Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nonsense from John Petersen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say something positive about JP since the karma in this thread is pretty rough. I had messaged him about comparison companies for Tesla several years ago, in terms of valuation and profitability, which I couldn't really think of any good ones. He mentioned Amazon, which I think he meant in a bad way, but I still think it was a great comparison and it is still one of the best comparisons today for Tesla IMO (and ironically AMZN has also gone up a few hundred percent since then).

Still wonder what his deal his, seems like he has an axe to grind for some reason(s). Too bad really because he seems like a fairly smart guy with some real experience.

I will say something positive about JP since the karma in this thread is pretty rough. I had messaged him about comparison companies for Tesla several years ago, in terms of valuation and profitability, which I couldn't really think of any good ones. He mentioned Amazon, which I think he meant in a bad way, but I still think it was a great comparison and it is still one of the best comparisons today for Tesla IMO (and ironically AMZN has also gone up a few hundred percent since then).

Still wonder what his deal his, seems like he has an axe to grind for some reason(s). Too bad really because he seems like a fairly smart guy with some real experience.

Look up Axion Power. He was deeply invested in it and Tesla with their Li-Ion batteries were going to upend their world back in 2010

Sorry to be picky, but you forget that AXPW did not one, but two, reverse splits. They did 1:50, and 1:35. Their IPO price, of what would today be a single share, was about $21,000.

It's been almost 5 years since Petersen posted (http://seekingalpha.com/article/296...the-balance-and-found-wanting#comment-1942657):

I liked Axion at $2.30 and I like it even more at $0.56.
Before June 30, 2013, the stock prices of Axion and Tesla will cross, with Axion climbing and Tesla falling.

So here we are just a couple weeks away from the 3rd anniversary of his prediction, with Tesla over $200 and Axion (pre-reverse-split) at $0.00001 How many orders of magnitude wrong is that?

It's been almost 5 years since Petersen posted (http://seekingalpha.com/article/296...the-balance-and-found-wanting#comment-1942657):

So here we are just a couple weeks away from the 3rd anniversary of his prediction, with Tesla over $200 and Axion (pre-reverse-split) at $0.00001 How many orders of magnitude wrong is that?

Looks like 7 orders of magnitude wrong. That's so wrong, our human brain has a hard time grokking just how big that is. That's 4 orders of magnitude beyond "become a millionaire by starting as a billionaire and starting a car company / airline" (which is only a 3 order of magnitude value destruction). Do that twice (turn billions into millions), and then lose another order of magnitude.

i always follow someone who's company did a
1:35 reverse split, then a 1:50 reverse split, then a 1:400 reverse split
for a cumulative
1 share for every 700,000 you used to have, and is still 1 cent per share
as a cautionary tale

Just goes to show that there really ARE numbers much smaller than 1 cent :)

Nice of John to show us that.

So all he is basically saying is if California didn't have an environmental mandate and the ZEV credit program, Tesla wouldn't be as successful as they are. Well, they do have it. So, is he lobbying against the ZEV credit program? Oops, Quebec and other places are also introducing such programs. The argument foisted in the article (which you can read without registering if you view the Browser Source) is trite, it just goes on and on, that's all.

The desperation amuses me.

Petersen is still trying to beat down the Tesla. It's funny and sad at the same time. How many angles has he tried to attack Tesla?

1. Electrical grid
2. Life cycle assessments
3. Resource depletion
4. Finances (this can be broken down into like 10 separate sub-items)
5. That the early adopters would consume demand and then demand would vaporize
6. Car fires
7. The ZEV credits
8. Gigafactory
9. The "recalls"
10. Arguing about resource depletion and how short range hybrids/EVs would be better (despite no understanding that the batteries operate differently)

Those are just the ones that come to my mind, sure there are others.

Looks like the past 5 years with him and Tesla have been "the throw spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks".

Think he's cried wolf too many times and lost all credibility.