Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla loaner vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you actually get an ICE when having service done on your Tesla?

Is it just me? I find it insulting for the amount of money we paid for our vehicles that we have to drive an ICE when our vehicles are in for regular maintenance or in my case a drive unit replacement. Do I have too high of expectations?

How long were you scheduled for your appointment? During scheduled appointments I ask for EV loaners ONLY and usually scheduled out weeks to months before I need to come in. For emergencies, it's a different matter.

I dunno, when I took $60,000+ ICEs into service sometimes they give me a $30-40k model too, though those dealerships will usually prioritize higher-model cars to get the best loaners they have. But they'll also just drive you over to Hertz/Enterprise if they ran out of cars, so once I took in an Audi S4 and walked out with a GMC Yukon XL and had to figure out how the hell to park that thing in SF.

My SvC will say "first appointment w/Tesla loaner is X" or "first appointment with Enterprise is Y". Which would you prefer?
I like the option pushed back to us. When my Panamera was being serviced, I was frequently provided whatever was available....often not another Porsche and often not as nice as my ride. No big deal; it made me more grateful.

I have always gotten a Model S loaner. Once I got an offer like NikeWings - we can get you in on day X with Enterprise, or on day Y with a Tesla (probably, unless something unusual comes up). But aside from that one time, all that happens is they say they have me scheduled, and a loaner will be ready, and it is always a Model S.

Last week I scheduled an appointment a week out to get my winter/summer tires swapped and a detail done. Even with just a week's notice for a very not-critical visit, I got a Model S loaner.

Of course, this is all going to depend on local conditions and some luck.

When I've gone in I've always been told the loaders are first come first served. If they have any Tesla's to loan, they give them out first, but when those are gone, it's a rental car. No promises what you're going to get until you get there.

The first two times I got an S. The first time an inventory car a little older than mine a 70D, the second was a used P90DL, and the last time I got a Nissan that I think had the most uncomfortable driver's seat I've ever experienced.

My appointment was for the drive unit replacement and service advisor could not guarantee I would get a Tesla loaner. I did receive a Tesla loaner.

Very first time I had service done I opted to have Tesla bring me a loaner and pick up my Model S at work. To my surprise they brought an Audi A4. I was a new owner and was very surprised. I was not impressed with the A4. I have never been an Audi fan. Since then I have had two other times I needed a loaner. This last time I was told they could not guarantee a Tesla loaner and that prompted this thread.

How many of you actually get an ICE when having service done on your Tesla?

Is it just me? I find it insulting for the amount of money we paid for our vehicles that we have to drive an ICE when our vehicles are in for regular maintenance or in my case a drive unit replacement. Do I have too high of expectations?
insulting? I don't know what is insulting about them not having a tesla to loan you for a day.
I own and have owned mercedes for the last 20+ years and they do not always have an equivalent car for me to use, in fact the dealership I use now has an enterprise desk in the service area.
however when I brought in my SL and they gave me a c class I wasn't insulted.

Reactions: Joelc and bonnie
insulting? I don't know what is insulting about them not having a tesla to loan you for a day.
I own and have owned mercedes for the last 20+ years and they do not always have an equivalent car for me to use, in fact the dealership I use now has an enterprise desk in the service area.
however when I brought in my SL and they gave me a c class I wasn't insulted.
I'm with you on this. I'm just glad to have something decent to drive. I don't expect them to keep a large number of Tesla loaners available. I usually get a Tesla, but not always.

Now if they were to give me some flashy red Mustang with a loud engine, they'd have to think again :). I do have my limits.

......Do I have too high of expectations?

I would say no, your expectations are not too high. I think it's very reasonable to expect a company to follow their written policy, especially if they continue to advertise that Tesla models will be the primary vehicle except in some very unusual cases.

What's insulting is Tesla advertises one thing and does another.

Tesla has a written loaner car policy and they routinely don't follow it. There are plenty of threads of this issue.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

Furthermore, a Tesla exec used this board to double down on the Tesla loaner car policy:

• It's our intent to have Tesla loaners as the primary loaner in all of our service locations. No change here. We constantly monitor and forecast loads to make sure we have adequate loaners in place (this is new and getting better -- experiences from last March aren't representative).
  • During peaks (like winter tire changeovers), we may have to resort to rental cars. It pains us to do this, but helps keep our promise of a loaner to you. To ease this, we've worked with folks at Hertz, Avis, Sixt and Enterprise to add more Teslas to their fleets.
Tesla service loaner policy

Reactions: Spidy
  • It's our intent to have Tesla loaners as the primary loaner in all of our service locations. No change here. We constantly monitor and forecast loads to make sure we have adequate loaners in place (this is new and getting better -- experiences from last March aren't representative).
  • During peaks (like winter tire changeovers), we may have to resort to rental cars. It pains us to do this, but helps keep our promise of a loaner to you. To ease this, we've worked with folks at Hertz, Avis, Sixt and Enterprise to add more Teslas to their fleets.
Tesla service loaner policy
wow, you got from that statement that there is a guarantee of having a tesla available as a loaner? SMH

Tesla's entire approach on this has really been questionable for awhile now... Elon and Tesla, via blog posts and tweets, have put forth and experience expectation that rarely, and I mean rarely around here, matches with reality. While I'm not going to use the word "guarantee", its very strongly suggested that your experience will include getting a Tesla loaner when your Tesla is in for service. Furthermore, it's very strongly suggested that you'll get a very nice Tesla as a carrot to get you thinking about upgrading which also has never happened to me.

In the end I just wish Elon and whoever writes Tesla's blog posts, would stop writing checks the actual service department can't cash...

Jeff

Reactions: gabeincal
Tesla's entire approach on this has really been questionable for awhile now... Elon and Tesla, via blog posts and tweets, have put forth and experience expectation that rarely, and I mean rarely around here, matches with reality. While I'm not going to use the word "guarantee", its very strongly suggested that your experience will include getting a Tesla loaner when your Tesla is in for service. Furthermore, it's very strongly suggested that you'll get a very nice Tesla as a carrot to get you thinking about upgrading which also has never happened to me.

In the end I just wish Elon and whoever writes Tesla's blog posts, would stop writing checks the actual service department can't cash...

Jeff
sadly tesla seems to over promise under deliver way too often

I have always gotten a Model S loaner. Once I got an offer like NikeWings - we can get you in on day X with Enterprise, or on day Y with a Tesla (probably, unless something unusual comes up). But aside from that one time, all that happens is they say they have me scheduled, and a loaner will be ready, and it is always a Model S.

Last week I scheduled an appointment a week out to get my winter/summer tires swapped and a detail done. Even with just a week's notice for a very not-critical visit, I got a Model S loaner.

Of course, this is all going to depend on local conditions and some luck.

A detail done at Tesla?!?! :rolleyes:o_O

A detail done at Tesla?!?! :rolleyes:o_O

Yeah, I had a full detail on my Due Bill from delivery. Tesla didn't really do the detail; they just took it to a nearby shop that they generally use for that type of work.

Like most owners, I'm really happy with the car and ownership experience. But I agree it would be better if Musk didn't promise more than they are delivering. They are already delivering a lot; he doesn't have to do that.

sadly tesla seems to over promise under deliver way too often

I think they delivered what they promised when it counts. I've owned my car for 11 months now. In that time I've been without my car for 9 days, 2 because of a trip where I had to fly and the other 7 were due to service related things and I only had an ICE once (for three days). So out of the 330 or so days I've owned the car, I've had the best car money can buy at my disposal for 325 days. Personally I'm happy with what Tesla has delivered to me.

It would be nice to have a Tesla loaner every time I had to take my car in, but my car has been in the shop fewer days than my Buick was in its first year. And that Buick was still going strong when I sold it at just shy of 25 years old last December. When I took in my Buick I only got a loaner once. The other times I was on my own for transportation.

There may come a day when Tesla has enough spare cars floating around to loan out Teslas to everyone who takes their car in, but I see that as a bonus, not a right. It's a step up for me to get a loaner of any kind in the first place!

I think they delivered what they promised when it counts. I've owned my car for 11 months now. In that time I've been without my car for 9 days, 2 because of a trip where I had to fly and the other 7 were due to service related things and I only had an ICE once (for three days). So out of the 330 or so days I've owned the car, I've had the best car money can buy at my disposal for 325 days. Personally I'm happy with what Tesla has delivered to me.

It would be nice to have a Tesla loaner every time I had to take my car in, but my car has been in the shop fewer days than my Buick was in its first year. And that Buick was still going strong when I sold it at just shy of 25 years old last December. When I took in my Buick I only got a loaner once. The other times I was on my own for transportation.

There may come a day when Tesla has enough spare cars floating around to loan out Teslas to everyone who takes their car in, but I see that as a bonus, not a right. It's a step up for me to get a loaner of any kind in the first place!
I have never had to have my tesla in for service that took more than a day or two, however there are many horror stories, ignoring body work, about many days of telsas being out of service for many days or weeks. with my original model S I had to fight for and then wait a few weeks for a drive unit replacement but the car didn't go into until the unit was delivered.
I've never had any of my ICE vehicles down for service for that long of a time

I have never had to have my tesla in for service that took more than a day or two, however there are many horror stories, ignoring body work, about many days of telsas being out of service for many days or weeks. with my original model S I had to fight for and then wait a few weeks for a drive unit replacement but the car didn't go into until the unit was delivered.
I've never had any of my ICE vehicles down for service for that long of a time

I had my S in for about 5 months altogether this year. But then, I did have S loaners.