Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla luxury/performance EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recognize that the writing is on the wall for automobile enthusiasts top be forced into EV's. I'm against it but I'm also realistic so I think about what I may want to drive in the future.

I currently own and drive an S-Class Mercedes Benz, and quite a few other trucks and motorcycles.

This is especially true as I hope to move back to Central Coast California in the semi-near future, and I don't like Tesla (TRUELY nothing personal to you owners, I'm trying to get over that. Feel free to peruse my other thread if you are interested)

Its a tough market now for anyone who wants a higher end EV that is not a Tesla.

Mercedes Benz EV's are in their infancy, and not widely available. Also a MB will need a couple years to depreciate before it makes financial sense for me to buy one.

The same applies to Lucid, and no way am I going to buy a startup rather than from the most established automobile manufacturer in the world.

BMW's are just plain ugly in my estimation, and their EV performance qualities are not impressive.

Volvo/Polestar has potential but again not widely available, not depreciated, and made in China is a negative.

Cadillac has potential, but price point is not there, and GM has a bad (earned) reputation for poor quality in new models, especially EV's.

Lincoln has little to offer, and may be years before they do.

Lexus has announced some interesting upcoming models, but Toyota is conservative so may be years off.

Audi makes some compelling stuff, but price point is too high for what you get. May be worth it after depreciation but I don't know.

Porsche, same comments as Audi but even more so on the price/value equation.

Jaguar makes a nice EV, but it is a little long in the tooth now and short ranged.

My S Class and I are committed to another 10 years together. I'm hoping the timing works out with one of the opportunities listed above.

Last edited:
I have test driven 2 Teslas. An S and a Model 3 Performance. I liked the S somewhat, but I think the price is too high for what you get.

I had issues with the quality defects in fit finish and paint that we all read about in the automotive publications and websites.

As I understand it, the quality and materials of the Plaid are the same as other S's so I would not expect it to be up to the standards of a mainstream luxury marque and not what I would expect for the price point.

I asked my question here because I have had another post here and have come to respect the thoughts and opinions of the membership. It is also helpful for me to 'get to know' EV type people and Tesla owners in particular. I have a severe anti Tesla prejudice that I am in the process of overcoming and positive contact with your community helps in that endeavor.