TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Non-Tesla Rim Question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EGuzzler, Jul 26, 2018.

1. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

I'm starting to think about winter tire options and am currently leaning towards buying used rim/tires. I found a set of tires and rims that came off an Infinity G, the rims are FAST Alloy. All specifications seem to be the same as Model 3 specs, except the rim offset. The aero wheel rims I have, have an offset of +40, these used rims have an offset of +35. My questions to you folks are:

1) Will this difference in offset cause problems for me?
    2) Can I buy a set of Tesla TPMS sensors and install them into these used tires/rims?
    3) Is there anything else I should be worried about when looking for used tires/rims for the TM3?

Thx.

2. brantse

brantse Member

I don't believe you'll notice a difference in 5 mm of offset. I think you'll be just fine with regards to that.

Yes, you should be able to just purchase and install your own TPMS sensors. Just make sure they are the correct ones /compatible. I only have experience with my early S, so don't know specifics regarding the part numbers.

The other characteristics you need to pay attention to for replacement rims (besides the obvious of bolt pattern) is that the diameter, specifically the internal clearance will fit over the brakes. If you're going to a larger rim size this won't be an issue. If the same or smaller, you may have issues. The other one, which tripped me up on my S, is that the S uses larger wheel bolts than many comparably sized cars (probably due to weight). I actually ended up having to bore out the bolt holes in a set of rims to even be able to fit "tuner" lugs.

• Informative x 1