Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nonengaging AEB/accident avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in CT over the weekend. At around 10PM, I was in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway. A car passed me on the left then moves to my(middle) lane. Soon after, he went back to the left all of a sudden. A split second later, I realized why as I noticed this huge object smack in the middle of the highway about 2/3 in my lane and 1/3 in the right lane.

A minivan that passed me on the left was vigilant and kind enough to swerve to the rumble strip, allowing me room to cut over to the left, barely avoiding hitting the object.

My car’s radar/camera failed to notice the object and never activated the AEB or automatically swerved to get out of the way. AP1 was off, but I have had an instance The usual beep-beep-beep warning of an impending collision never sounded.

i have the Blackvue recording of this. How do I upload it?

I don't understand why the radar isn't used more to identify stationary objects in front of the vehicle, particularly the two white trucks overturned and blocking the road in front of Teslas that they hit recently. Visual detection is not enough for these things.

Click "Upload and Image/File" in the bottom right while you are posting a reply, and select the dashcam file you want to upload.

I don't understand why the radar isn't used more to identify stationary objects in front of the vehicle, particularly the two white trucks overturned and blocking the road in front of Teslas that they hit recently. Visual detection is not enough for these things.

Click "Upload and Image/File" in the bottom right while you are posting a reply, and select the dashcam file you want to upload.

That “Upload and ...” was only allowing me to upload pics, not videos.

From what I have read about EAB on several car makers, they really don't work for the case you are describing. A stationary object on the roadway. Consumer reports did a study with Cadillac, Subaru and another maker I cant remember. None of them activated for the non-moving object/car in the road. This is why we have seen Tesla's hit stopped vehicles including police cars and firetrucks even with autopilot on. Also in the consumer reports testing even when an object is moving and detected with a delta over 45 mph none of the cars tested stopped without impact. The system is designed to reduce impact forces not prevent them. At 30 mph delta some scenarios impact was prevented.