. I'm sure it'd be expensive, but given the cost of a potential battery failure (already had 1) or a drive unit failure, I'd be happy to pay for an extended warranty even if it's not cheap.

I don't know of any of the extended warranties that cover the battery. (X-Care doesn't last I checked.)

you are on your own with a battery failure. IF you found a company that would cover it, at this age/miles? I can imagine that the actuaries at said company would have the premium set sky high

I don't know of any of the extended warranties that cover the battery. (X-Care doesn't last I checked.)
What about things like air suspension? I'm curious what is actually covered. The main point of an extended warranty, for me, is the ultra expensive drive train, of which I considered the battery part of that. If that's not covered, I'm not sure what the point would be.

What about things like air suspension? I'm curious what is actually covered. The main point of an extended warranty, for me, is the ultra expensive drive train, of which I considered the battery part of that. If that's not covered, I'm not sure what the point would be.

The @X-Care EV service plan covers almost everything other than the battery and drive-unit. So yes the air suspension is covered. The X-Care plan is an exclusionary plan meaning it covers everything that isn't listed as excluded in their plan document. (They sort of mirrored it after the Tesla ESA.)

Some expensive things that would be covered, and aren't entirely uncommon failures:
  • MCU (center screen and computer)
  • Air suspension
  • Air conditioning
  • DC-DC converter
  • HV cabin heater
  • Battery heater
  • Charger
  • High-voltage junction box (For cars where it isn't part of the charger.)
  • Cooling louvers in the front of the car
  • Door handles

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: ckessel and croman