Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla owners take delivery of Model 3 VIN 58XX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I was at the Woodburn OR Supercharger yesterday (on a trip from SF to Vancouver Canada) and spoke with a new Model 3 owner who had never owned a Tesla before and is not not a Tesla or SpaceX employee. Just took delivery of VIN 58XX. Highest VIN I have seen, and I’ve seen quite a few 3’s in the SF Bay Area where I live. I did not take a photo of the car, which was red.

Then a few hours later I was at the Centralia WA Supercharger and there was a black Model 3 charging. Again, it was brand new and the owner was not a previous Tesla owner or a Tesla/SpaceX employee. VIN 58XX. This time I took a photo because the sun was out and the car looked great. The owner was talking about the car non-stop because people kept coming up to him and asking about it. And I was surprised when two teenage girls walked by and asked if they could take a photo of the 3. They weren’t interested in any of the other Teslas that were there charging, just the 3! They clearly knew that it was something new and exciting.

Also, earlier that day, near Grants Pass OR, I saw a Tesla transporter loaded with new cars, including two Model 3’s, heaving north on I5. The 3’s are coming to the Pacific Northwest!

18B3E5B4-8EB6-418D-972D-8F8588BDB1D6.jpeg

Last edited:
I was at the Woodburn OR Supercharger yesterday (on a trip from SF to Vancouver Canada) and spoke with a new Model 3 owner who had never owned a Tesla before and is not not a Tesla or SpaceX employee. Just took delivery of VIN 58XX. Highest VIN I have seen, and I’ve seen quite a few 3’s in the SF Bay Area where I live. I did not take a photo of the car, which was red.

Then a few hours later I was at the Centralia WA Supercharger and there was a black Model 3 charging. Again, it was brand new and the owner was not a previous Tesla owner or a Tesla/SpaceX employee. VIN 58XX. This time I took a photo because the sun was out and the car looked great. The owner was talking about the car non-stop because people kept coming up to him and asking about it. And I was surprised when two teenage girls walked by and asked if they could take a photo of the 3. They weren’t interested in any of the other Teslas that were there charging, just the 3! They clearly knew that it was something new and exciting.

Also, earlier that day, near Grants Pass OR, I saw a Tesla transporter loaded with new cars, including two Model 3’s, heaving north on I5. The 3’s are coming to the Pacific Northwest!

View attachment 281144
This is awesome news if they indeed had no affiliation with Tesla and were not previous owners!

It's happening folks! Maybe not as quickly as we might like...but it IS happening!

Dan

On the invites spreadsheet, we haven't seen any invites received by non-owners yet. Invites happen usually 20-24 days before delivery. People first receive invites, then they configure, then they are assigned a VIN, and then a delivery date. We ask for each of these four dates. 301 non-owners from the US have updated their data in the last 2 weeks, 80 in the last week. Out of those 80, 23 are from California and none of these people have reported receiving an invite yet, let alone a VIN or delivery.

I can think of two possible explanations:
1. These people might have used a relative's account.
2. Tesla produced a bunch of cars but didn't deliver them because they needed the new version of suspension coils or some other newer part. These specific cars didn't match any of the existing owner configurations so they hand-picked some non-owners.

View attachment 281144
The adage is always “photo or it didn’t happen” though this photo is not the one you took in Centralia... right? ;)

But do we know how they are calculating owner priority? For example, should owners who reserved after the reveal have priority over those who waited in line before the reveal? It appeals to my sense of fairness that they would not.

Based on a few reports of owners placing reservations in 2018 and getting configure e-mails shortly thereafter, I would say any owner jumps the line.

Reactions: Snow Drift and dm33
Not believing the hype here. Those new owners either paid for their invites, or had a family member/friend put the invite in for them. There are still hundreds, if not thousands of owners that still haven't received their invites to configure.

To play devil's advocate (for fun): imagine there are thousands of Model 3 owner reservations in the greater Los Angeles area--so many that Model 3 delivery slots are booked solid for the next two months. Or, perhaps more truck slots to LA aren't available at a reasonable cost. If Tesla cannot possibly deliver a car to those owners for two months, what's the point in sending them an invitation to configure? Meanwhile, Tesla is making cars that it needs to sell. Where shall it send those cars?

Reactions: UrsS