Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non tesla owners using tesla chargers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t read through most of the responses, but personally, I feel your coming onto the forum to ask is a most honorable gesture, above and beyond what most folks would do. And if I had to wait a bit of time behind a person such as yourself, I wouldn’t mind at all.

There’s the Tesla community, which I’m proud to be a part of, and then there’s ultimately the EV community, that all EV owners are part of, regardless of brand. And I feel we’re all in it together, so to speak. I believe Musk feels the same way.

K lemme get off my soapbox before my breakfast gets cold.

I'm sure Musk is proud to be part of the EV community.

It doesn't appear that Tesla intends to subsidize the entire community's charging, however.

Were you with the car the entire time?

No, but Angela and I are usually pretty good about leaving one of these on our windshield. (Angela made this...yes she copied the design) This picture is old and the number is invalid as we get a new US number every time we come down for the winter but you get the idea. We quite often but not always check in at plugshare as well but don't know if we did that time.

We try to be polite members of the EV community. If we ever get a model 3 or used S to replace one of our existing EV's the shoe will be on the other foot so..... :)

Cheers

John

35186608375_3c20923d74_z.jpg

Fortunately, this is pretty much a moot issue anyway at this point. The newer Gen2 Tesla HPWC (Wall Connectors) that are provided by Tesla for free to places with destination chargers will ONLY charge Tesla vehicles. They communicate with the car via the supercharger type protocol (SWCAN) and the subsidized ones are set to not use the J1772 protocol any longer.

Ones you purchase from Tesla do not have this restriction, although it'd still be a silly idea to let someone use an adapter that hasn't been approved by Tesla on your EVSE and risk damaging your property.

Edit: Obviously there are still some Gen1 HPWC destination chargers which would function with such adapters. Hopefully once people destroy them they'll get replaced with Gen2.

Last edited:
This is pretty much a moot issue anyway at this point. The newer Gen2 Tesla HPWC (Wall Connectors) that are provided by Tesla for free to places with destination chargers will ONLY charge Tesla vehicles. They communicate with the car via the supercharger type protocol (SWCAN) and the subsidized ones are set to not use the J1772 protocol any longer.

Ones you purchase from Tesla do not have this restriction, although it'd still be a silly idea to let someone use an adapter that hasn't been approved by Tesla on your EVSE and risk damaging your property.

Edit: Obviously there are still some Gen1 HPWC destination chargers which would function with such adapters. Hopefully once people destroy them they'll get replaced with Gen2.

Which, along with the configuration of the European HPWC's, is an indicator of Tesla's intent with these chargers. The Tesla Destination Charging program isn't there to provide for everybody else's charging.

No, but Angela and I are usually pretty good about leaving one of these on our windshield. (Angela made this...yes she copied the design) This picture is old and the number is invalid as we get a new US number every time we come down for the winter but you get the idea. We quite often but not always check in at plugshare as well but don't know if we did that time.

We try to be polite members of the EV community. If we ever get a model 3 or used S to replace one of our existing EV's the shoe will be on the other foot so..... :)

Cheers

John

35186608375_3c20923d74_z.jpg

So it's unclear if this:
Webeevdrivers said:
No worries, and everyone got a charge

is true.

Which, along with the configuration of the European HPWC's, is an indicator of Tesla's intent with these chargers. The Tesla Destination Charging program isn't there to provide for everybody else's charging.
Not entirely true as I have installed Destination charging at two businesses and in both cases Tesla provided a Clipper Creek CS 60 with a Standard J1772 plug.

Not entirely true as I have installed Destination charging at two businesses and in both cases Tesla provided a Clipper Creek CS 60 with a Standard J1772 plug.
Certainly true. That provision was pointed out earlier... most of the thread has been about attempting to find workarounds for using HPWC's as part of the program... I should have been more specific.

Thanks.

No idea when they did this, or when they stopped doing it. I've recently contacted Tesla about getting destination chargers for install at three different business locations where I'm friends with the property owners who are receptive to it. I asked if they provide any J1772 solutions, and they only provide Gen2 HPWCs, and they're clear that they're for Tesla vehicles only, they're not to be modified, etc.

And, like I said, they've implemented a technical solution that requires the Tesla vehicle to authenticate with the Gen2 HPWC via a digital connection now, making them impossible to use with non-Tesla vehicles. Kudos to them. Tesla can't subsidize charging for other brands. Makes no sense.

Unfortunately, while Tesla's intent has been seemingly obvious for some time, there are even folks who acknowledge this, but condone trying to game the system anyway.

Countdown to somebody working on a SWCAN spoof device in 3....2....1....

Tesla doesn't pay for the electricity at destination chargers. The property owners do. That's why many are limited to "patrons only"
But you are missing the point that Tesla pays for the equipment to provide a service for their customers. So it's not really up to the business owner, and when have you ever seen a business owner monitor these chargers. We see EV spots getting ICEed all the time and no one is monitoring this. All they care about is if someone is coming into their business. Telsa will have to limit this through a hardware update to the new chargers.

Reactions: scaesare
But you are missing the point that Tesla pays for the equipment to provide a service for their customers. So it's not really up to the business owner, and when have you ever seen a business owner monitor these chargers. We see EV spots getting ICEed all the time and no one is monitoring this. All they care about is if someone is coming into their business. Telsa will have to limit this through a hardware update to the new chargers.
Indeed. What's more in addition to providing the equipment Tesla also pays for at least a portion of the installation...

Reactions: GMan324
This sounds like something that would have to be negotiated contractually between the business owner and Tesla. Both have legitimate interests. Tesla wants to provide charging for the people who drive their cars. The business owner wants to provide a service to their patrons. The business owner would prefer that everybody can use the chargers (service to their patrons) which are on their property and using up parking space, and at times when the parking lot is full, the business owner would want anybody to be able to park there. Tesla is spending money to provide the charger. The business owner is providing space in their parking lot.

The only solution is for the two to agree on terms and decide how those terms are to be enforced.

I wonder if an old non-supercharger 60 would be allowed to charge at a Gen2 SWCAN-only HPWC.
They are pretty rare and I think they don't travel much anyways (otherwise they would have paid to enable supercharging).
Just curious.
I'm 99.93% sure they'll be able to.

SWCAN is just the communication protocol. Supercharging being enabled is a configuration option in the car, as is other high-power DC charging (such as ChaDeMo). Every car will simply be enabled for HPWC/TWC capability, regardless of DC fast charging capability.

I guess I should just put this debate over Tesla's intentions to rest by citing a portion of an internal Tesla document that I recently was given:

wallconnector-destination-charging.jpg

If the fact that the destination charger network was intended only for Tesla vehicles wasn't already obvious, it should be now and this debate is over.
Is there a thread I can learn about what all those acronyms mean?

Reactions: daniel
This sounds like something that would have to be negotiated contractually between the business owner and Tesla. Both have legitimate interests. Tesla wants to provide charging for the people who drive their cars. The business owner wants to provide a service to their patrons. The business owner would prefer that everybody can use the chargers (service to their patrons) which are on their property and using up parking space, and at times when the parking lot is full, the business owner would want anybody to be able to park there. Tesla is spending money to provide the charger. The business owner is providing space in their parking lot.

The only solution is for the two to agree on terms and decide how those terms are to be enforced.
If the business owner would prefer that everybody can use the charging stations, he’s feee to install as many J1772s as he wants. On his own dime of course.