Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla Gigafactory in Sweden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like we are getting on the EV world map here in Sweden as well.

Former Tesla executives plan their own Gigafactory in Sweden to bring battery cost down below $100/kwh

Question is if there is a viable business for just producing the batteries for other manufacturers, but I would think it would be of interest for many European car makers switching to hybrids and pure EV.
Maybe even Tesla for future car factories in this part of the world.

I would think that Elon would be happy that others are starting to make GF's beside Tesla.

What do you guys think? Will this ever be a reality?

I haven't been able to find what type of battery cell they are going to produce, there haven't been a lot of technical details released yet.

From my understand, it will mostly be for grid energy storage in the beginning. With the high amount of renewable energy produced here in Scandinavia it will probably be the best business case for them to begin with.

Volvo is also talking more and more plugin and EV, so I guess they may be a potential local costumer as well.

32 GWh in four phases.

Start with 8 GWh seems perfectly reasonable to start in the energy storage business.

They probably need to raise $1.5B to start. And a total of ~$4.5B for the finished 32 GWh factory. Sweden is more expensive to do business than Nevada.

It is not just the factory but overhead for starting a new company.

By 2030 Europe will need ~10 GF. So there is room for GF besides Tesla.