Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question about daily charging/plugging in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

disagree

hos epi to polu
Feb 20, 2016
chicago, il
Hey friends,

My X is parked in our detached garage and the app is telling me I have 194 miles of range. It is cold out and I'd have to put on shoes to plug it in.

What I'm wondering is if I should plug it in and get to 90%?

Specifically: I don't expect to have to drive anywhere close to 194 miles tomorrow, but the roads are a mess and the temperature is expected to peak in the mid-teens. Is daily topping off advised in these conditions?

Generally: Should I make a habit of charging to 90% every night, regardless of temperature and/or how much or how little I drove that day or expect to drive the next?

Appreciate the input. Thanks!

I would say it's a good idea based on the unknowns. Nothing would be more stressful than, say an accident that causes traffic and having to choose between heat and making it home. We had a fair amount of snow yesterday and my normal 41 mile drive took 74 miles of range. A round trip of 80 took almost 150 from me. Better safe than sorry in unpredictable weather.

Reactions: disagree
Tesla says to plug it in at every opportunity. That means if the charger is in the garage, plug it in each time you park. No need to wait until the end of the day.

I think in this case it would have saved you a trip back out to the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_6912.PNG
    IMG_6912.PNG
    240.8 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: disagree