TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

nonstandard colors

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AustinPowers, Aug 31, 2012.

1. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Not standard colors?? That's the first ever mention I heard of this. What's that all about? I thought we knew all the colors that are supposed to be available. Even Elon didn't get a "not standard" color.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

#2 gg_got_a_tesla, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Rob, I'll gladly work from home in Newark (right next to Fremont) on the 11th (or whichever date after) and have lunch/coffee with you after you pick up your Model S! :) That is if you have the time before you head back up I-880 towards Napa and are inclined to showing your new car to a fanboy!

There was a brief window early on (back in March/April) when the first 6 or so SSLs had the $12k option to choose a true custom color outside of the sig-red/pearl-white/black/silver. Tesla was going to pull the car off the line, custom paint it and put it back. That undocumented option was done away with shortly after. As I recall, roblab had picked a shade of brown (apparently not the production brown).

Rob's color might indeed be the BMW/Mini's Hot Chocolate Brown - here's the PPG paint app (search for Hot Chocolate in there): Paint It

3. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Ah, thanks for the info. That fact must have passed me by.
    Otoh, I would have rather ordered the standard white and then have the car foil-wrapped in a custom color. Would have been much cheaper but still achieve the same effect, wouldn't it?

4. DrDave

DrDave Member

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

It's PPG code 926427, "Chocolate Brown Pearl". It looks a lot like the mini's brown, but I don't know it's the same: Could be. Not much red in it, more gold, but I can't tell with your "Paint It" site.

There has been a lot of Tesla angst about the whole custom color thing. I have been told I was not to talk about it, as it seems to be embarrassing or worse. I love the color and glad I got it painted.

As to which cars were painted with the robots and which were hand painted, I have been asked not to talk about it, DrDave. So when you say "That's not true", I am only going with what I was told, so I am probably wrong.

6. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I think Elon got exactly the color he wanted. Put another way: If Elon's most desired color was purple, purple would have been one of the standard colors... :)

"It's good to be the king." - Mel Brooks

7. roblab

roblab Active Member

I would love to meet you and compare car colors - bring the mini if you've got it. And email me so I can keep you updated better as to last minute changes, and we can arrange. stelling at napanet dot net. I answer emails, but I don't always get through the new posts every day.

8. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Hope you guys have fun. Share pics, ok?

9. goyogi

goyogi Member

Yup, way back in this promotional video he wanted black.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrtXXrRa5OI&t=4m10s

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

You bet!

Thanks, Rob; I've emailed you - see you on the 11th!