Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla loaner vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never had to have my tesla in for service that took more than a day or two, however there are many horror stories, ignoring body work, about many days of telsas being out of service for many days or weeks. with my original model S I had to fight for and then wait a few weeks for a drive unit replacement but the car didn't go into until the unit was delivered.
I've never had any of my ICE vehicles down for service for that long of a time

My experience has all been within the last year, but their turn around for me has been very fast. Because of the distance to the nearest service center, I usually take my car in a day early so they can have it first thing the next morning. One of the times it was in was for something optional (replacing the front seats with next gen seats). The other times have been for minor things.

The last time I was in, they had the cars stacked 2-3 deep in the parking lot and had a lot more staff on. I think they ended up with it three days more because of me than them. I took it in a day early and I think they didn't have it ready until late the next day and I had some reason I couldn't make it in the following day. I forget the details, but in two cases I could have had the car the same day if I had taken it in first thing in the morning.

When the Model S was new, Tesla was in the process of figuring out what was wrong and they were still learning how to do service on the cars. Compared to any established auto maker, they were babes in the woods. That's one of the prices of being an early adopter.

Well, from the quarterly call, the goal (!) is that *everyone* gets a P100D for a loaner. I was shocked, I thought they were going to say 'everyone gets a Tesla'. But it looks like they are ramping up the service center cars, with a lot more loaners and demo cars (my demo had 12 miles on it, and was of course a brand new X).

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla Motors, Inc.

Yeah, in fact this will take us a few months to fully deploy. But our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it'll be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time, because you have the absolute top of the line Tesla as a service loaner.

SeekingAlpha transcript

They also mentioned opening service centers with 20-40-80 (!) lifts. WTF...

They also mentioned opening service centers with 20-40-80 (!) lifts. WTF...
supplying top of the line cars for loaners could get costly for tesla.
I think that having larger service centers is necessary to handle the number of cars they have sold and will sell. we've all have heard about or experienced delays in getting a car in for routine service.
My local MB dealer and other ones that I've seen easily have 80+ bays/lifts for service. the real trick will be to find techs who are well versed in the nuances of the car.

I think that having larger service centers is necessary to handle the number of cars they have sold and will sell. we've all have heard about or experienced delays in getting a car in for routine service.
My local MB dealer and other ones that I've seen easily have 80+ bays/lifts for service. the real trick will be to find techs who are well versed in the nuances of the car.
Oh, I agree they will need that, but it was the first I'd heard of that sort of size SC along with the Ranger (Mobile whatever) program expansion.

That's also a lot of land for that square feet of lifts. I can't see, for example, expanding the Tysons SC in Northern Virginia that much, and it may be a place where a large service facility is needed.

How many of you actually get an ICE when having service done on your Tesla?

Is it just me? I find it insulting for the amount of money we paid for our vehicles that we have to drive an ICE when our vehicles are in for regular maintenance or in my case a drive unit replacement. Do I have too high of expectations?

You're reaction is quite normal ...

When I first got a loaner, it was a dirty ICE car...

SHOCKING..

... you'll learn to lower your expectations soon enough like the rest of us....

Just pray you don't get your car back w/o any damage...

It's actually a cunning plan on the part of Tesla. The P100D costs only a little bit more to build than a 100D. The profit margin on the top of the line cars is huge. By providing them as service loaners, they may end up selling some to people who love them so much they scrape together the money for an upgrade.

It's actually a cunning plan on the part of Tesla. The P100D costs only a little bit more to build than a 100D. The profit margin on the top of the line cars is huge. By providing them as service loaners, they may end up selling some to people who love them so much they scrape together the money for an upgrade.
Excellent point. The *price* delta on the X 100D to P100D is $45K (approximately). I bet the cost is only a thousand or two for the parts and that may even be way high.

Mine's in today for an alignment and rattle in the dash fix and got a Caddy XTS for a loaner (Enterprise rental). At least here in Portland, the 8 a.m. appointments get the Tesla loaners (I was in at 9 a.m.) Sad to not get another Model S, I was most appreciative that the Caddy was ready to go and all paperwork filled out ahead of time. Top notch customer service!

I got a year or two old gas guzzling Ford Explorer last time I left the car at the dealer. I wasn't particularly happy about it, but it's not a big enough deal to raise a fuss. I would have preferred a Nissan Leaf or Volt or something rather than a gas guzzler. Might have been more annoyed if I had to fill up the tank every week during a long service.

This was at the Buena Park center.