Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOOB, Can anyone give an earful on my Tesla S 60 purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I am curious if anyone wants to take a second to help me make a better decision. I currently drive a BMW i3 and I am addicted to electric. I have always wanted to upgrade but just has never worked financially. I have the opp to buy a 2013 blue 60 model S for about $42 to $45000 this week. Its a barter between a friend and myself.

It has a lot of features including the 7 person seating. The car KILLS my i3 (120 mi range, 7 sec 0-6 and 175 hp) and I really love the modern style of this ride. My question is, would you do this? Is this a right price or a good value? I mean with all of the new Tesla 3 purchases does that make this car worth much less now?

If I get this car and want out at a later date can I get out easily? I rarely see the 60 model for sale, that is my biggest concern. YES I wish it was an 85 or 90 but it isnt, and right now that is just not on my plan.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback! Thanks!

Reactions: jbcarioca
That's a hard choice I can't make. But here are some facts.

PROS:
-it's a Tesla, Nice experience.
-Supercharger enabled?????
-You can have it RIGHT NOW

CONS:
-No autopilot features.
-Slowest charging of any Model S.
-0-60 time about the same as base model 3 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I might consider it at around 42k, but I'd probably keep my eyes out for a good deal on an 85. I picked up a CPO 2012 85 for about $51k eight months ago. In any event, the Model S is a lot more car than the i3 so I'm sure you'd be happy with it. I picked up the 85 after my wife got an i3 and I got hooked to electric drive like you. The i3 is also a great car, and actually more nimble and easier to drive around in the city than the Model S (which is a much larger vehicle). Both are great cars in their own way. But I do prefer my Model S over the wife's i3.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm a 60 owner and I've traveled all over the country and had a blast with mine. I've seen some 85's in that general price area (~50k) so I would take a look around first but if your goal is stay in the low 40k range I would consider it.

Last edited:
How are Tesla out of warranty repairs? You have about a year before that comes into play unless you have the extended warranty. Will you use the rear facing seats? Do you need the larger size? Can you wait? If you do not need the size and capacity and can wait, the model 3 looks awfully nice and probably cheaper to own.

I drive both the i3 and the Model S daily...and it really depends on your use case. For commuting by myself in a city, I MUCH prefer the small and nimble i3, plus the Automatic Cruise Control (which the 2013 Tesla doesn't have). For carrying the family to dinner, or road trips, it's the comfort and range of the Tesla hands down.

If your daily driving is anywhere near 60 miles/day and there are winter conditions, the i3 struggles (lest you have a REX), and the Tesla wins there. If you often park in a public parking garage, the size of the Tesla can be problematic. It's a BIG car, the same footprint as the Honda Odyssey Minivan, making navigating many city garages troublesome, so the i3 wins there.

The i3 is about twice as efficient as the Model S...yet the Model S 60 can go twice as far. Some consider this a win for the i3 and think Tesla's approach is brute force (i.e. throw heavy batteries at the problem), and some consider this a win for the Tesla and think the i3's battery tech isn't up to snuff. Both are correct.

Service wise, for me both have been similar. The i3 has free BWM service for the first 4 years, the Model S not. But the Tesla Elves come and pick up the car and do their magic and return it, the i3 has to go to the dealer. The Model S has had many niggling issues (all covered), the i3 none (it's not a REX...those had issues). Warranty is the same on both (Model S 60 doesn't get the unlimited battery warranty of the 85).

The i3 mobile App sucks...the Tesla mobile App is okay, and there are much better third party Apps for the Tesla.

The i3 cannot go on road trips (even with CCS charging)...Model S can! Supercharging is really cool the first few times, then gets a bit old, especially if traveling with other's (read wife and children) who aren't as enamored with the technology as you and willing to put up with the quirks.

Model S beats i3 on external style. i3 beats Model S on internal style (well, Giga or Terra anyway).

Hope that helps.

I bought a 60 and two days later did a 1500 mile trip. I would have loved an 85, but I bought the 60 from a known person. That has value to me. If it is a friend that takes care of their cars then it adds a lot of dollar value to me. Buy it today and don't look back. The 60 is now the car we use for everything except me driving to work.

John

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I have a S60 and recently leased an i3. Really like how i3 drives, but S60 is way better in every way.
I don't get the "Slowest charging of any Model S", all MS have 40 amp on board charger, 80 amp (dual charger) is an option regardless the battery size of the car.

The price for a 25k miles S60 is very reasonable, your friend can sell it publicly within a few days.

I have a S60 and recently leased an i3. Really like how i3 drives, but S60 is way better in every way.
I don't get the "Slowest charging of any Model S", all MS have 40 amp on board charger, 80 amp (dual charger) is an option regardless the battery size of the car.

The price for a 25k miles S60 is very reasonable, your friend can sell it publicly within a few days.

The "slowest charging" is probably in reference to supercharging. The 60 spends the least amount of time at "full throttle supercharging" because it has the smallest battery. It then begins to taper which obviously slows things down. But, they all do that at some point. It really only makes a difference if you need to charge near full, so if the superchargers are spaced well (120-150 miles) It shouldn't make too big of a difference (though a bigger battery would still be a bit quicker).