Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non tesla owners using tesla chargers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that would be quite the adventure if someone used a third party adapter on a supercharger! I am sure someone will try eventually though. o_O

The outcome would be shocking probably to say the least. Hopefully the SC would limit its output, but depending on what type of gizmo they concocted to adapt to the SC, sparks would probably be an understatement. "Don't try this at home" or "watch this" two phrases come to mind...o_O

Reactions: azred
Well, you are keeping up the Canadian nice thing....

Cool that you're here checking things out.

If the majority of the posters here are right about the property owner footing the cost, then I would assume the property owner would want as many patrons as he could get to offset his cost.
No, I think you misunderstood. The equipment is provided by Tesla and installation is paid by Tesla. The only cost for businesses with destination charging is the electricity. When it's not being used there is no cost to recover. These Wall Connectors are provided by Tesla for marketing purposes. If they're frequently occupied by other EVs, that kind of defeats the purpose and Tesla may find other uses for its marketing budget.

In general I agree with the feedback from others. Main thing I don't like is that those EV companies did not make an effort to enable such options (not your fault though)... which brings more people to use the few options from Tesla (this destinations tend to have only a pair of such chargers) .
Maybe u can lobby with other owners to ask such companies to follow suit in the meantime :)

Hello Tesla community.

Angela and I are both EV drivers. Nissan leaf and Smart ED. There has been the very odd occasion where either through bad planning or an outage that it would have been convenient to take on an hour or so of charge at a Tesla destination charger. Eg, winery, hotel etc. There is currently a device that allows connection from a J1772 plug to a Tesla destination charger. We are thinking of purchasing one of these devices as a backup plan. Being a courteous Canadian I would like to hear some feedback on what Tesla owners think of this. I know Tesla owners are able to utilize both CHaDemo and J1772 chargers but wondering how this sits with the Tesla community.

Teslas are not affordable for us at this time so that is not a solution.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

John and Angela.

No, I think you misunderstood. The equipment is provided by Tesla and installation is paid by Tesla. The only cost for businesses with destination charging is the electricity. When it's not being used there is no cost to recover. These Wall Connectors are provided by Tesla for marketing purposes. If they're frequently occupied by other EVs, that kind of defeats the purpose and Tesla may find other uses for its marketing budget.
I don't believe "frequently" is an issue. Most are at hotels or resorts of some kind and so far other EVs don't have the range to travel. If they are local, they likely don't need to charge anyway, and if they do it will be a quick charge as there isn't much capacity in their batteries. I've traveled quite a bit in my Model S and haven't yet seen anyone in another brand of EV use a Tesla charger. The usual problem is encroachers. That is the cars on either side of the two Tesla spots are parked about 1/3 of the way over the line changing the two spots into one.

Love the juxtaposition between the Motor Coach and Smart car :cool:
What is the voltage and amperage of your onboard charger...Level 2?

Thanks for the offer. We do the same and when we are in Canada we put our 10KW juicebox on plug share. It comes with us when we live in the US (about 4 months of the year. We mount it in the motorhome as that is our main charge source for our smart ED. Here are a couple shots. Works well.
30589610931_2088d5982d_h.jpg

Love the juxtaposition between the Motor Coach and Smart car :cool:
What is the voltage and amperage of your onboard charger...Level 2?

On the smart car it's only 3.3 KW so pretty slow but really no big deal as it is only an 18 KW battery so...

We generally only charge it at home but lately we have been noticing more and more level 2 chargers showing up at the shopping areas we frequent so we have been doing a fair amount of opportunity charging. We always leave a note on the station indicating that we are opportunity charging and to text us if someone needs an essential charge. No one has texted us yet though. Lots of level 2 chargers out there.

Interesting how the consensus on this has changed over the past couple years. There have been a couple threads in the past about this and the sentiment was 180-degrees different at the time.

FWIW, I don't think the adapter is quite for sale yet, but it is apparently coming soon. I'd make use of it, the local ski hill installed destination chargers, but not any J1772's.

I think the distinction is whether the charger is really a "destination charger" or whether it's just a HPWC mounted in an accessible commercial location.

If it's a true destination charger--appearing in Tesla's database--then Tesla subsidized it to some degree. I still say that use by other vehicles is the property owner's decision, but I don't know whether Tesla tries to enforce restrictions on the recipients of these chargers related to other vehicles charging.

If it's a HPWC that Tesla didn't subsidize, then the choice is unambiguously the property owner's.

If its a HPWC that was provided by Tesla, it should only be used by Tesla's for charging. If its an emergency, sure, no big deal, but not on a regular basis.

If a property owner bought it, then of course its up to them, although presumably if they wanted to encourage other EVs they would add a J1772 or some other outlet as well.

If its a HPWC that was provided by Tesla, it should only be used by Tesla's for charging. If its an emergency, sure, no big deal, but not on a regular basis.

If a property owner bought it, then of course its up to them, although presumably if they wanted to encourage other EVs they would add a J1772 or some other outlet as well.

Unless the T&C's of their agreement with Tesla says they must only serve Teslas, I don't agree with this.

Everyone seems to have similar thoughts. So do I. Several Nissan dealers have generously allowed me to use their CHAdeMO, and have never charged. I also regularly use a CHAdeMO that was supplied by Nissan but is in a public facility.
Tesla owners benefit from the generosity of others. Owners of Destination Chargers make their own access decisions, but I'll wager that almost all would be happy for any EV to use their facilities so long as they patronise the establishment.
Anyway Tesla provides a Clipper Creek J1772 for every Destination Charger, IIRC so clearly tesla wants other BEV's to charger also.
Enjoy! If you pass my area I'll happily let you use my HPWC and let you avoid paying for public parking in the process.

Thanks for the offer. We do the same and when we are in Canada we put our 10KW juicebox on plug share. It comes with us when we live in the US (about 4 months of the year. We mount it in the motorhome as that is our main charge source for our smart ED. Here are a couple shots. Works well.

30899829046_fa9c7c1344_z.jpg

21230577955_8035498ffa_b.jpg

OMG....Please adopt me

...using the destination chargers are fine with me. I do not think many property owners that host them would have a problem with it. If ever in my area, you are welcome to my NEMA 14-50 with every adapter imaginable.

Hello Tesla community.

Angela and I are both EV drivers. Nissan leaf and Smart ED. There has been the very odd occasion where either through bad planning or an outage that it would have been convenient to take on an hour or so of charge at a Tesla destination charger. Eg, winery, hotel etc. There is currently a device that allows connection from a J1772 plug to a Tesla destination charger. We are thinking of purchasing one of these devices as a backup plan. Being a courteous Canadian I would like to hear some feedback on what Tesla owners think of this. I know Tesla owners are able to utilize both CHaDemo and J1772 chargers but wondering how this sits with the Tesla community.

Teslas are not affordable for us at this time so that is not a solution.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

John and Angela.

Go for it. In many locations Tesla provides a J1772 along with the HPWCs specifically for other makes. Just don't leave your car plugged in/parked when you're done, but my guess is judging by your question, you would never do this.

Historically Tesla owners have paid about $2,000 per vehicle (included in the purchase price) to further the development of the Tesla charging network. That, among other things, is why Tesla vehicles tend to be priced more that other EV's which have no investment at all in a charging network for their vehicles.

Due to this, a world wide network of private charging stations has sprung up, and is financially supported by a fee paid by every person plugging in and are usually charged per minute, or per kilowatt used.

If you plug into the TESLA network you will be free riding on their investment. If you ask, you may be given permission to plug in your leaf, however they would have no obligation to allow you access.

Some higher end enterprises have also requested Tesla charging capabilities and do so as they wish to attract the more well to do Tesla clientele. Again, you may request to tap into their network, but if possible you should avail yourself of a blink or other such commercial charging location.

30899829046_fa9c7c1344_z.jpg

21230577955_8035498ffa_b.jpg

Best pics ever posted on this site.

Plugshare available at my house anytime, and I have parking for your motorhome.

Historically Tesla owners have paid about $2,000 per vehicle (included in the purchase price) to further the development of the Tesla charging network. That, among other things, is why Tesla vehicles tend to be priced more that other EV's which have no investment at all in a charging network for their vehicles.

Due to this, a world wide network of private charging stations has sprung up, and is financially supported by a fee paid by every person plugging in and are usually charged per minute, or per kilowatt used.

If you plug into the TESLA network you will be free riding on their investment. If you ask, you may be given permission to plug in your leaf, however they would have no obligation to allow you access.

Some higher end enterprises have also requested Tesla charging capabilities and do so as they wish to attract the more well to do Tesla clientele. Again, you may request to tap into their network, but if possible you should avail yourself of a blink or other such commercial charging location.
I'm sorry, but you dont know what you're talking about. How many erroneous statement can you make in one post? This discussion was about Tesla destination charging, which is HPWCs donated by Tesla to hotels, tourist attractions, etc. which are used by such establishments to attract business. The recipients pay for the electricity but have no equipment cost. This has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla superchargers.

No, Tesla owners have not historically paid $2000 per vehicle incuded in the purchase price for developing the network. That amount was what Tesla charged the original 60s for the DC charging hardware and software in the car ( or $2500 after purchase). Building the network itself is a marketing expense and unrelated to that figure. In fact, if a 60 owner wants to activate DC charging to use the CHAdeMO adapter it costs $1900, and that's without any access to supercharging.