Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question. 80A for HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SpudLime

Jun 10, 2018
Leesburg, Va
I tried a search and I’m sure my search fu is terrible.

So apologies if this has been asked as nausium.

Just had my HPWC installed by the electrician. He installed a 60Amp circuit breaker per the recommendation I got from Tesla.

That being said, the electrician ran wiring that can support up to an 80Amp breaker.

He said he could do either. I said to do the 60A per what I got from Tesla support. He is coming back next week to install my whole house surge protector at the panel and said he can switch to the 80A at that time if it will work.

My model S 75D will be here in a few weeks.

So, can I utilize the 80A circuit breaker and get even faster charging?

Guy said no cost to swap it out.

Your advice is appreciative.

*correction 85Amp CB

*2nd correction. 80A per the HPWC instruction manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: MelaniainLA

Just had my HPWC installed by the electrician. He installed a 60Amp circuit breaker per the recommendation I got from Tesla.

That being said, the electrician ran wiring that can support up to an 80 Amp breaker.

He said he could do either. I said to the 60A per what I got from Tesla support. He is coming back next week to install my whole house surge protector at the panel and said he can switch to the 80A at that time if it will work.

75D charges max 48A with HPWC installed or 40 amps with Gen1 cable and 32 amps with Gen2 cable on newer cars. 100D charges max 72 amps. You’re FINE with what you have BUT if it’s free max out he capacity so you have a large buffer.

Right, might as well max it out if it's free and the wiring will support it. Then if you ever get a car with a larger charger, or have someone stop by that can take advantage of it, you are set.

It would also be useful if you ever want to have two HPWCs in loadsharing/loadbalancing mode. That does need more wiring between the two units, also (for the serial comms between them).

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So last winter I got by on a 30amp outlet, but here near Green Bay this is too little to be able to consistently schedule charging to finish up just in time for my commute.
When cold battery/interior warming actually would consume range.
Battery warming time is what made charge end time inconsistent.
Also consider charging itself makes some heat so I thinking you need to charge on the cold there are efficiency benefits to high amperage. Can run the heater and once minimum charging temp is reached can make some additional heat with with charging.

The 30amp outlet had plenty of time to charge the battery but I am still installing the wall connector, I think it will be worth it in winter and on those once a year quick turn around stops at home, could have saved me a supercharger stop 30 minutes from home a month ago. Got home from a long trip and needed to empty car and get right back on the road due to a family emergency, the slow 30amp plug was good for 4 miles while unloading the car, causing me to make a detour to a supercharger for 10 minutes of juice wasting 20minutes total. Wall connector would have avoided that since the car does have dual chargers.

That being said, the electrician ran wiring that can support up to an 80Amp breaker.

He said he could do either. I said to do the 60A per what I got from Tesla support. He is coming back next week to install my whole house surge protector at the panel and said he can switch to the 80A at that time if it will work.

*correction 85Amp CB

*2nd correction. 80A per the HPWC instruction manual.

If you go above a 60 amp breaker, you need a local disconnect at the HPWC to be code compliant. You also need to redo the load calculations to ensure your service is adequate.

I would be wary since the electrician did not mention the disconnect to you, unless there is a sub panel or main panel near the HPWC which will fill the role of the disconnect.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you go above a 60 amp breaker, you need a local disconnect at the HPWC to be code compliant. You also need to redo the load calculations to ensure your service is adequate.
Oh, holy cow. I was reading this thread and was kind of thinking, "hm, whatever." But I had forgotten all about that. Yes, that disconnect switch if it's above a 60A circuit is a solid code requirement, so it might require a different installation. But if the breaker panel is right there in the room with it, most inspectors will consider that as the disconnect switch, so if that is the setup there, then just switching the breaker might be allowed.

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime and mongo
The disconnect switch is a local requirement - not present in our area. We had a 100A circuit installed for our HPWC in a new house, and all they did was run the 100A wiring in a conduit inside the wall, connecting it directly to a breaker panel - no disconnect switch.

As for the OP's question about 60A or 80A, we've got two Tesla vehicles. One is using an HPWC on a 100A circuit and the other uses a 14-50 outlet (with Tesla's 14-50 connector). With the HPWC, our 2012 S P85 (which was traded-in 2 weeks ago for an X 100D) would get 80A of charging; our S 100D only gets 48A of charger (because we didn't spend the extra $$$ for the 72A upgrade); and on the 14-50 outlet, our new X 100D only gets 40A.

For overnight charging, 40A charging (on a 50A) circuit is more than enough to fully recharge a 100 battery pack (up to 90%).

The only time you need faster charging is if you are driving during the day, and then need to quickly get a large charge before heading out for another round of driving or a road trip later in the day. Though with the supercharger network, if you are heading out on a road trip, it'll be faster to recharge there than on a 60A or 80A HPWC.

Though if the electrician only needs to swap out the breaker and then change the setting in the HPWC to upgrade to an 80A circuit - the OP should do that, just in case you ever do need a faster charge...

Reactions: SpudLime
The disconnect switch is a local requirement - not present in our area. We had a 100A circuit installed for our HPWC in a new house, and all they did was run the 100A wiring in a conduit inside the wall, connecting it directly to a breaker panel - no disconnect switch.
Look, I wasn't just saying that for my health. It most definitely is not just a local requirement. It is National Electric Code Article 625, subsection 43 in the 2017 updated version.
Quote: "625.43 Disconnecting Means. For equipment rated more than
60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting
means shall be provided
and installed in a readily accessible
location. The disconnecting means shall be lockable open in
accordance with 110.25."

Your installation of a wall connector on a 100A circuit without that disconnecting means violates national electric code.

Here's a link with some discussion on it:
Interpretation of NEC 625.42 as it relates to 110.25 and 625.19

Reactions: mongo
Yes. I always follow anything above 50 amps to use a disconnect switch.

Also, 100amp disconnect switch can be had for about 30-50 bucks via ebay btw if anyone is curious.

Run 2-2-2-4 SER Aluminum to 100amp disconnect switch. Then run 3-gauge CU to HPWC. Will be cheaper to do that.

Look, I wasn't just saying that for my health. It most definitely is not just a local requirement. It is National Electric Code Article 625, subsection 43 in the 2017 updated version.
Quote: "625.43 Disconnecting Means. For equipment rated more than
60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting
means shall be provided
and installed in a readily accessible
location. The disconnecting means shall be lockable open in
accordance with 110.25."

Your installation of a wall connector on a 100A circuit without that disconnecting means violates national electric code.

Here's a link with some discussion on it:
Interpretation of NEC 625.42 as it relates to 110.25 and 625.19

• Helpful
Reactions: tga and Rocky_H